Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle that's about 20 years old that I'll be buying off a family member sometime soon for coyote hunting. Anyone have any comments on the accuracy out to 200 yards, because I've heard some pretty poor reviews on that topic. If those reviews turn out to be mostly true, does anyone know a place where I can accurize it?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I've got a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle that's about 20 years old that I'll be buying off a family member sometime soon for coyote hunting. Anyone have any comments on the accuracy out to 200 yards, because I've heard some pretty poor reviews on that topic. If those reviews turn out to be mostly true, does anyone know a place where I can accurize it?
Go on YouTube and find Hickok45's videos on the mini 14. He pretty much thinks all the accuracy issues about it are nothing but bunk.

In fact if you watch a whole bunch of his videos, you soon figure out that pretty much all modern firearms are inherently accurate. We all find that we rend to shoot better with certain guns, but if you put almost any gun in a vise and shoot it at a target it will shoot straight. Mini 14s are no exception. I wish I had one.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If it turns out to be true you can probably accurize it your self I did mine myself.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I put a John Masen muzzle brake a Morod and Techsight rear site. The biggest improvement was with the Morod. The Accustrut is the same thing. Its a tack driver now even when barrel is hot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Mo-Rod is pretty damn expensive for a couple of hunks of metal. It must improve the accuracy a lot more than it looks like it would.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mine was pretty accurate for the first few shots then it wasn't so good the Morod fixed that. So I think it was worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a link to someone that was an engineer at Ruger. I don't know the Mini-14, so I'm not familiar with his descriptions, but they may help you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi SkyRock - I don't see your link. Could you please post it as I'd really like to see what the former Ruger engineer has to say...

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have owned a couple mini-14's one older model with the 180- prefix and it was barely minute of paper plate at 100 yards :( The other was an NRA commemorative new model with a 16" barrel and this was much better. I could get consistent 4" groups at 100 yards. On the perfect union a lot of guys are adding brace rods to the barrels and getting better accuracy from the older mini's. IMO the newer minis are decent combat guns but if you are expecting varmint rifle accuracy you should look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I wonder if the Ruger engineer was refering to an older 180 series or the newer 580 series. Mine shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards. When I have a flyer I don't know if it's the gun or me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm consistently getting 1.5" groups at 50 and 100 yards with my 582-series Mini-14 Tactical using just iron sights. Not quite as good yet with my new scope since I'm still working on getting it sighted in.

I think the flyers are definitely me...

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I can easy get 1 moa out of my Tactical w a 3-9X40 BDC Nikon. Factory loads or my own.
As far as the article goes the Mini in orginal form beats Milspec moa. And certainly do minute of coyote at 200yds.
I would say the supposed engineer was disgruntled employee with an ax to grind and probably not into the tests as deep if at all. But hey it's on the net, it must be true!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have owned a couple mini-14's one older model with the 180- prefix and it was barely minute of paper plate at 100 yards :( The other was an NRA commemorative new model with a 16" barrel and this was much better. I could get consistent 4" groups at 100 yards. On the perfect union a lot of guys are adding brace rods to the barrels and getting better accuracy from the older mini's. IMO the newer minis are decent combat guns but if you are expecting varmint rifle accuracy you should look elsewhere.
The guys on perfect union are right. As far as varmit rifle accuracy goes I think my mini would be good I can regularly hit clay pidgeons at 300 yards with my open sight 185 series. That's about as far away I would shoot a varmit unless I had a scoped rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
that article is old pre heavy barrel.I have seen this also on the perfect union and it gets tossed around when accuracy is mentioned especially when comparing to AR's.

Mine has had upgrades,but will shoot sub moa at 50. I have not had the opportunity to shoot 100yrds yet.

i think it's in large because of the Troy chassis and how rigid it is.Just as well it is heavy compared to the original Ranch stock. Once my red dot (trs25) gets here i will see what i can get.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts