Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my Mini-14 for about a month now, and have put about 400 rounds through it with no issues, using just the iron sights that came on it. I have a tactical with the ATI folding stock. I was using 50 yards since I can barely see the target at 100 yards. :eek:

Anyhow, more or less for the 'fun' of it, I picked up a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1x Red Dot Sight along with 2 UTG Risers. Medium Profile,

and High Profile.

I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, but I'm a relative "noob" when it comes to rifles. I thought the risers might allow me to use the red dot while still utilizing the factory sights if I wanted to. However, the Mini-14 sights use the rail 'channel' as part of the sights line so whether I mount the TRS-25 straight to the rail or use either of the risers, it's blocking that channel.

I guess my question is are there any risers that will keep that channel open so I can still use the iron sights at the same time as having the red dot mounted?

I'm mostly just shooting this for going to the range and targets. I'd like to get decent out to 100 yards. I'm OK at 50 yards with just the factory sights. At 100 yards, I can barely get the factory sights on the target center. Since the red dot is just a 1x, it's not going to help in that regard but I thought perhaps with the MOA adjustments I might be able to find something that works for me. Or, would I be better of getting a magnified optic for this?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This does not really answer your question but here are some thoughts. I have the Tactical Mini with the synthetic stock, a low pickatinny rail using the ruger ring dovetails and a Primary Arms 3X compac scope .....bottom line is it is too high to get a cheek lock on the stock and I have even added an add on comb ....and though I have never tried your stock configuration I have read that it is an even lower cheek lock area than the synthetic stock ...I point this out for this reason ...parallex on all but the most expensive glass makes a solid cheek lock very needed if you ever want to go to glass and the risers you have may even be tall for red dots...bottom line I have gone back to the 30mm rings and a Burris 1X4 TAC30 w/illuminated reticule ...even this barely gets the cheek lock done so watch your height ...your quest for irons and optics may be tuff with the amount of the drop on the stocks.

Good Luck

Bear

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip and information. I actually just adjusted the cheek rest on my stock all the way up after adding the Red Dot. Without shooting it, I can't really tell if it's going to work or not. My initial impression is that it's going to be a problem finding a compatible combination.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thank you for the tip and information. I actually just adjusted the cheek rest on my stock all the way up after adding the Red Dot. Without shooting it, I can't really tell if it's going to work or not. My initial impression is that it's going to be a problem finding a compatible combination.
Since I have the same rifle with the ATI folding stock and am interested in getting a scope, please follow-up with what you discover after shooting.

Thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I have the regular stock Tactical and I use Rugers rings w a 3-9X40 Nikon Prostaf BDC and get 1 moa with factory 60 gr Hornady and my own loads using 55gr Hornady FMJBT and 75gr Hornady BTHP Match bullets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just bought a Weigand scope mount rail and a UTG 3-9x40 CQB scope for my Mini-14 tactical. Package should be arriving today - I'll let everyone know how they work once I have a chance to install and do some shooting.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Tagging for interest. I want to see what everyone's thoughts are here as I'm thinking of adding an optic to my Mini, but so far, I'm finding most options are going to be way too high.

·
Registered
141 Posts
heymatthew - the price I paid for the Weigand rail was $53 and the Bug Buster scope was $79 with free shipping from Amazon. I mounted both on my Mini last night and am going to shoot it at the range today. The setup definitely adds some weight (a little over a pound), but doesn't feel too bad. I'll just have to get used to it as I've never had a scope on a rifle before.

I'll post the results/impressions as soon as possible.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
heymatthew - the price I paid for the Weigand rail was $53 and the Bug Buster scope was $79 with free shipping from Amazon. I mounted both on my Mini last night and am going to shoot it at the range today. The setup definitely adds some weight (a little over a pound), but doesn't feel too bad. I'll just have to get used to it as I've never had a scope on a rifle before.

I'll post the results/impressions as soon as possible.
Hows the height? Do you find that you can comfortably hold the rifle and still get a good look through the optic?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just got back from the range.

1. The height is perfect - very comfortable, normal position to see through the scope. The Weigand rail sits very low and the UTG rings are medium height.

2. The scope (UTG 3-9x40 CQB) is very bright and clear, and extremely easy to adjust. Started out way down low and right on the target, but after about 15 rounds and appropriate adjustments, I was hitting a 1-inch group @50 yards (just resting the rifle on my shooting bag).

3. The rail loosened a tiny bit, but I think it's because I didn't tighten it up quite enough when I installed it last night. Also need to put some Loc-tite on the left (non-receiver) side screws.

4. So far I'm very happy with my purchase! I feel like I got a lot of scope for a very reasonable price and am very happy with the rail. Everything works great and looks awesome on the Mini! I'll post a few pics as soon as I can.

Thanks for reading!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Just got back from the range.

1. The height is perfect - very comfortable, normal position to see through the scope. The Weigand rail sits very low and the UTG rings are medium height.

2. The scope (UTG 3-9x40 CQB) is very bright and clear, and extremely easy to adjust. Started out way down low and right on the target, but after about 15 rounds and appropriate adjustments, I was hitting a 1-inch group @50 yards (just resting the rifle on my shooting bag).

3. The rail loosened a tiny bit, but I think it's because I didn't tighten it up quite enough when I installed it last night. Also need to put some Loc-tite on the left (non-receiver) side screws.

4. So far I'm very happy with my purchase! I feel like I got a lot of scope for a very reasonable price and am very happy with the rail. Everything works great and looks awesome on the Mini! I'll post a few pics as soon as I can.

Thanks for reading!
Thank you for the feedback! I'm headed to a big gun show here in town on Saturday and may be in the market for an optic. It's good to know that you weren't having any trouble with the height of the optic. I'll probably mount whatever I buy using QR rings so it will be even lower than with the Weigand rail, which is good...

Looking forward to the images of your setup.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Here are a couple photos of my Mini with the Weigand rail and the UTG 3-9x32 Compact CQB Bug Buster scope:

What do you think?
Looks like a really great setup! I've got the exact same rifle except I put the Hogue overmolded stock on mine. I've been looking at those Specter slings as well. Look like a good product.

I'm going to take a peek at the gun show this weekend and see if I can find a decent optic for a couple bucks. I'm still not sure if I want to run an optic on the Mini so I want to get something inexpensive to play with at first.

Thanks for sharing. It's a great-looking rig!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
What sling are running?

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's the one (Specter 3-point sling) and I got it from Amazon for $30.

I decided it was okay to "trick-out" this rifle because I have a 185-xxxx Mini with a wood stock that I'm keeping more traditional. Hope to get a Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer to put on that one.

Mini-14s (and 30s) rock!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have a mini 14. I went with the tapco fusion stock it has 2 butt stock arms one for open sights and one for optics. I use the optic one cause it is straight and stock rings with a Leopold rifleman scope cheek wield is perfect and the length of pull is adjustable. It also come with a rail handguard cover very solid for optics. And it has a channel down it for the open sights. Maybe with the right red dot u could look under it...maybe. anyways juat my 2cents. I also tried a rail in the stock scope ring mounts but it would not stay tight. Had to remove handguard rail and use the stock one for scope to clear. Just a little more input if it helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts