Ruger Forum banner

Mini-14 after-market magazines

9K views 94 replies 30 participants last post by  TENNGRIZZ 
I have a 182-series Mini-14. that I bought used in the late 80's. I have 6 magazines

1x5rnd Ruger - bought at a gunshow because being in Texas,
I didn't know they made one that small. :ROFLMAO:
2x30rnd Tapco Gen II
2x30rnd unmarked/unknown steel
1x40rnd unmarked/unknown steel

They all work fine.

I understand being a purist has its rewards, but for those of us that already have these after-market mags, I hate seeing them go to waste.
I feel the same way, but it you can't cheaply modify them to make them work reliably,
at some point, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Yep, what he ^^^ said. Most Brand-X magazines may work here and there, but not all Brand-Xers work all the time. If you want Mini mags that work first time, every time, stick with Ruger factory mags. The only, and I mean only, Brand-X magazines that work consistently at all times are PMIs. The stainless PMIs are marked on the bottom plates. But blued ones are not marked. For future reference, here are some pictures of both PMI blue and stainless magazines. Notice the pressed and spot-welded rectangular steel lugs on the upper rear edge of both blue and stainless PMI magazines.

Thanks for this information and the photos.
My unmarked blued 20 & 40rnd magazines appear to be PMI (they work).

They either came with my 182-series when I bought it used, or I got lucky at gunshows buying used magazines.

Reactions: mrmike7189
It still feels like theft that I can get a good AR mag for $10 but my Mini mags are near $40. Come on Magpul! D&H?
I understand.

At the risk of upsetting people,
my 182 series Mini-14 is at best a 2-3MOA rifle, $40-50 for a magazine seems quite the waste to me. :unsure:
Sorry, but there it is..... :)

But seriously, I thought the OP asked a pretty harmless question,
if there a way to make aftermarket magazines he already owns more reliable.

He didn't really ask if he should buy aftermarket magazines or not.

No problem. I'm lucky I guess. My 581 is an moa gun. I have couple Promag that after some dremel work are reliable and have been for years. I have some Tapco Gen 2 that work fine as well. Hopefully Sportsmans will get them back in production.
Luck has very little to do with it. My 182-series rifle was made in 1981.
Pencil barrel, 1/10 twist rate.

Ruger made several improvements over the years to address the accuracy issues.

I imagine you paid more for your rifle than I did. (~$250.00) I bought mine used in the early 90's because I could not afford an AR in those days.

New Mini-14's basically cost as much as an AR now, but they are a lot more accurate.

I don't think Ruger has cornered the market on over-priced factory magazines.

I think inexpensive, but 100% functional magazines for AR's and Glocks have spoiled some of us. :D

But saying "If you can't afford the magazines, you can't afford the gun" is a little silly,
because bitching about prices is a very American thing to do.

Build quality on the Ruger mags is much higher than they are for AR15/M16, which are basically battlefield throwaways.
and apparently the design is easier to duplicate.

<snip>
I always buy Ruger Mini mags but I can’t help bitching about it. Glad I found them on sale.
I bitch about the price of gas just like everyone else,
doesn't mean I can't afford to drive the car and truck I have.

Bitching about prices is very American.
I seem to recall a bunch of guys mad about the price of tea, so they dumped it a harbor someplace....... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

J/S

Didn't know that Too bad. What happened COVID?
They were owned by Remington and went under with them. I read that sportsman’s warehouse bought the tapco brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.