Ruger Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes. Any mag other than factory mags are problematic. The USA mags were among the worst. The wound up in the trash and a lesson learned. I have both a Mini 14 and a Mini 30 and it is the same story for both. As they say, buy once, cry once.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
In many states including mine, there is 5 or 10 round Ruger mags only.
If you want hi-cap...then it's Pre 1994
I have federal ordnance and PMI mags. They are proabably the best aftermarket Mini- 14 mags

Reactions: crankymotorsports

·
Exalted One
1,881 Posts
I mostly stick with Ruger 20-rounders, as they were what came with my 181GB when I got it in 1980. Those were quality mags!

A few years ago, I bought some more Ruger 20-rounders and - while they mostly functioned okay, the quality of workmanship sucked extraordinarily - particularly with the spot welds. Took some "malletizing" to get things well enough to not hang my head in shame with them in public, and to properly insert/remove. Yes, they were genuine Ruger 20s. The Ruger 30s and tens were of good quality, but whoever Ruger contracted with to make their 20s did a crappy job. Can't speak to the more recent batches.

For a while, but only occasionally, CDNN Sports would have 20-round straight mags for the Mini-14, advertised by a company as "OE", or sometimes "OEM" as the name. They would get a shipment in and once word got out, they would be sold out and not replenished for another several months. They haven't carried them for over a year now, which is sad. Those mags were far superior in workmanship to the Ruger 20-round mags in every way except for the follower. A Ruger mag follower as a replacement made them sweet and 100%. They were about 1/2 the price of a factory mag - even with the cost of a Ruger follower. If one wanted to spend a lot of time fiddling with the OE follower (green), one can get them to work mostly, but for me, at about $2.95 each for the factory followers, it was well worth it. Those mags were straight, not slightly curved, and if one were really looking for the M-14 look, those were the "bee's knees".

I've bugged CDNN a few times about the paucity of the OE mags' availability. They say they've contacted the manufacturer, but don't get any in. OE is still in business as they make several different after-market mags for other weapons.

Maybe it is time for torches and pitchforks outside of the OE HQs (wherever they are...);)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most of the mags I have for my mini14 are factory 20 round mags and they work great. I have 3 or 4 preban 25 and 30 round mags that are like US Mag or some brand like that. When I use the aftermarket ones, a lot of times (and mostly when the mag is full) the bolt seems to hang up in the top of the magazine, and won’t fully go into battery.
I lock the bolt open, insert the mag, and first thing I noticed a couple of the aftermarket mags once locked in they were a little wobbly in the mag well. They locked into the pin fine, but there was a little play on the rear where they catch on the mag release. That was problem one- I tried holding the mag forward and rearward when dropping the bolt and it didn’t seem to matter. When I drop the bolt, it goes about 3/4 of the way forward, almost completely chambering the round, and when I pulled the trigger, the hammer drops on the bolt, and closes the bolt the rest of the way, but not setting off the round- so now there is a live round in the closed chamber, and the hammer is not cocked. So if I dropped the mag, slowly pulled the bolt back till the hammer reset, and let it go forward, it always would fire the live round that was stripped off the mag.
So I think either the loose mag or the top lips in the mag dragging on the bolt are causing the issues with these mags. If I switch to a Ruger mag, or take about 10 rounds out of the aftermarket mags, they run better, but not 100% of the time…

so I guess I’m asking has anyone had similar issues with aftermarket mags, and did you fix them? Or should I just give up on the aftermarket mags, sell them, and stick to the factory 20 rounders?

I think I need to compare the top feed lips on them, and the distance to the bump that catches the mag release and see how far off they are.

anyone have any insight?
The only aftermarket mags I've ever used in my Mini14 were Triple K's. 40, 20 & 10 rounders. I've never had a problem with any of them, so that's what I stick with. I do have one 30rnd Tapco Gen2, just to test the current polymer mag technology at the time. I like it a lot, but I need to download it by one round to keep from denting that top round.
Gas Gun accessory Electronic device Personal protective equipment Auto part

All of these a steel Triple K's.
FWIW, I've found that ProMags often have incorrectly sized followers, which tend to dip at the front when put under pressure. This often allows the bolt to ride right over the top of the round, instead of stripping it off into the chamber.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As previously mentioned, in Nam we loaded 18 rounds per mag. I still do that with my Mini Ranch, especially if the mag is going to be in the weapon for a while. Another habit I learned when using an M-14: after you release the bolt to load it, hit the back of the operating rod handle with the heel of your hand to insure the bolt is in battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most of the mags I have for my mini14 are factory 20 round mags and they work great. I have 3 or 4 preban 25 and 30 round mags that are like US Mag or some brand like that. When I use the aftermarket ones, a lot of times (and mostly when the mag is full) the bolt seems to hang up in the top of the magazine, and won’t fully go into battery.
I lock the bolt open, insert the mag, and first thing I noticed a couple of the aftermarket mags once locked in they were a little wobbly in the mag well. They locked into the pin fine, but there was a little play on the rear where they catch on the mag release. That was problem one- I tried holding the mag forward and rearward when dropping the bolt and it didn’t seem to matter. When I drop the bolt, it goes about 3/4 of the way forward, almost completely chambering the round, and when I pulled the trigger, the hammer drops on the bolt, and closes the bolt the rest of the way, but not setting off the round- so now there is a live round in the closed chamber, and the hammer is not cocked. So if I dropped the mag, slowly pulled the bolt back till the hammer reset, and let it go forward, it always would fire the live round that was stripped off the mag.
So I think either the loose mag or the top lips in the mag dragging on the bolt are causing the issues with these mags. If I switch to a Ruger mag, or take about 10 rounds out of the aftermarket mags, they run better, but not 100% of the time…

so I guess I’m asking has anyone had similar issues with aftermarket mags, and did you fix them? Or should I just give up on the aftermarket mags, sell them, and stick to the factory 20 rounders?

I think I need to compare the top feed lips on them, and the distance to the bump that catches the mag release and see how far off they are.

anyone have any insight?
I have one 20 rd Ruger magazine and 6 various aftermarket 30 round mags. They were not perfect but all problems I had were resolved by replacing the follower with a Ruger follower.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the early days, OEM high capacity mags were hard to find and there were alot of "Ruger" marked counterfeit mags that were junk.
Compared, side by side, counterfeits were easy to spot as the Ruger marking was poorly stamped.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Bought Mini in 1986 along with two extra 20 rders and two 30's. Several years later at a gun show bought two unknown brand of 20 rd mags. Bought them on a Saturday, took em back the next day (Sunday), neither worked as they should. It's been all Ruger factory mags since. Did some years ago buy more before all the price increase's and sometimes hard to find. Glad I did.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts