Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new-to-me Mini-14, '84-85 version but in great shape. Love the rifle but had an unexplained issue. I was cycling the action prior to heading to the range and the action stopped forward movement about 1/2-way closed. Felt like it was hitting something solid. This was with the magazine removed, so no bolt hold-open engaged. I don't know if it was the slide operating handle, or the bolt not cycling freely.

But in due course, it "got fixed" somehow and the rifle worked fine for a whole box of ammo during a function test at the range.

Any ideas on what that cause was, and how to fix it from occurring again?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Hard telling. I would first and foremost take the rifle down, clean and lube everything and ensure that all the parts are assembled properly.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Nope, no idea. My Mini never jammed, but and however, my M-16's sure had a habit of it. Back in the Army, I would use a cleaning rod, to run up the barrel and knock a jam loose.

That worked on some of them anyways.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's likely op rod may had dropped down before the bolt closed especially if you were letting it down slowly. A good cleaning and using a good grease should work fine.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The bolt being sluggish is often caused by improper reassembly.
When reassembling, make sure the buffer guide rod, that goes inside the recoil spring, has the little tip facing UP. if it is installed down the bolt won't go back all the way, and doesn't go forward freely either.
The tip of the guide rod needs to go against the buffer cross pin like this, if it is the other way you'll have cycling problems.

And like Phish said, use a dab of grease in the channels that the bolt travels in, and let the bolt slam forward without riding it with your hand.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bolt being sluggish is often caused by improper reassembly.
There was no sluggishness in the bolt movement. I had removed the magazine, retracted the bolt and held down the bolt stop/release and let it slam forward but it stopped half way. Spent half a day like that despite repeated attempts to unjam it. Finally I had pulled the bolt back, engaged the bolt stop and was shaking the rifle and the next time I let the bolt go it went home and has been fine ever since.

Of course I'm concerned about repeats, and would like to know what piece/part got out of jabberwocky alignment to make this happen.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There was no sluggishness in the bolt movement. I had removed the magazine, retracted the bolt and held down the bolt stop/release and let it slam forward but it stopped half way. Spent half a day like that despite repeated attempts to unjam it. Finally I had pulled the bolt back, engaged the bolt stop and was shaking the rifle and the next time I let the bolt go it went home and has been fine ever since.

Of course I'm concerned about repeats, and would like to know what piece/part got out of jabberwocky alignment to make this happen.
Make sure the gun is lubed well. Everywhere the bolt touches and where the op-rod touches. Pay special attention to the Op-rod spring. This spring rests inside of the Op-rod and is somewhat invisible. I use 90wt gear oil. I cut it in half with RemOil for the winter and run full strength in the summer. Since you are in Alaska you might want a lighter oil.

It sounds like you just bought this gun and it has been in a closet for years. (decades) I have to wonder if yours was ever broke in well from the factory.

kwg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Scorpion8,
I had a similar occurrence with a 583 Mini 300 Blk. I gave it a shake as I pulled the bolt back and a primer fell out. I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the rifle and have had no further hiccups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure the gun is lubed well.….

It sounds like you just bought this gun and it has been in a closet for years. (decades) I have to wonder if yours was ever broke in well from the factory.
It appears not well worn, but has seen some use. Its getting refreshed with a new Ruger plastic stock, some parts it was missing, and (most importantly) some TLC. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts