Ruger Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
@oldag

I would shoot less often, because I would take only 1 gun each time. That way I wouldn’t have 3-5 to clean the next day.

You are comparing guns that sit for years dirty and get some corrosion to me detail stripping my guns annually. Trust me, I am as OCD as they come. I have spread sheets in my laptop that keep round counts and my mechanical equipment servicing history.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My first post here. I’ve had a Mini 14 Tactical model for more than a year now.

Haven’t really shot it much because cleaning it is kind of a pain compared to other rifles like an AR-15. Took it down yesterday and cleaned/lubed and want to shoot it more, but not looking forward to cleaning afterwards.

Curious if you folks clean your Mini 14 after every time you fire it. Or if not, how often.
You're kidding I hope. This has to be the easiest semi-auto rifle to clean on the planet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You're kidding I hope. This has to be the easiest semi-auto rifle to clean on the planet.
Nope not kidding. It’s nowhere near as easy as cleaning an AR-15. I’m sure some of that is familiarity and experience and things may even out as my experience with the Mini 14 grows.

But cleaning/lubing an AR is drunk monkey simple. The Mini not so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And how much do I need to be concerned about taking the stock off every time I clean, if I clean every time I shoot?

It’s the black synthetic stock, so no worries about wood. But don’t want things to get loose if taking the receiver in and out will loosen things.

·
Registered
197 Posts
And how much do I need to be concerned about taking the stock off every time I clean, if I clean every time I shoot?

It’s the black synthetic stock, so no worries about wood. But don’t want things to get loose if taking the receiver in and out will loosen things.
I can't imagine where/how things would get loosened. I bought mine new in 1980 and it's shot every single week and cleaned about once a month. It could probably go longer than that but it does get used and is still as accurate as when new. People that say a mini-14 isn't accurate don't shoot them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can't imagine where/how things would get loosened. I bought mine new in 1980 and it's shot every single week and cleaned about once a month. It could probably go longer than that but it does get used and is still as accurate as when new. People that say a mini-14 isn't accurate don't shoot them.
Good to know. I’ve read people (including in this thread) say they only take down once or a couple of times per year.

I just shot my Mini 14 today and ran 100 rounds through it at the range. Not a ton, but with my ARs I clean them even for just 100 rounds. Maybe it’s not necessary but just what I’ve usually done.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good to know. I’ve read people (including in this thread) say they only take down once or a couple of times per year.

I just shot my Mini 14 today and ran 100 rounds through it at the range. Not a ton, but with my ARs I clean them even for just 100 rounds. Maybe it’s not necessary but just what I’ve usually done.
My AR, made like every other one out there, is MUCH dirtier than my Mini-14. That's but one reason I don't shoot it much. It's a PIA to clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about cleaning a brand new Mini? Have read where some users recommend a complete cleaning, some so far as using brake solvent, before first use. Thoughts.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What about cleaning a brand new Mini? Have read where some users recommend a complete cleaning, some so far as using brake solvent, before first use. Thoughts.
Every new gun should be cleaned before first use. Brake cleaner? Heck no on a new gun. I only use it now and then on my AR. That's the only gun I have a need for it and that's because they run dirty.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts