Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this rifle and this forum so here goes my first post.

I have a series 185 mini 14 and have been reading the manual over and over because this rifle is far different than any others that I own.I read a warning that reads "sustained firing can cause excessive heat in the barrel and can cause "cook-off of a cartridge in the chamber."

How big of a concern should this be for me as a casual shooter? I shoot for enjoyment and not to see how fast I can go through ammo.

Does Ruger post this warning on all of their long guns?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It is a very slim possibility and not likely with a semi auto rate of fire.

I had mine hot enough to evaporate all lubricant and mildly burn my trigger finger. No worries.

If you have an AC556 and abuse it with a few drums you may get there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've put alot of rnds thru the Mini14 platform, I have never had a rnd cook off. That being said, Ruger is a very large fire arms manufacture, there are alot of stupid people out there " just watch You Tube " that could be some kind of Ruger lawyer speek to just CYA. In case some dummy did that and got hurt. I mean look at the handguard on the mini, Thats a lawyer designed dont get your fingers caught in the op rod and try to sue us if ever was. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Only in a bad spot during war time should you have to think about a cook-off.

I put 3 30 round mags through in about 3 or 4 minutes one day 'just because I could'.

Barrel was hot as hell but that was about it.

Oh, by the way, that was back when we were paying $3.95 for a box of 20 rounds of .556! Those days are in the rear view mirror now.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
My Mini is a 188 series with a pencil thin barrel. Yes the barrel can get hot but never heard of a cook off?? One solution to the barrel heat is to add a barrel stabilizer to your Mini 14. I just ordered mine 2 days ago for my Mini 14 the stabilizer is suppose to aid in accuracy. A very simple installation is required .

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
When I had the US government buying my ammunition, I managed to get an M-16A2 to cook off a couple times, but it took some work. I suppose you could get a Mini 14 that hot, but I bet you would have to run a half-dozen magazines or more through it in a short time to do that.

Jim

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The last cook off I had was during the 1968 Tet Offensive. Got that 50 barrel red hot. Ahhhhhhh the good old day's.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Haven't shot it yet to test for accuracy.Thought about getting the Accu-Strut Socom but might not need it (??) because of barrel length.You tell me. :confused:
That looks like a standard barrel length for the 185 series. Just put some rounds on paper. You will know after 4 or 5 rounds if it is stringing the shots or not. I put an Accustrut on mine and it does help with the stringing a lot.

I can almost guarantee you that yours will benefit from an Accustrut. But, I recommend the full size one, not the shorter SOCOM model.

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
To the OP yes a Accu-Strut will help your Mini 14 out you also have the Pencil thin barrel just like my 188 series Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. There are 3 companies that offer the Barrel Stabilizers Accu-Strut , Mo-Rod and Trueshot Technologies. They can run from $59.00 up to about $109.00 depending on what brand and type you go with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
When you get finished with sustained fire leave the chamber empty.
It's the time and temperature that does the cook of.
Time = time round is in the chamber temp is the temp of the chamber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you get finished with sustained fire leave the chamber empty.
It's the time and temperature that does the cook of.
Time = time round is in the chamber temp is the temp of the chamber.
That's what I gathered from reading the manual.Like I said in my post this rifle is totally new to me.I only shoot outdoors and in warm weather so I have lots of time to learn as much as possible about it before ever firing a shot.I'll probably also watch some videos on YouTube regarding field stripping and cleaning.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
From what I've witnessed in videos, you have to have an auto and you have to run it real hard. I've seen AKs cool off. It's abusive to be near cook off levels.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
A us government study in the early 1950s found that to get cook off in an m1 rifle you had to fire 25 plus 8 round clips as rapidly as possible and even then only spotty.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I don't plan on doing any rapid fire with it.Not allowed anything over 15rds in Colorado.I would think the handguard I already have installed would work for now.
Sure, the factory hand guard will work, but the one StevenJ61 suggested ( the Choate) is lighter, has more cooling slots, and is much better looking than the factory guard with the "lawyer" cover over the op-rod. At $15, it is one of the cheapest good upgrades you can do to your Mini. Maybe someone that has one on their Mini can post a pic of it. ( I have Ultimaks on two of my Mini's, and a wood handguard on the other, or mine would all have the Choate).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts