Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a new mini 14 ranch rifle, 582 series, and have been having a fairly consistent failure to feed issue.

At this point i have put about 200 rounds thru the rifle and it will jam approximately every 5 is rounds (sometimes 10-15 good, sometimes every 2-3).

The lead of each next round will catch on the beveled opening to the chamber. this will put a little dent into the bullet itself and arrest the forward motion of the op rod.

I also experienced two stovepipe jams yesterday while shooting for the first time.

I attached some photos to hopefully illustrate the issues. I find this situation fairly frustrating. I have done a thorough cleaning of the rifle before use and also after shooting each time. I put a modest amount of gun oil on the moving parts of the op rod and bolt and i clean out the nipple that forces gas onto the op rod.

I hope I've done a decent job describing my issues. I wanted this rifle for reliability and thus far...
Am willing to send to Ruger but am wondering if this vast knowledge base can help.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just want to make sure is it short stroking and stove piping or failing to feed? I'm a little confused by with what you wrote. I reread your post are you using factory mags? Aftermarket mags can be finicky. If it's new send it back, if it's not your want to fix it yourself you can try a few things.

1. Polish the feed ramp into the chamber,
2. Check the mags you are using and make sure you can push the rounds out manually and that they clear the front lip of the magazine.
3. Possibly replace the recoil spring if it is stove piping.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If its a 582 series you need to send it back to Ruger . My 582 Tactical did the same thing and the 2nd time I sent it back for the same problem they just sent me a new 583. This is a pretty typical problem with certain 582s and Ruger knows it. Hers a pic of mine, make sure you send pics with the gun . After Sandy Hook, Ruger was crankin out guns like crazy and thats the time frame of the 582. Theres the same posts on The Perfect Union Forum with loads of pics of the very same thing. Its a QC problem and I think they were outa spec bolts . I dont have anything to prove it but it makes since. EDIT .. Rugers customer service is awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just want to make sure is it short stroking and stove piping or failing to feed? I'm a little confused by with what you wrote. I reread your post are you using factory mags? Aftermarket mags can be finicky. If it's new send it back, if it's not your want to fix it yourself you can try a few things.

1. Polish the feed ramp into the chamber,
2. Check the mags you are using and make sure you can push the rounds out manually and that they clear the front lip of the magazine.
3. Possibly replace the recoil spring if it is stove piping.
Thank you, StevenJ61,

Sorry for the confusion.

The primary issue is that the op rod doesn't push the next round into the chamber, it gets hung up on the lip of the feed ramp.

It has also now started to stove pipe.

I really don't think that it is short stroking because the bolt seems to always pick up the next round by the bottom of the brass (don't know the right name).

I am using factory 20 round magazines and i have two and the problem happens with both mags.

I just finger pushed the rounds from the magazine and did not have any problems on that front.

Will try polishing the feed ramp.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If its a 582 series you need to send it back to Ruger . My 582 Tactical did the same thing and the 2nd time I sent it back for the same problem they just sent me a new 583. This is a pretty typical problem with certain 582s and Ruger knows it. Hers a pic of mine, make sure you send pics with the gun . After Sandy Hook, Ruger was crankin out guns like crazy and thats the time frame of the 582. Theres the same posts on The Perfect Union Forum with loads of pics of the very same thing. Its a QC problem and I think they were outa spec bolts . I dont have anything to prove it but it makes since. EDIT .. Rugers customer service is awesome.
Thanks Misfire51,

I will probably be making that call tomorrow. I have taken the gas block down and am doing an even more thorough cleaning. Seems like a fair amount of gas is pumping out around the nipple and into the stock and heat shield. Are the nibbles generally fairly secure in the gas block of do they have a little wiggle?

thanks alot

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had about 3 factory mags that would occasionally fail to feed the next round. What I found was the cartridges were not being held high enough in the mag for the bolt to kick them forward to feed into the chamber. I very carefully tweaked the feed lip on the left side of the mag to make the cartridge ride higher. I went through all my mags, put a round or two in them to find the "low riders". Also some mags rode lower in the mag well. All of them had the same curve to the mag lips but the 3 needed a little bending out to make them work. You might want to check you mags before shipping off the gun. It may not be the rifle's fault.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If you think the op-rod is not chambering a round, check that the op-rod is not getting hung up by the heat shield inside the fore-arm. There could be some friction there if the heat shield is bent inward.
The gas pipe has to have some play in it (wiggle) so as to self align when the op-rod slams forward and goes around the gas pipe.
There will be fouling in that area, it's normal as that's where the energy comes from to work the action.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts