Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv'e got a question regarding my mini 14 , at a recent trip to the range i had shot about 200 rounds consisting of a mix of 223 556 different brands and such, the magazines were as follows, a factory 30 round, two factory 10 round and a tapco 30 round, so here it is, both 30 round mags fed perfectly the rifle never failed to fire once in battery, however several times, maybe 5 times, only with the factory 10 round magazines, the round failed to feed in to battery, the bolt would cycle back from the previous round normally but upon picking up the next round the nose of the bullet would get jammed and end up bieng pushed deeper in to the casing, once the round was cleared and the magazine put back in place the rifle would run normally, i have to stress that there was only issues with the factory 10's regardless of ammo type,
any ideas

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Defective 10 round magazines. Could be the follower or bent lips on the mag. If you want the gun to be reliable, you will replace those 10 round mags. Before replacing, take them apart and clean the inside just in case a dirty mag is causing the problem.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sounds like the mag. I would try it a few more times on its own, if does it again try cleaning it out .like the previous poster suggested if that dont work ditch it!

·
Banned
513 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought some new mags. I feel like they just need to be broke in. I had to shoot and clean them a couple of times before they started acting right.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
As said, clean the mags. Break them down and clean the insides out, then try them again. Also make sure your seating them into place, they do not go straight in like AR mags but at an angle like AK 47 mags. Insert the front and then the rear and give it a little bump up to seat it.

If it keeps miss feeding replace it. If they are Ruger mags and you just got them. call Ruger, they might just replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you everyone, im going to start going down the list and see what happens, in all honesty this is what i love the most about firearms, taking things apart figuring things out and fixing them,

·
Registered
613 Posts
Before you ditch it, go to the very front of the mag lips and bend them slightly upward to make sure the angle of the bullet is pointing slightly upward at the tip of the bullet. You can't change it much or it will rub on the bolt.
kwg

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I had failure to feed problems I slowly fed a round from suspect mags and found that some of them did not present the next round high enough for the bolt to push it forward into the chamber. A bit of judicious upward bending of the feed lip of the mag (typically the left lip) allowed the bolt to grab the rim of the next round and feed it into the chamber.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lots of great advice here but 2 other areas I've seen that are potential problems, least likely are the springs themselves. You don't want a wet lubricant on them but they need to slide easily to be effective. I've cleaned mine with simple green and just a wipe with clp with teflon. These mags also have a divot or groove in the front wall and I've seen hang ups if it wasn't baby smooth, comparing to your 30s should give you a sense of what works. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I don't think the 10 round Ruger mags have ever been as good as the 5 and 20 rounders. There have been some Q.C. issues with them. I'm sure Ruger will replace them if you can't get it sorted out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey,aztec.

Please check back in with us and let us know what you found the problem to be and how you solved it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts