Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photos below in replies due to issues uploading within initial post

Finally made it to the range and had just enough time to chat and put 115 rounds down range. Pictures are included!

The Good:

The feel and appearance of this gun is superb. Although the irons are difficult at a distance, the simplicity is intuitive and reliable; aiding quick target acquisition. I was able to hit within less than an inch of center at 25 standing and 100 sitting. The six-target picture/spread is at 25, the single at 100.

All shots were supported by a bag at 100 - some standing and some unsupported at 25. I feel pretty confident that with more practice I could hit close, if not below, 1 MOA. The irons are definitely a stretch, but out of the box I feel that I did well without adjustment of the rear sight. I was greatful for the out-of-the box sighting accuracy.

The Bad:

The gun bolt jammed in the open position as I removed my last magazine. If you saw my bolt jam post earlier last week, that was a different situation where the bolt would not slide fully backwards while dry-firing before I cleaned it.

Upon returning home I was able to disassemble the firearm. The bolt-stop appeared jammed and with some force I was able to remove the cover plate and release the bolt. The slide bar did not fully move forward, I'm assuming due to alignment without the stock, and proceeded to pinch me :)

I then dug deeper to see if there was anything else going on. Beyond the rough casting I mentioned in another post, there appeared to be some notable wear on the lower rear of the bolt. My stock also appeared to have some "slop" to it.

When I say stock slop, you probably need to look at the provided photos. The metal frame for the receiver has some flex on one end. There is also some spacing near the magazine area. I noticed one of the flathead bolts on the exterior was loose, but it did not eliminate the problem once tightened with a nail. Upon fully assembling the gun again, I noticed the gas block seemed slightly uneven with the stock as well.

Conclusion:

I will be calling Ruger this week to see if I need to be concerned about the bolt wear, slide jam, or "slop" in the stock. It however, seems like a sweet shooter and I'll let them know that!

Please let me know your thoughts, I'd like to hear from other Mini owners!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, that bolt doesn’t look right. Call Ruger and send it in.
Just the bolt in general or the wear on the lower rear? Please keep in mind that it is a dirty bolt, I believe the coloring you are seeing is just brass.

Ruger said to send it in without looking at any of the photos. Really bummed out since my last RMA with them took over a month :(

I don't want to make a big deal out of this if it's a non-issue and just "marrying" of the parts. For what I paid I feel some of the internals do leave me wanting, but so long as what I'm seeing is in line with what other buyers are experiencing, I can accept it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have owned several Minis over the years. They are not known for gilt edged accuracy, the rear sights can be a bit finicky, and there are all manners of gas block adjustments and stabilizers to be had, BUT they are famous for going bang and running reliably. Your bolt looks pretty beat up for 115 rounds. The stock slop is just how they are. You don’t want the stock making contact with the gas block. They put little metal shims in the synthetics to prevent contact.

More important than the bolt, is the receiver getting beat up looking?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have owned several Minis over the years. They are not known for gilt edged accuracy, the rear sights can be a bit finicky, and there are all manners of gas block adjustments and stabilizers to be had, BUT they are famous for going bang and running reliably. Your bolt looks pretty beat up for 115 rounds. The stock slop is just how they are. You don’t want the stock making contact with the gas block. They put little metal shims in the synthetics to prevent contact.

More important than the bolt, is the receiver getting beat up looking?
I'll strip it down again this evening and give it a better look. I probably won't clean it though since Ruger has accepted an RMA. Figure I'm best off shipping it as is, but if they asked me to I'd clean it.

Pretty bummed out about all of this. I really like the products they kick out, but with two RMAs in a row I'm somewhat dumbstruck.

On my last RMA I had an issue with the take-down functionality of a Mark IV, which I'm assuming was resolved after they looked it over and fully disassemble it. Despite the "fix," the last individual I spoke with over the phone; before shipment back, said there was nothing wrong with it and that my $700 Mark IV was not an "A" grade firearm....that doesn't sound like something you want to hear from a firearm manufacturer.

I really want to like Ruger and their products and I'm trying to gauge what should be and shouldn't be acceptable or is normal. Perhaps I'm better off not buying anymore firearms until the market cools down. Demand may be offsetting quality control.

I've seen some users online report getting an entirely new Mini back after the RMA. I was really pleased with my initial shots. I hope Old Murphy doesn't send me back a different firearm that isn't the "sweet shooter."

Thank you for the feedback.

·
Exchequer
4,798 Posts
OP, what should be acceptable on a new gun from Ruger is: a fully operable and fault-free firearm. Problems can slip by QC in any manufacturing facility, but it's what the manufacturer does after the sale that sets one manufacturer above another.

If you have not already done so, you may want to send these photos to Ruger and let their customer service folks make things right (and better) for you. I'm confident Ruger will take care of any issues that may have cropped up on your Mini.

And please keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I went and pulled an 11 year old mini apart and looked at the bolt. It’s not showing any wear like that and probably has 2k rounds through it. Your bolt looks like it is soft metal and notched towards the rear of it. Mine had no marks like that at all and no burrs on any of the metal parts.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I agree with @GSR Fan on the bolt wear.

Mine is a Mini 30 and an older one from when Ruger made guns slower and with more care. The stock fit and finish on mine is much better; however, Ruger just has a different standard now. Sending Ruger pictures is likely a waste of time, since they will just say to send it in.

Repair turn-around is pretty quick at Ruger and your accuracy seams normal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Photos below in replies due to issues uploading within initial post

Finally made it to the range and had just enough time to chat and put 115 rounds down range. Pictures are included!

The Good:

The feel and appearance of this gun is superb. Although the irons are difficult at a distance, the simplicity is intuitive and reliable; aiding quick target acquisition. I was able to hit within less than an inch of center at 25 standing and 100 sitting. The six-target picture/spread is at 25, the single at 100.

All shots were supported by a bag at 100 - some standing and some unsupported at 25. I feel pretty confident that with more practice I could hit close, if not below, 1 MOA. The irons are definitely a stretch, but out of the box I feel that I did well without adjustment of the rear sight. I was greatful for the out-of-the box sighting accuracy.

The Bad:

The gun bolt jammed in the open position as I removed my last magazine. If you saw my bolt jam post earlier last week, that was a different situation where the bolt would not slide fully backwards while dry-firing before I cleaned it.

Upon returning home I was able to disassemble the firearm. The bolt-stop appeared jammed and with some force I was able to remove the cover plate and release the bolt. The slide bar did not fully move forward, I'm assuming due to alignment without the stock, and proceeded to pinch me :)

I then dug deeper to see if there was anything else going on. Beyond the rough casting I mentioned in another post, there appeared to be some notable wear on the lower rear of the bolt. My stock also appeared to have some "slop" to it.

When I say stock slop, you probably need to look at the provided photos. The metal frame for the receiver has some flex on one end. There is also some spacing near the magazine area. I noticed one of the flathead bolts on the exterior was loose, but it did not eliminate the problem once tightened with a nail. Upon fully assembling the gun again, I noticed the gas block seemed slightly uneven with the stock as well.

Conclusion:

I will be calling Ruger this week to see if I need to be concerned about the bolt wear, slide jam, or "slop" in the stock. It however, seems like a sweet shooter and I'll let them know that!

Please let me know your thoughts, I'd like to hear from other Mini owners!
I

I found almost identical wear on my Mini 14 bolt. Just sent in back to Ruger today.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I

I found almost identical wear on my Mini 14 bolt. Just sent in back to Ruger today.
How many rounds have you put through it? Have you ever been unable to pull the bolt all the way back? Has it ever remained locked up? It would be great to hear your experience and if you had any pictures that would be great too!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on with the bolt stop and bolt not coming fully back. Hard to diagnose that without being able to see it in person.
As far as the bolt marks, they look like chatter marks from tooling, not wear.
I can't see it affecting function, just cosmestic sloppiness on Ruger's part.

The gap between wood and the gas block is perfectly normal, I'd be more worried if there was no gap.
All the dozens of Minis I've seen have that much gap or more.

And the gaps around the magwell reinforcement bracket (MRB) are normal as well and have no bearing whatsoever on function or accuracy. All the bracket has to do is be wide enough allow the magazine to be inserted.

If the receiver can be grabbed at the back and moved side to side in the stock, that is a concern and can degrade accuracy. That can be remedied by using a small section cut from credit card material and epoxied in either side of the stock where the recoil lugs will bear. Rough up the back side of the shim and also the part of the stock where the shim will sit for best adhesion.
I also sand the top of the shim to a taper so when you insert the barreled action it doesn't snag the shims.

if the barreled action has back to front play when in the stock that is also not good, and would require glass bedding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I

Was your's a 5802 purchased this year? Perhaps the same batch? Assuming all of the stainless receivers/barrels are produced at the same time regardless of the stock.

I still haven't sent mine back yet. Wanted to strip it down again and take some pictures. Work and housework has also delayed my shipment. Stripping it down and reassembly is a breeze after just a few breakdowns. Becoming attached.

Really dreading the wait after I send it in. My Mark IV took forever and while my issue was resolved for the most part, they acted like nothing was done? I believe it took well over a month.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Receiver & Outer Barrel Photos

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trigger Assembly & Other

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure what's going on with the bolt stop and bolt not coming fully back. Hard to diagnose that without being able to see it in person.
As far as the bolt marks, they look like chatter marks from tooling, not wear.
I can't see it affecting function, just cosmestic sloppiness on Ruger's part.

The gap between wood and the gas block is perfectly normal, I'd be more worried if there was no gap.
All the dozens of Minis I've seen have that much gap or more.

And the gaps around the magwell reinforcement bracket (MRB) are normal as well and have no bearing whatsoever on function or accuracy. All the bracket has to do is be wide enough allow the magazine to be inserted.

If the receiver can be grabbed at the back and moved side to side in the stock, that is a concern and can degrade accuracy. That can be remedied by using a small section cut from credit card material and epoxied in either side of the stock where the recoil lugs will bear. Rough up the back side of the shim and also the part of the stock where the shim will sit for best adhesion.
I also sand the top of the shim to a taper so when you insert the barreled action it doesn't snag the shims.

if the barreled action has back to front play when in the stock that is also not good, and would require glass bedding.
Thanks for the feedback. While I would never wish to receive a firearm with a flaw, if they send this puppy back stating that nothing seems to be of issue; I'm going to cry a bit inside.

I'd stop by a gunsmith, but they are all backed up in my area and I imagine it would cost me :/

I offered to send pictures before I went through the trouble of boxing it up, but they told me to just send it in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts