Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to buy my 1st semi auto rifle lately (other than my 10/22).

I've heard the Mini 14's just don't cut it anymore?

I really want a Mini 14 because the "neuterized" version and price and hassle of a CA legal AR15 just sounds like a headache. Plus I don't know anything about "building" an AR15.

IF I go for the Mini 14, which version is the best made?

I'll use it just for fun and for the fact of having one before they "go away". But I don't want a piece of crap either.

Is it worth it? $$$
They go on sale frequently at Turners in So Cal.

opinions?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It really depends on what you want and expect in a .223 rifle. The Mini 14 is completely dependable, but not the most accurate gun in the world. I have owned 4 over the years, and all of them had the undesirable tendency to drop shots as the barrel heated up. After about 10 rounds the shots will visably drop, and after 20 rounds, they will be off the paper. The last Mini I had was one of the new 580 series that supposed to be more accurate, by the way. Of course there is the new Target Mini that supposed to be a MOA gun. I have heard mixed reports on that. My ARs will run circles around any Mini I ever owned in the accuracy department, and my ARs have been reliable as well. Building an AR is a piece of cake, by the way. Buy an armorers video that shows you step by step how to do it. I put one together in about 30 minutes! You can buy a kit from places like Del-Ton with everything but the lower receiver, and all you got to do is put the lower parts in. Like I said, I did it in 30 minutes. I am not up to date on the People Republics CA legal ARs, so I don't know what is and what is not legal out there. Anyway, the Mini is a good reliable gun, but the accuracy leaves something to be desired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As gunman said, building an AR15 is easy. you won't need a bunch of tools as you pretty much assembleing it from parts. There's even a Calf. legal AR15. If you would still like to put one together contact me and I'll point you in the right direction for parts and info.. A word of caution though, building, owning and/or shooting an AR15 can cause euphoria, raised heart rate and a smile that may be illegal in the state of Calf.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yep, the mini ain't an ar-15 in the accuracy dept.
But the mini is still a lot of fun and a reliable gun.
If you want to shoot golf balls consistantly at 100 yds, get the ar---if you are happy shooting a fair size coffee cup, the mini will work. Of course you can sink a ton of money into the std mini and make it shoot with an ar---but by the time you get thru spending you are at the cost or more of an ar.

Seems to be a lot more accessories for the ar to play with and good ar high cap mags are cheap compared to ruger factory 20 rounders( last time i checked at $44.00/mag)

By the way, are 20/30 rd mags allowed in california? If stuck with 10 rd mags then the ar advantage fades a tiny bit.

just don't know about california---if you are worried of a future ban and they may not grandfather ar-15's and go after them---the mini might look better. The pc police have gone after the evil black rifles before, along with the "commie evil" ak's. The mini has a look of its own and does not seem to excite the pc crowd or draw much attention.

I still like the mini. won't win any contests with it but it is reliable and accurate enough for coyotes and two legged vermin out there. Of course the money you save over the ar you can sink into the mini or buy a bunch of ammo.

perhaps its more sentimental, i know the ar is a superior weapon in about every way, but i still like the mini.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts