Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but I've researched every page of google to the very end and I still have some questions up in the air.

I recently bought a Mini-14 with a 183 prefix with a factory flash hider and bayonet lug. Wood handgaurd that some one drilled holes in at one point, and did a pretty good job.

I was told it was probably police security use, but being manufactured in 1982 (preban) it doesn't have LE markings.

I received my letter of authenticity from ruger but I believe they made at least one mistake. It says it was shipped to Harry T. King Wholesale, inc in Oswego, Texas.

Well Oswego, Texas does not exist. But searching the company name I found one link and its from Oswego, New York. But they shut down years ago.

The letter also says its was manufactured as a Mini-14/5. Which from what I've gathered is a Standard model shipped with a five round magazine. Which i thought was odd having the flash hider and bayonet lug.

So basically I started my research hoping to get an idea on where it was originally used. But now im starting to doubt its anything special.

Would this be considerd a GB even though its preban with no LE markings?

Could a civilian buy a flash hider and bayonet lug equipped model?

If not, would they ship it to a wholesale company?

I was told the flash hider is factory but different than some of the other factory flash hiders. The barrel appears to be original to the rifle, the bayonet lug/sight is welded and not pinned.

So any little info anyone has will help my research but I feel as though I'm at a dead end. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
whatever the history, that is one badass Mini 14! Hope you figure out the history, but I am betting the bayonet lug and flash hider were able to be purchased from the factory for civilians. I know many states you still can get those. Only the real commie states like mine you cannot get a bayonet lug and flash hider. most likely the holes in the handguard were drille for heat dissipation by someone with a drill press and a little patience. That what it looks like to me

·
Exalted One
1,671 Posts
Barn, first of all: Welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

Your 183 Mini is not a GB model.
1) the front sight/bayo lug is too close to the Gas Block. My (certified) 181-GB I bought in 1980 (built in 1977) has the rear band of the front sight/bayo lug 2 1/8" from the front of the gas block. Also, the band for the front sight/bayo lug doesn't look original.
2) The flash hider is not a standard GB A2 flash hider, but looks more like a Choate one. Distance between the front of the front sight/bayo lug and the rear of the flash hider should be 4".
3) Can tell without measuring, but it also appears the barrel length is 16.5"; GBs came with 18.1" barrels.

Mine is below (along with my Beretta CX4 - group pic). Note the distance between the Gas Block and the front sight/bayo lug; the band for the front sight/bayo lug; the style of the flash hider; and the relative distance between the front sight/bayo lug and the flash hider. It is as it left the factory in 1977, except for the stock.

So historically, it isn't a GB model. If the barrel is indeed chopped to 16.5", that is generally a good thing to improve accuracy and reduce barrel whip. You have a fine shooter, so don't be disappointed it is not an original GB - unless you paid big bucks for it being a GB.

Barrel twist is 1:10, so the sweet spot for bullets is 55-62gr.

Hope this helps. Nice looking smoke-pole!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barn, first of all: Welcome to the forum from Central Virginia!

Your 183 Mini is not a GB model.
1) the front sight/bayo lug is too close to the Gas Block. My (certified) 181-GB I bought in 1980 (built in 1977) has the rear band of the front sight/bayo lug 2 1/8" from the front of the gas block. Also, the band for the front sight/bayo lug doesn't look original.
2) The flash hider is not a standard GB A2 flash hider, but looks more like a Choate one. Distance between the front of the front sight/bayo lug and the rear of the flash hider should be 4".
3) Can tell without measuring, but it also appears the barrel length is 16.5"; GBs came with 18.1" barrels.

Mine is below (along with my Beretta CX4 - group pic). Note the distance between the Gas Block and the front sight/bayo lug; the band for the front sight/bayo lug; the style of the flash hider; and the relative distance between the front sight/bayo lug and the flash hider. It is as it left the factory in 1977, except for the stock.

So historically, it isn't a GB model. If the barrel is indeed chopped to 16.5", that is generally a good thing to improve accuracy and reduce barrel whip. You have a fine shooter, so don't be disappointed it is not an original GB - unless you paid big bucks for it being a GB.

Barrel twist is 1:10, so the sweet spot for bullets is 55-62gr.

Hope this helps. Nice looking smoke-pole!
Thanks to borh of you for the info, I'm not disappointed as I went into it skeptical and paid a fair price. Still my favorite rifle at the moment. Would still love to here more information others may have. Going down this worm hole has gained me so much knowledge.

I'm probably wrong, but I swear I read there were a couple style factory flash hiders.

Now that I'm curious I'll compare the measurements you mentioned later.

I know the front sight has a "CT" marking on the left side.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I believe Minis were not marked LE until after the clinton ban was put in effect. Also, your rifle would have come with the fiberglass handguard and not the wooden one (although the one on your rifle looks real good!).

Side note: The GB model was designed to take the M16 bayonet (M7) and when attached the guard will rest on the flash hider. If the distance between the hider and the lug is longer that what RJF mentioned it will not mount correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info! Barrel is in fact 16.5" flash hider is 4" from the sight. The sight is only about an inch from the gas block. I'm posting pictures of the sight, flash hider, and measurments. I'm still interested in what parts someone added at somepoint if anyone knows!

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think it was made up , but looks good I would put the older blk fiber glass upper on it and lube it up call it a day .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I am seeing, it looks like the Choate sights have the "CT" markings on them. Someone did a fine job welding it on.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Barnold, it looks like someone chopped a Choate pin on flash hider and used the parts to make your "look alike" GB. It's not a bad job either.

kwg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Barnold, it looks like someone chopped a Choate pin on flash hider and used the parts to make your "look alike" GB. It's not a bad job either.

kwg
This is exactly what it is, they did a fine job! Pretty neat seeing the craftsmanship now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, definitely not a GB model. Someone took a Choate Machine and Tool Bird cage flash hider for the Mini-14 and modified it. Welded the sight to the barrel (unfortunate and should have been pinned) and welded a bayonet lug to the bottom of it.

It does look good though. Have you tried to affix a bayonet to it to see if it works?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts