Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally found the Mini 14 of my dreams and out that sucker on layaway. I've heard here and there that the 14s can be real finicky with taking non Ruger branded magazines. Just curious how true that was and which magazines are better than others.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So I finally found the Mini 14 of my dreams and out that sucker on layaway. I've heard here and there that the 14s can be real finicky with taking non Ruger branded magazines. Just curious how true that was and which magazines are better than others.
It is true. Stay with Ruger branded mags. The most reliable are the 5 and 20 round mags, with the 10's and 30's in third and fourth place. The only aftermarket mags I would buy right now are sold by CDNN. They are labeled as "Original Equipment" mags, but they are not made by Ruger. On those, I replace the followers with factory made that you can buy from Midway. So, the ten and 20 rnd "Original Equipment" mags, with ruger followers. Those work as reliably as Ruger mags, imho.

25 years ago, aftermarket mags made by PMI ( Precision Mag Inc), or Federal Ordnance, we're nearly as good as Ruger mags. If you find those in a dealers used mag stash, then it might be worth getting them (at $15 ea. or less).

I would not buy any other aftermarket mags for a Mini 14.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is true. Stay with Ruger branded mags. The most reliable are the 5 and 20 round mags, with the 10's and 30's in third and fourth place. The only aftermarket mags I would buy right now are sold by CDNN. They are labeled as "Original Equipment" mags, but they are not made by Ruger. On those, I replace the followers with factory made that you can buy from Midway. So, the ten and 20 rnd "Original Equipment" mags, with ruger followers. Those work as reliably as Ruger mags, imho.

25 years ago, aftermarket mags made by PMI ( Precision Mag Inc), or Federal Ordnance, we're nearly as good as Ruger mags. If you find those in a dealers used mag stash, then it might be worth getting them (at $15 ea. or less).

I would not buy any other aftermarket mags for a Mini 14.
Appreciate the reply. Have you ran anything by TapCo through your rifle?

·
Super Moderator
4,912 Posts
+1 on Ruger mags. Some other may work, may not. You will spend more than you save weeding through the not work ones, or end up spending more to buy a cheaper mag and replace the internals with Ruger parts.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
573 Posts
While I like factory Ruger mags, I will be the dissenting voice here.

I have 2 of the Tapco 30rnd magazines (Gen 2) and they work fine.
In fact I was out shooting my Mini-14 today and used them.
Review by Nutnfancy here on what's available.

***My results only, YMMV. :)

Reactions: GregTx05

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It is hit or miss with after market mags when it comes to the mini 14, mostly miss. I have some Ruger mags and they are great. I have some after market mags that work well and had some after market mags that turned into targets. Spend your money wisely buy Ruger.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Register your firearm for the 20% off coupon at the online shop.

Then purchase directly from Ruger whatever capacity magazines you desire.

In most cases Ruger has the most stock for sale and the best prices when the discount is applied. They add inventory roughly ever week or two. I will say the 30s are a bit large. The 20 is probably the sweet spot, but I do like my 5s when shooting at 200 meters since they are flush with the stock. More options for resting the rifle when a magazine isn't jutting out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a bunch of mags, Ruger, Promag, and others with no mane at all in all different variations of capacity. I have never had any problems with any of them, knock on wood, lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought ProMag 20 rounders when the Ruger could not be found anywhere. They work fine in my Mini although I find the follower a little lower the the factory. The Ruger mags are high quality mags for sure though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I run a Tapco gen 2 30 rounder in my .300bo Mini-14, never given me any issues.
But with Tapco out of business not sure if there’s any old stock on the shelves.
The Original Equipment mags from CDNN are best bang for the buck but sadly are only in stock once or twice a year and go fast. CDNN doesn’t do ‘Notify Me’ so the only way to catch em is to stumble across them or get the heads up in this forum. Mine ran great with the original followers but I did upgrade to the newer Ruger followers. Those are also hard to find in stock, I waited til Midway got them in and ordered from there.
Most of mine are factory 20 round mags. Dunno why, but the 20s seem to have a better rep for reliability vs the 10s or 30s.

Reactions: 40nascar

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just broke down and ordered 3 OEM 20 rounders from Grabagun. Price was same as ShopRuger, but I just don't like their shipping and lead times. GAG will get it here, and quick.

I saw the Target sports 20 rounders for like $18-20 at a couple sites, but figured too good to be true. I might buy one or two just to mess with, but after years of buying gun stuff, I finally understand Buy once Cry once... Sometimes the lower priced stuff works, most of the time it doesn't, and magazines ain't the place to play around with that.

·
Registered
976 Posts
"25 years ago, aftermarket mags made by PMI ( Precision Mag Inc), or Federal Ordnance, we're nearly as good as Ruger mags. If you find those in a dealers used mag stash, then it might be worth getting."
I second that. I have a few of each and they are real good quality just like the ruger mags.

·
Registered
343 Posts
"25 years ago, aftermarket mags made by PMI ( Precision Mag Inc), or Federal Ordnance, we're nearly as good as Ruger mags. If you find those in a dealers used mag stash, then it might be worth getting."
I second that. I have a few of each and they are real good quality just like the ruger mags.
Yeah one of my mags that came with it, used of course, is a PMI and it's solid as the OEMs.

Reactions: mrmike7189
1 - 19 of 19 Posts