Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a brand new 584 series mini and I'm trying to zero the iron sights. The rifle is shooting 1" low at 50 yards and I believe I have run out of elevation adjustment. The peep sight doesn't seem to go up any higher.

I'm using Hornady American Gunner 5.56 55gr HP match ammo.

Does anyone know if the MINI200 Techsights offer MORE elevation adjustment than the stock sights? I'd rather not send my rifle back to Ruger...

Thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes, I have a TechSight Mini200 rear sight and it does have more adjustment range. However, it's very simple to adjust the front sight if your rifle is shooting low. All you do is file down the front sight blade a bit on top to shorten it until the bullet's impact comes up to where you want it.

No need to send it to Ruger, just adjust the rear sight in the middle of it's range and then carefully file the top of the front blade down a bit at a time until you are hitting where you want it to. Take your file to the range and do it there. Once you have it where you want it, then add a touch of flat black paint to the post and you're good to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
COSteve, I'll save filing the front sight as a last resort option, but thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not start messing with the front sight.

Fixing the sight aside, is there anything wrong that could be causing this? I noticed it was shooting a solid 6" low @ 50 yards right out of the box, before I adjusted and brought it up some.

·
Registered
574 Posts
COSteve, I'll save filing the front sight as a last resort option, but thanks for the suggestion. I'd rather not start messing with the front sight.

Fixing the sight aside, is there anything wrong that could be causing this? I noticed it was shooting a solid 6" low @ 50 yards right out of the box, before I adjusted and brought it up some.
I had a barrel I bought from ASI that I put on an early 580 series rifle. The rifle came with the skinny barrel. I had a similar issue where the POI was always 4 inches right and low at 25 yards. I had the rear sight pegged against the rail to the opposite side. I tried to figure this out for a long time and finally looked at the end of the barrel and noticed that 2 of the riflings simply disappeared just prior to the end of the barrel. 4 had a copper coating on them and what was left of the other 2 lands had nothing on them.

Since I did not buy the rifle new from Ruger and installed the barrel myself, I could not send it back to Ruger for repair. I had to use a 45 degree chamfer cutting tool and bring the muzzle back to where the lands had copper on them. The rifle started shooting well after that.

I think you have a serious problem with the barrel on your rifle and you should send it back and let them know that you have the sights adjusted to the extreme left or right, up or down and you are still not centered. This was a big issue in the 582 series rifles. It appears to me this problem has made a return (or you have an old barrel on your gun) and I think Ruger will take care of you. Short of cutting your barrel down or chamfering the muzzle, you cannot fix this. This is a QC problem that needs addressed.

kwg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I had a barrel I bought from ASI that I put on an early 580 series rifle. The rifle came with the skinny barrel. I had a similar issue where the POI was always 4 inches right and low at 25 yards. I had the rear sight pegged against the rail to the opposite side. I tried to figure this out for a long time and finally looked at the end of the barrel and noticed that 2 of the riflings simply disappeared just prior to the end of the barrel. 4 had a copper coating on them and what was left of the other 2 lands had nothing on them.

Since I did not buy the rifle new from Ruger and installed the barrel myself, I could not send it back to Ruger for repair. I had to use a 45 degree chamfer cutting tool and bring the muzzle back to where the lands had copper on them. The rifle started shooting well after that.

I think you have a serious problem with the barrel on your rifle and you should send it back and let them know that you have the sights adjusted to the extreme left or right, up or down and you are still not centered. This was a big issue in the 582 series rifles. It appears to me this problem has made a return (or you have an old barrel on your gun) and I think Ruger will take care of you. Short of cutting your barrel down or chamfering the muzzle, you cannot fix this. This is a QC problem that needs addressed.

kwg
Thanks for your story. I did look at the crown and didn't notice anything there, but maybe something else is going on.

I am able to adjust windage fine, this is only an elevation issue.

One thing I noticed last night: the owners manual shows the rear sight post is essentially a screw without any kind of stopper on it. However, I've unscrewed the rear sight post up as far as it will go, and it has stopped. Not sure why that is. The sight aperature is pretty high up, in line with the top of the sight guards... I assume it shouldn't go any higher or it would stick out above them?

I'll definitely consider sending it back, but I may give it one more chance at the range since I noticed that about the sight post

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If it is hitting low at 50 yards, where is it hitting at 100 yards?
So I ended the day at 100 yards and it still seemed about an inch or so low, even there. Being 60 rounds deep over 2 hours at that point, the groupings weren't very tight so that estimate may be off. I'm curious where things are from a cold barrel now.

Either way, I should be able to zero the irons at 50 yards no?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with CO Steve. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. File a little off the front sight post (probably about 1/16" by your description would about do it) & be done with it!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So I ended the day at 100 yards and it still seemed about an inch or so low, even there. Being 60 rounds deep over 2 hours at that point, the groupings weren't very tight so that estimate may be off. I'm curious where things are from a cold barrel now.

Either way, I should be able to zero the irons at 50 yards no?
I don't know that I would zero a rifle at 50 yards unless it was a pistol caliber. I would think a rifle shooting a .223 would zero at least at 100 yards. That was why I asked. Is it possible that your round is still coming "up" in relation to the sight line at 50 yards?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm with CO Steve. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. File a little off the front sight post (probably about 1/16" by your description would about do it) & be done with it!
So I was just talking about this with someone else yesterday and they said the same thing. I guess my only concern being that something might be off with the barrel, but he said he doubts it. Sending a rifle back in NY is a PITA too, and I'd imagine it would take a while

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know that I would zero a rifle at 50 yards unless it was a pistol caliber. I would think a rifle shooting a .223 would zero at least at 100 yards. That was why I asked. Is it possible that your round is still coming "up" in relation to the sight line at 50 yards?
Yes, you are correct, the bullet would still be rising. Without getting into a ballistics/battlesight zero discussion, I'll just say I've chosen 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yes, you are correct, the bullet would still be rising. Without getting into a ballistics/battlesight zero discussion, I'll just say I've chosen 50 yards.
Wasn't saying you are wrong to zero at 50. Just saying I'm not sure the rifle was designed to zero at 50, meaning the advice to file the sight makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Totally understood, no worries at all.

FYI, off topic but this is what I'm trying to do:

Sighting in the Mini-14/

I am going to try to hit the range again tomorrow for another chance at zeroing

·
Registered
574 Posts
With my Mini I found that slightly low (1/2" to 1") low at 50 yards was slightly high (1-2") at 100. That is with the factory iron sights and M193 ammo. (Winchester white box or something similar) Sighting at 100 would be ideal in my opinion but I can't see well enough to do 100 yards any more so I shoot to 50.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts