Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add another Ruger to the collection, mostly ranch use, coyotes , wolves and beaver. Would like a tough, quick handling rifle that is easy to maintain . Any advice would be great thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It would be great to have both rifles! The Mini-14 is probably the better choice for ranch use and, in fact, is nicknamed "Ranch Rifle" for that very purpose. It's simple, durable, and the perfect size to bang around in a truck or to be strapped onto an ATV. It's also much less expensive - around $700 compared to $1,300-$1,500 for the SR556.

That being said, the SR556 is a fantastic rifle. It has all the rail space you could ever want for lights, optics, night vision, etc. I think it's one of the best ARs available.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I'm sure both would work fine but the Mini 14 is designed for your stated purpose. At half the price? I'd go with the Mini.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tale of Two Rugers

Looking to add another Ruger to the collection, mostly ranch use, coyotes , wolves and beaver. Would like a tough, quick handling rifle that is easy to maintain . Any advice would be great thanks.
I'll be happy to give my perspective on this, anchor! Here's my personal tale; short story. I owned a beautiful Mini-14 stainless with a black synthetic stock. It wasn't my first use of a Mini-14, but I thought it might be my last. It was a beautiful 6.8 Remington. I loved it. It was compact, and had that beautiful Garand heritage. It pointed like a fine double shotgun and carried sweetly.

Then Ruger brought out the SR556, and I fell in love with it. All the reveiws and YouTubes had me sold. I traded the Mini-14 for the SR556. It was incredibly accurate out of the carton. It shot everything I put through it and every load shot under MOA.

But guys often discover that affairs usually don't last and can get you into trouble. After two year of my sordid affair, shooting 1/2 inch holes through her chrome lined bore, buying her all sorts of expensive do-dads and a Geissele match trigger, feeding her expensive meals on 30 round magazines, I realized what a lot of guys do in the end. She just wouldn't satisfy what I really yearned for all along.

I had forgotten what I had purchased my Mini-14 for in the first place. It was light, fast handling, compact, carried nicely all day, and was the perfect coyote rifle. Sure, it wouldn't shoot sub-MOA. It would be good whenever it shot HOA (hour of angle). But, it wasn't made for bragging or cutting playing cards in half at 100 yards. It was made for just what I needed; a practical field companion that I could take for a walk without getting a cramp in my 62 year old neck from the excess weight, that would reliably zap anything on four legs in its path, and even keep the hearth safe. And, if I wanted to strap a scope on it, I would not have to obtain a DOT height clearance certificate. AR platforms are great for a lot of things, but hanging off the shoulder and practical scope positioning are not two of them. Neither is cost. You can have two Mini-14s and a bottle of your finest aged Scotch for what an SR556 will set you back. And when you start pondering the acres of Picatinni rail on an SR556, there is no end to what her taste demands. Some ladies are what you call high maintenance gals that can't get enough.

My affair has gone and I'm now back home with a Mini-14 stainless synthetic again; but in plain vanilla .223 Rem./5.56mm, and I couldn't be more delighted. I've got the high-cap magazines for it too, but there's just something extra special about a flush 5 round magazine when I want to go for a walk with her. Not every man will agree, for sure. But that's my story.

By the way, Mini-14s need not suffer from their legendary inaccuracy. You might care to read my article on accurizing the Mini-14.
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-semi-auto/62491-tuning-up-your-mini-14-a.html

They're both great rifles for entirely different tastes and uses. Either way, you'll have a dandy companion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts