Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ruger Forum,

A while ago, I bought a new Mini-14 stainless w/ 18" barrel.

Went to the range and could not get through a 10-rd Ruger magazine. Mostly ejection failures. On a few cases, I had a casing from a discharged round lodged securely in the chamber.

A few folks said the gun was new, and needed to be broken in. Things just got worse, until I sent it back to Ruger. When the rifle came back from Ruger, it worked perfectly and still does.

My questions:
  1. Has anyone else had this experience?
  2. Does Ruger test these before delivery to the customer?
  3. Curious as to why they delivered a non-functional rifle to the customer.
I like the gun, and also own a GP-100 which has never had a hiccup.

Regards,

G-Man99

·
Registered
414 Posts
Whatever it was, sounds like they got it sorted out. May have just been over gassed. We're you shooting steel case ammo by chance?

My first AR was a Ruger SR556E. On its first outing I blew through all the brass case 223 ammo we had. To keep the party going we switched to steel. On the third shot the extractor ripped off the back of the case leaving it jammed in the chamber. Luckily someone else had a cleaning rod and I was able to knock it out. I didn't use steel case ammo again. Later I learned that I had the regulator set too high (position 3) and should have turned it down. Later on I tried shooting steel case on 2 and it worked fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got a Mini 30. I’ve had two range sessions. The first I stopped at 40 rounds, with 37 FTEs. I then liberally coated select components of the FCG with Shooters Choice. Second trip started just as bad but by around round 15 it started working fine. Ruger customer service told me Rugers don’t need break-in, this was apparently did. Red dot that I ordered will get here next week. I’ll take it to the range for sighting in. I hope it’s still working properly.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought a Mini-14 back in 2011 cause I did not want an AR. All brass cased ammo, I got 3 to 4 malfunctions per mag. Sent it back to Ruger. It came back much worse. I sent it back again and they sent me a new gun. No word on what was wrong with it, but I suspected a gas problem. The new gun only had one malfunction every 3 or 4 magazines. I got tired of it and bought an AR and have never had a malfunction with the AR. I have not shot the Mini-14 since 2012. Very disappointed with the Mini-14.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought a Mini-14 back in 2011 cause I did not want an AR. All brass cased ammo, I got 3 to 4 malfunctions per mag. Sent it back to Ruger. It came back much worse. I sent it back again and they sent me a new gun. No word on what was wrong with it, but I suspected a gas problem. The new gun only had one malfunction every 3 or 4 magazines. I got tired of it and bought an AR and have never had a malfunction with the AR. I have not shot the Mini-14 since 2012. Very disappointed with the Mini-14.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the mini-14. I know they are picky about non Ruger magazines.
Just curious as to the cause of the malfunctions with those two rifles. I have three mini's, one earlier and two later models with no problems.
I understand your disappointment.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hello Ruger Forum,

A while ago, I bought a new Mini-14 stainless w/ 18" barrel.

Went to the range and could not get through a 10-rd Ruger magazine. Mostly ejection failures. On a few cases, I had a casing from a discharged round lodged securely in the chamber.

A few folks said the gun was new, and needed to be broken in. Things just got worse, until I sent it back to Ruger. When the rifle came back from Ruger, it worked perfectly and still does.

My questions:
  1. Has anyone else had this experience?
  2. Does Ruger test these before delivery to the customer?
  3. Curious as to why they delivered a non-functional rifle to the customer.
I like the gun, and also own a GP-100 which has never had a hiccup.

Regards,

G-Man99
All my mini14 rifles have worked without problems right out of the box.
Of course all firearms (that don't come from mayodan) are test fired 100% before shipping.
That's a good question for Ruger. I'd send a detailed, polite paper letter to the plant manager who built and shipped that gun.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with the mini-14. I know they are picky about non Ruger magazines.
Just curious as to the cause of the malfunctions with those two rifles. I have three mini's, one earlier and two later models with no problems.
I understand your disappointment.
I never used anything but Ruger mags and never shot steel cased ammo. It was just a jam-o-matic out of the box. The replacement rifle was a lot better, but still not without a malfunction once in a while. I’m pretty sure it is a gas problem. I got a couple of lemons. Other than my personal experience, I’ve not heard much of anything negative about the Mini-14. I wanted to love it, but I just couldn’t.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I bought my 583 in 2017. It's never been shot a lot, but never had any problems with .223's or 5.56's. It even survived me takin it apart for a good cleaning for the first time, & still shot good, LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts