Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Bought a mini 14 recently. Someone added a singe clamp barrel strut, flash suppressor/muzzle brake, and another piece to make it look just like an M-14, only 5.5 " shorter. Has a composite stock and heavier barrel. It's maybe 5-6 yrs old. Has a heavier barrel. Fantastic shooter! Sent trigger in for rework and it shooter very smooth. Chambered in 5.56. I'm told it's some kind of professional grade mini, as if used by L.E.. Anyone know if that's true? Put a picatinny rail on with a nice tactical scope. A tack driver once I dialed it in. Looks good hanging in my Birddog too.

If anyone has info on this rifle, I'm interested. Thanks!

·
Righteous Dude
21,561 Posts
Unlikely not (though I'm willing to be corrected). I have one that served as a security/correctional rifle (583) and it's just like one you would buy from a shop.

They're great guns. Sounds like yours is already outfitted with a few extras. Run it and have fun!

·
Registered
563 Posts
We would need pictures and get a look at what you have to comment further. Also look on the side of the receiver and get the series number for us. You described a gun that comes after the 580 series. But, it may be one someone put together. That's why we would like to see pictures.

kwg

·
Registered
707 Posts
You've just got a 58X series Mini with some upgrades/tweaks. They all have a thicker barrel, new front sights, reworked extractor setup, and scope mounts moulded into the receiver. There are a number of tweaks you can do to make them a real 1 MOA shooter with good ammo.

I have a 583 series I got NIB 5 years ago that I've tweaked with a TechSight rear sight with target aperture and thinned front sight blade for 'NM' like sights, reduced gas bushing, torqued gas block, buffers, trigger job, SOCOM length Accu-Strut for better heat dissipation rather than barrel stiffening, Choate HG for heat dissipation I painted brown, shimmed receiver, and M1 Carbine sling plus the purely cosmetic addition of a walnut stock, straight OE brand 20rd mags, and a Choate front sight/FH combo to give it that full 'Mini M14' look I want.

It's very accurate and I use it to shoot bowling pins and clay pigeons at 200yds with and as you can see, it's got iron sights!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts