Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently taken my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle out to shoot at the range and I've noticed something a bit troubling, though I don't know if it's a common problem.

I fired about 100 rounds and I'd say about 2-3 times during the firing, the hammer slammed down on an empty chamber. Meaning the round had not been stripped off the magazine and into the breech. I was able to correct it each time by manually cycling the action.

But this does raise some concern for me if I were to use the rifle for home defense. I wouldn't want a failure-to-fire in a life-or-death situation.

Any ideas what could be causing it? It's one of the newer 582 series Ranch Rifles, blued with black synthetic furniture. This is only the second time when I've taken it out to shoot.

I'm using a factory blue 30-round 5.56 magazine which was only loaded with 25 rounds each time for reliability. I keep the gun exceptionally clean and lubricated. And it appeared the action was cycling properly with each shot. It appeared to be that it didn't push the next round into the chamber when the bolt went forward. I'm

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Sounds like it is not picking up the round from the magazine which may be a weak magazine spring or something in the mag delaying the bullets from moving up fast enough for the bolt to strip them out of the mag.
I have heard more complaints on the 30 round mags and most mini-14 users prefer the 20 round mags for better reliability. I would try the 20 round mags being that is the least expensive change to see if you get better reliability from your mags.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it is not picking up the round from the magazine which may be a weak magazine spring or something in the mag delaying the bullets from moving up fast enough for the bolt to strip them out of the mag.
I have heard more complaints on the 30 round mags and most mini-14 users prefer the 20 round mags for better reliability. I would try the 20 round mags being that is the least expensive change to see if you get better reliability from your mags.
Yeah I also have a 20-rounder which I'm going to try and see if it fares better next time I go to the range. May just be the 30-rounder is a bit finicky.

Just didn't know if this was a commonplace problem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I will have to agree with HBK . The 30 rnd mags can be a crap shoot, The factory 20rnders are the best mag that Ruger makes for the Mini.
I have 30 rnders that I never use. The 20s are more reliable.
Ruger also had some issues with the bolt on the 582 series , I know this because myself and others have had there guns replaced with the newer 583 series guns.
If the 20 rnd mags fix the problem , great. If not , send it back to Ruger . There C/S is great . Also check out the PerfectUnion.com | Shooting Sports Forum forum and you will find plenty of discussion on the 582 s problems.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As I told you on RugerForum.com, the 1st suspect is the mag. Visually check the outside for dents, dings, or dirt that could inhibit it's function. Then dissemble it and clean the body, spring, and follower and apply a light coat of oil and then reassemble. Then depress the follower with a pencil to check for any binding and to ensure that it slides smoothly inside the mag body. Finally, load the mag and then using a handle or such, strip off the rounds to see if the follower pushes the round up completely.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a problem like that. Turns out it was a imperfection on the mag lip on the 1 side. Just looking it was hard to see put after I looked at it in bright light I saw it. I stoned it down and works great now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts