Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am getting my Mini 14 ranch Rifle tomorrow, new to it. very familiar with AR platform, so what does the mini like to shoot. i know different AR's can like different bulletts and weights. recommendations??:D

·
Exalted One
1,859 Posts
am getting my Mini 14 ranch Rifle tomorrow, new to it. very familiar with AR platform, so what does the mini like to shoot. i know different AR's can like different bulletts and weights. recommendations??:D
Anything!:) (almost). Some folks have had poor experience with steel-cased ammo.

Others will chime in about specific brands if you're not hand-loading. Your Mini might prefer one brand over another - each Mini seems to have its own personality. Ammo choice is often a function of what you plan to use it for. For plinking and not hunting or bench firing, PMC Bronze in .223 Rem works for me, as does M193 NATO. Haven't tried M855 but should work fine for you.

Enjoy your Mini!

·
Registered
370 Posts
If your ranch rifle is new the twist rate will be 1 in 9 . Heres a little chart that will help you. I dont run anything but brass in mine, YMMV.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good chart!! does the mini NOT like any particular manufacturers? my AR like Hornady better than most

·
Exalted One
1,859 Posts
If your ranch rifle is new the twist rate will be 1 in 9 . Heres a little chart that will help you. I dont run anything but brass in mine, YMMV.
Misfire, that is a great chart! Too bad they didn't include 1:10 for us older Mini owners...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine has shot everything fine. In my reloads it seems to like 65 grain bullets best, but that will depends on components anyway. I've shot brass and steel just to make sure it would work. I've also shot
223 and 5.56 with no problems.

·
Registered
621 Posts
RACAT for the new rifle I definitely recommend you stay away from steel cased ammo. I recommend your first 100 rounds be a good quality GI Ball equivalent ammo. Use your bore snake often during break in. After your rifle is broken in you can try some cheaper stuff like Winchester white box 55 grain bullets. You can bore snake less after break in.

If your rifle is running well you can try some steel ammo but you have to have a bore snake to run through the barrel every 20 rounds or so. Steel ammo leaks gas around the bullet end of the case and it will foul your chamber. This causes sticking.

If you switch between steel and brass ammo I think you will see what kind of night mare I'm talking about. Bore snake, bore snake, bore snake if you switch between brass and steel!!

Some folks say to keep you rifle dry with little lube but I say keep it a little wet. Especially the op rod spring, op rod slide and where the bolt rides in the receiver. I use 90wt. gear oil cut 50/50 with RemOil. Everyone has their own oil and recipe, that's mine. I want the oil to stick to the metal and not run off, this seems to work.

Last tip, make sure your bore snake is a .22 caliber snake. do not try to use a 6mm or anything larger. It will only bring you grief.

Last, last tip, at some point you are going to take your rifle apart and clean it. If it is a 580 series and above make sure you replace the receiver end of the op rod spring back in correctly. If you get it wrong your rifle will malfunction and it will not work correctly. It's easy to mess this one up and a bear to figure out where you went wrong

That's my tips, good luck. If you get bored, I'm sure the forum will have more for you. kwg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kwg, thx, im a fan of MPRO 7 oil and will take advice of running a little wet. Question, do you have a diagram or picture of the right way the op rod spring goes in correctly? or a youtube recommendation? Thanks in advance... BTW only run brass rounds, the best i can afford.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
kwg, thx, im a fan of MPRO 7 oil and will take advice of running a little wet. Question, do you have a diagram or picture of the right way the op rod spring goes in correctly? or a youtube recommendation? Thanks in advance... BTW only run brass rounds, the best i can afford.
RACAT, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Mini. On YouTube, Ruger has some excellent videos on how to take apart your rifle and put it back together. Also on YouTube, on the channel Aftermath Gun Club, there is a young lady who does a fine job of field stripping and re-assembling a Mini.

As for ammo, depends on what you're using your Ranch Rifle for. For range ammo, there are numerous choices for 55 grain fmj rounds. Try 'em all and see if your rifle prefers certain brands over others. For shooting groups, or hunting, you will most likely want ammo intended more for those purposes.

As for cheap steel cased ammo? I think that's really a personal choice. Some folks wouldn't let it get within ten feet of their rifle, while others shoot the stuff all the time. Personally, I believe you'd have to shoot an awful lot of the stuff before you would ever wear out your gun. In the mean time, the money you save on ammo would be more than enough to buy another new rifle.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
My 188 series Mini 14 Ranch Rifle eats anything brass cased or the Tula steel cased stuff. My preference is some quality brass cased stuff PMC, Remington, Win., Fiochi etc usually the .223 55 grain fmj but also 5.56 as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
RECAT, a couple of weeks ago I took my mini out to try out the new Accu-strut I had installed (my mini is a 182 series). I put different brands of brass ammo through it and at 100 yards and my shots were all over the place (3+ MOA). Then I switched to just one brand and stuck with it.
Though accuracy seemed to drop off as the barrel heated up, it stayed right around 1-2 MOA in a pretty tight grouping.
My two cents worth is to try and stick with one brand. I found some brass ammo at Walmart that wasn't very expensive and so far appears to be consistent and accurate - it's made in Italy, the name is Perfecta, 55gr. Reloadable brass

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My 580 series has over 3500 rounds through it w/o a single malfunction that includes steel case ammo too . If you get a good one it will eat anything

·
Registered
370 Posts
Misfire, that is a great chart! Too bad they didn't include 1:10 for us older Mini owners...
The 1/10 twist will probably shoot the 55grn and lower bullets . I know there are some 40 grn bullets out there and those would probably work just fine. Carry on.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
RACAT, the end of the op rod that goes towards the receiver should have the pointy part facing up, like this pic. Putting it in pointing down will cause your bolt to not retract fully.

·
Exalted One
1,859 Posts
The 1/10 twist will probably shoot the 55grn and lower bullets . I know there are some 40 grn bullets out there and those would probably work just fine. Carry on.
Carrying on! When I started shooting in semi-earnest last year, I had several hundred rounds of M193 I had bought back in 1983. When I found this forum, as well as PU, I found a link to barrel twists for various Minis (I had never even considered barrel twist before then), and found a link to an article relating ammo to barrel twists. That article really focused on 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 twists, but had also mentioned as an aside, 1:10, which mentioned the range from 40 to 62 grain as the best range for that twist. Since I already had the M193, I concluded that it was about as close to the middle of that range readily available, so I stuck with it. When I decided to get more ammo last spring, I settled on PMC Bronze .223 Rem FMJBT - mostly because I've been very happy with other PMC ammo, but also because its price was decent if bought in bulk and its ballistic characteristics were very close to M193. In the back of my mind, I was also looking at Savage rifles in .223-only, so that may have also entered into the equation.

When my nephew visited last spring, he brought his (very nice) AR and about 500 rounds of M855. He offered some to me but by then, I had already read the article and declined. Maybe some day I'll try it out just to see, but 55gr works well for me - plinking and home defense.

The chart you provided (the Cliff Notes of barrel twist/bullet weight) would have saved me a lot of time selecting the best weight. As it turned out, the article I read gave a very informative lay-out of barrel twist and its relation to the weight (really, length) of the bullet, so all was not bad.

You never stop learning!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't even remember where I copied that chart from. I think I was looking for ammo on the inner web and stumbled onto a site that had it. I copied it and yes its been very helpful. I urge everyone to copy it for your files. Until I found that chart I used the SWAG method on the bullet weights ( Scientific Wild A## Guess ) The chart helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts