Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just have a question on my mini 14 techical my rear sight loosen up all the time I have tried blue lock tight and I have tried red but have the same results I thought about getting the tech sight one but I thought I would ask you all first
Thanks for all the help
Jim

·
Registered
232 Posts
You might need to hose the adjusting holes with crud cutter/brake cleaner to get the oil off. Then just use the blue locktite. The red is for permanent locking. The blue will gum it up just fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello All
I did what you all suggested and now am just waiting to go to the range and try it.I should now within the first 5 shots. I will let you all know on how it does.
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update
I would like to say thank-you I did what you all suggested and degrease the screw hole and the screw and I went to the range and fire off about 50 shots and the rear sight stayed tight.

·
Registered
913 Posts
blue loctite fixes it

fixed mine with blue loctite

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone I just have a question on my mini 14 techical my rear sight loosen up all the time I have tried blue lock tight and I have tried red but have the same results I thought about getting the tech sight one but I thought I would ask you all first
Thanks for all the help
Jim
Had the same problem with loose factory rear sights. will try the solutions that recommend the de-greasing the holes and screws.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Any time you use loc-tite or similar agent, it is very important that you de-grease the screws and screw hole threads. The oil on the screw threads acts like a release agent and the loc tite will not bond to the metal. For you guys that need a fast fix for this problem and do not have any loc-tite, use your wife's fingernail polish after de-greasing. It works very well also.

·
Registered
913 Posts
great recommendations!

Any time you use loc-tite or similar agent, it is very important that you de-grease the screws and screw hole threads. The oil on the screw threads acts like a release agent and the loc tite will not bond to the metal. For you guys that need a fast fix for this problem and do not have any loc-tite, use your wife's fingernail polish after de-greasing. It works very well also.
good to know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
BTW, LocTite also makes a purple version, which I find works best with small screws like the rear sight screw.

General rule for LocTite:
Large bolts (like in an automobile): Red (You should never use red on a firearm.)
Standard screws: blue
Small screws: purple

And, as mentioned above, you must degrease both the screw and the receptacle before applying LocTite.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm new and this is from my first post, about Mini in 300 BLK. Saw jimkok's question/issue and his mention of Tech-Sights, so thought I'd jump in.

(A note about the less-than-satisfactory outings last summer ... there were never any issues with the rifle, per se. However, sometimes, groupipngs would be nice and even quite tight, very much like the 10/22, but with bigger holes. Other groups would start to open up. With that big barrel on the 300 BLK Mini, I didn't figure it was the "stringing" I've read about with some of the thinner-barrelled Mini's. It turns out that the rear sight would sometimes be "fixed" and sometimes liked to work itself loose. I chose to live with it for a while rather than LocTite it because I intended to put Tech-Sights on it as soon as they had 'em back in stock for the Mini.)

This I have done, and while I appreciated the left and right set-screws on the Tech-Sights product, I did use some LocTite. Worked like a champ during the one session I've had since I put it on, about 3 weeks ago. Had the gun out last night and it's still rock-solid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts