Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got a factory new Mini-14 and decided to try out disassembly and reassembly to practice for when I'll have to first clean it. I found an issue when trying to reassemble the rifle:

I placed in the barrel and trigger assembly into the rifle, and followed as the manual and videos told me to simply squeeze down on the trigger guard to have it click in place. The issue was the trigger guard wasn't aligned on the correct side of the notch for pressing it in and locking it. So whenever I pressed it down it would go on the wrong side, towards the trigger, when I wanted it to go away from the trigger.

I tried for nearly an hour of finagling it, and after using a screwdriver for leverage (and even more time) I was finally able to get it on the right side of the notch and for it to lock it.

I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of using a screwdriver and a ton of strength for just getting the trigger guard in place... I was wondering if perhaps there is a way to get the trigger guard to naturally go to the right side of the notch?

Note: Yes, the gun was cocked, and the safety was on.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hello, I just got a factory new Mini-14 and decided to try out disassembly and reassembly to practice for when I'll have to first clean it. I found an issue when trying to reassemble the rifle:

I placed in the barrel and trigger assembly into the rifle, and followed as the manual and videos told me to simply squeeze down on the trigger guard to have it click in place. The issue was the trigger guard wasn't aligned on the correct side of the notch for pressing it in and locking it. So whenever I pressed it down it would go on the wrong side, towards the trigger, when I wanted it to go away from the trigger.

I tried for nearly an hour of finagling it, and after using a screwdriver for leverage (and even more time) I was finally able to get it on the right side of the notch and for it to lock it.

I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of using a screwdriver and a ton of strength for just getting the trigger guard in place... I was wondering if perhaps there is a way to get the trigger guard to naturally go to the right side of the notch?

Note: Yes, the gun was cocked, and the safety was on.
Stick a punch in the hole in the back of the trigger guard. Pull back on the punch with one hand and press down into the slot with the other. You can also bend it back a little, but i don't recommend that, as it needs to be tight to keep it from popping open. My trigger guard was too loose, and it popped out while firing.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Where are you at Greenleg ? Maybe there is someone close that can help you with questions face to face. We are all over the country, there may be someone close.

kwg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Stick a punch in the hole in the back of the trigger guard. Pull back on the punch with one hand and press down into the slot with the other. You can also bend it back a little, but i don't recommend that, as it needs to be tight to keep it from popping open. My trigger guard was too loose, and it popped out while firing.
I did something kind of like that, using a pair of curved pliers to pull back and my hand to push down, and it worked great. Thanks for the idea :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
They can be a real bear at times. I have a 186 series Mini-14 that has been completely apart and reassembled about 100 times in the past and I still have a problem in assembling the trigger mechanism back into the rifle. I also have the Mini-30, which is a 583 series, and at times I've had problems replacing the trigger mechanism in it, I reckon it is just the nature of the beast. I remember when I was in the USMC, I was issued an M-14 and the assembly (trigger assembly) is quite similar to the Mini-14 and the Mini-30 but never had a problem reassembling that rifle, go figure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
GreenLeg,
You first have to clean it now, before firing. Saves a worse mess later and possible function problems.
After removing the stock, spray carburetor cleaner over the trash can outside. Quick pass with bore brush and chamber brush should do it. Removes the factory preservative. Then lubricate. Many of us have posted our preferences of lubricant and rust prevention measures.
Enjoy your new rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts