Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

As the title states, the safety on my Mini-14 is not working properly. When the bolt is closed I cannot get the safety switch to move from "on" to "off" or the other way around. With the bolt locked open I can move the safety switch freely.

I did partially disassemble the gun a couple of days ago. All I did was remove the trigger housing assembly as outlined in the instruction manual. I did not disassemble the gun any further. After reinstalling the trigger housing assembly the safety lever can only be moved if the bolt is locked open.

Any suggestions?

Here is what I am working with:
IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

I've played around with this assembly (out of the the gun) and the hammer needs to be cocked rearward an additional 1/4" or so for the me to be able to move the safety lever. Did I somehow bend something when popping the trigger guard loose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would have no idea what could have happened but I think inadvertently you have created a malfunction. I am sure one of the mini experts will be along shortly and help. I have had my mini apart a lot and never had this happen. Real head scratcher.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
My suggestion is to call Ruger as long as you have not modified the assembly in any way they should be able to help you fix it or if its a newer Mini they will get it back and fix it for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Folks,

As the title states, the safety on my Mini-14 is not working properly. When the bolt is closed I cannot get the safety switch to move from "on" to "off" or the other way around. With the bolt locked open I can move the safety switch freely.

I did partially disassemble the gun a couple of days ago. All I did was remove the trigger housing assembly as outlined in the instruction manual. I did not disassemble the gun any further. After reinstalling the trigger housing assembly the safety lever can only be moved if the bolt is locked open.

Any suggestions?

Here is what I am working with:
View attachment 19924

View attachment 19925

I've played around with this assembly (out of the the gun) and the hammer needs to be cocked rearward an additional 1/4" or so for the me to be able to move the safety lever. Did I somehow bend something when popping the trigger guard loose?

Thanks!
Did you make sure that the hammer was cocked before you tried to pull down on the trigger guard? If the hammer is not cocked and you try to pull on the t-guard it will put undo pressure on the guard and will probably bend it. That could cause some binding , Iam shooting in the dark here but thats the only thing I can think of. Once the trigger is cocked and out of the gun theres no reason to latch it back into the firing group housing. I see in your picture that the guard is in the group. Also make sure all the pins are centered on the FCS and a pin is not sticking out to one side. Scratching my head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The safety is designed so that the hammer is pulled back out of engagement with the sear when the safety is on. It can take some force to apply, and the area where the safety contacts the hammer is a point that can wear quickly if the hammer is a little soft. I have exactly the same trigger group as you do in my rifle, and it came with a very stiff safety. Mine is a 583 serial number series stainless 5.56 ranch rifle. I saw a burr developing on the hammer where the safety contacts it, so I removed the burr with a fine stone and applied a small amount of rifle grease to the contact point. It has been fine for the last year and about 700 rounds of firing. Take a close look at yours for a burr or a slot forming, and decide whether you want to try it yourself, or let Ruger handle it under the guarantee .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I contacted Ruger customer service and they had me ship the rifle and one magazine to them. They ended up replacing the gun with a brand new one. I did not get an explanation of what the problem was, but that is ok.

Bonus #1: When I went to pick the rifle up, yesterday, I was prepared to pay the $30 transfer fee at my LGS. While looking over the consignment guns and found a blued Single Six for a price I couldn't ignore. The store owner only charged me $.01 for the Mini-14 transfer fee. I felt pretty good about that.

Bonus #2: I mentioned, above, that I sent one magazine back to Ruger. Well, the new rifle came with two magazines...so I now have an extra 20-round magazine for my troubles! I thought that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to those of you that offered help with my situation! Now if I could only find a Redhawk or GP100 on consignment...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good luck on finding a Redhawk or GP100 in a used or consignment case. Both are very good handguns that people don't part with often.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Good news. something's that go to Ruger will forever remain a mystery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: I contacted Ruger customer service and they had me ship the rifle and one magazine to them. They ended up replacing the gun with a brand new one. I did not get an explanation of what the problem was, but that is ok.

Bonus #1: When I went to pick the rifle up, yesterday, I was prepared to pay the $30 transfer fee at my LGS. While looking over the consignment guns and found a blued Single Six for a price I couldn't ignore. The store owner only charged me $.01 for the Mini-14 transfer fee. I felt pretty good about that.

Bonus #2: I mentioned, above, that I sent one magazine back to Ruger. Well, the new rifle came with two magazines...so I now have an extra 20-round magazine for my troubles! I thought that was pretty cool.
No such thing as "extra" Mini mags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts