Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being from north of the border get parts are very hard. So, what can be done to make my mini more accurate and enjoyable?
58x series stainless.
I already have switched to an ATI stock, a very basic trigger job.

Any thoughts and comments, remember that Canada is backwards (in ways) regarding firearms.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Greetings from a fellow Mini shooter that lives about 800 KM south of you.
They let you have high cap semi-autos up there ? Are you limited on magazine capacity ?
First thing you should do is tone down the gas system. Mini's are way overgassed. The stock gas bushing is .080", most guys run a bushing that is .045". This, along with running Wilson 1911 buffers on each end of the op-rod will make the Mini less harsh when you touch off a round. Less violent cycling is easier on parts, easier on whatever optics you run, brass isn't flung into the next county and dented up, you get back on target quicker.
You have to take the 4 screws out of the gas block to swap out your bushing. The screws are usually ( but not always) staked from the factory, so a little extra effort is needed to get them to break free. You'll hear each one pop, then they'll unscrew. The gas bushing is the small cylinder fitted into the hole in the barrel. It goes through the top of the gas block and into the gas pipe, which it holds into the lower gas block.
New smaller orifice bushings can be bought from ASI in Byers, Colorado, or Lee Hadaway in Trinidad, Colorado. You can just get a .045" right off the bat, or those guys offer a set, usually .040", .045", and .050".
Pics below show where the Wilson buffers are placed. One around the gas pipe, one around the recoil spring plunger at the back. These cushion the metal to metal slamming of the gas block so it doesn't whack the receiver and gas block when it cycles. A few Mini's out there might not like to run both buffers, but most guys have no problems running both front and back buffers. My three Mini's have always been 100% reliable with buffers and a smaller gas bushing.
Since you already have a newer 580+ series, a strut under the barrel won't help your Mini much. Adding a flash hider on the end of the barrel seems to help slow down barrel whip, but might not be allowed in the Canadian provinces.
After changing out the gas bushing, put the gas block back on, tightening the screws in a criss cross pattern to 25-30 In. Lbs., making sure the gap on each side is roughly the same. Taking the gas block on and off will affect your point of impact, so you'll have to re-sight in after.
Other things some guys have done is Cyro treat the barrel, which will cost at least $80, and bed the stock. Many like the Tech Sight rear sight enough to replace the one that came on their new Mini's. It has better, easier adjustments than the Ruger rear sight. I have three of them and they are great. You can adjust the sight out in the field with just the tip of a cartridge.
Smaller gas bushing I made by turning down a Stainless steel bolt :

Buffer locations:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
HI,
Thanks for the suggestions. As for the mag capacity, its 5 round mags only. The bushing is what I am presently working on. I can't have them shipped in from the US as I need miles of paperwork done first. I got 1 quote from the local machine shop, $75 plus tax. :(
What I am working on is a 1/4 grade 5 bolt that I put in my drill, then clamped my drill into the vice to work on the bolt. I have managed to get it down to .190 in diameter so far.
Buffers, only place I have found them for sale is on Amazon of all the places, they are ordered.
I thought about glass bedding it but the local shop is asking close to $200 for that. Really how hard is it to bed a mini 14? I have never done it so....
Upgrading the iron site no luck, again paperwork. I also looked at a muzzle brake, same thing.

Edit to add: If this was an AR type of gun (which are classed as Restricted in Canada) I could build from scratch as there are that many parts.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Being from north of the border get parts are very hard. So, what can be done to make my mini more accurate and enjoyable?
58x series stainless.
I already have switched to an ATI stock, a very basic trigger job.

Any thoughts and comments, remember that Canada is backwards (in ways) regarding firearms.
I feel for you guys in Canada. Parts are hard to get and even though your dollar has risen to parity with the US dollar, they still gouge you guys on everything. Sandog is a great source on the Minis, especially the older series.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel for you guys in Canada. Parts are hard to get and even though your dollar has risen to parity with the US dollar, they still gouge you guys on everything. Sandog is a great source on the Minis, especially the older series.
Exchange rate is a killer right now, $1.32 cad to 1 us. :( Problem is no one is willing to ship into Canada unless I have reams of paperwork done for both our governments.
I've been researching and reading. I think a new bushing (homemade), float the barrel and glassing it, then buffers should do it without needing to re-mortgaging the house.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeez, the machinist wants $75 to make a bushing ? Yours will be fine, just get it down to .186" diameter and length of .265". Read Walkenbears replies on this perfect union thread, he makes bushings to sell from time to time.
Welcome to oil country going dry due to the government. Its hurting almost everyone around here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With sandog leading me astray, I was checking out CeraKote for my mags and original stock. All was good until I got to the shipping stage. hey want $197.75 cad to ship 4 oz to me. :(
Can anyone thing or other options??

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The shipping is like 4 times what the Cerakote costs ? Maybe give Cerakote (NIC Industries) a call, they might have a source in Canada that stocks their paint. It has to be shipped UPS ground, as it's considered hazardous, like gunpowder.
Maybe you need to take a trip down here, I'll trade you some Cerakote for a few cases of Molson!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shipping is like 4 times what the Cerakote costs ? Maybe give Cerakote (NIC Industries) a call, they might have a source in Canada that stocks their paint. It has to be shipped UPS ground, as it's considered hazardous, like gunpowder.
Maybe you need to take a trip down here, I'll trade you some Cerakote for a few cases of Molson!
That was the shipping quote from CeraKote (NIC) :( What I am leaning towards is Cerakoting the factory black stock and 4 of the 5 round mags. Shops around here are asking $250+.
Molson's and a round trip is sounding pretty cheap at this point. :D
Always up for meeting a brother from a different mother as well (brothers of the same favorite guns)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Well, it might not work as well on the magazines, but as far as painting your stock, maybe go to a guy near you that does sandblasting or powdercoating, and have him blast your stock with something around 90-100 grit aluminum oxide, then spray it with Krylon Fusion spray paint. It is made for spraying on plastics, so should hold up well on your stock. Just remember to clean the stock well with Acetone or the like before spraying, and use latex gloves to keep fingerprints off the stock.
I won't be doing any more Cerakoting this time of year as it's too cold in the garage or barn to spray, but I'll be starting up again in the spring. You'll have to bring your Mini down and we'll spray it, and the stock and mags.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well with many e-mails and phone calls I have found that some companies will ship north. Actually 2 so far depending on what it is that I want. It comes down to dollar value and the component. No mags, not even the 5 rd mags, so I bought 2 more at $50 each.
Still can't find a reasonable way to get CeraKote here but that will be the last step of my customization of my mini. I may just send the gun off and have it done here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got back from some shooting today. Shoot about 60 rounds through the Mini. I got the buffers in along with the ATI stock, which fits very tight to the action. Groups shrunk by about 1/2 at 100 yards down to about 2ish inches. My attempt of a gas bushing was a fail. The hole was offset slightly so round two for the bushing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New bushing made with the hole centered, .186 diameter and I left it at .279 and had planned to slowly trim it down. In fitting I used the method on A.S. I. website for measuring the length. At .279 I have some play in length. Plan to go shooting this weekend (weather permitting) so see if I need to do a third attempt.

I also have some goodies coming from Brownells as well. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jeez, the machinist wants $75 to make a bushing ? Yours will be fine, just get it down to .186" diameter and length of .265". Read Walkenbears replies on this perfect union thread, he makes bushings to sell from time to time.
Mini 14/30 gas bushing length - Shooting Sports Forum
Jeez… this sounds like an ordinary drill bushing. The 3/16 OD x 3/64 or 1.10mm bore… haven't bought drill bushings for a while but they were about $5/each (ifrc) and were precision ground OD and a precision lapped bore… standard industrial hardware...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spin RX, thanks for the idea, it works well. Now throwing brass around 6-7' and I've put 160 rds through it with no problems.
But in the process a set screw from the rear site went bye bye.

I don't think I posted but I pulled the trigger and got an Ultimak hand guard from Brownells. I had to do some custom fitting and trimming on the ATI stock for it to work, but its all good now. The exchange really killed me, it ended up at $208 cdn :( so a scope I want will be spring time.
Also looking at Arma-Coat for finishing the stock, barrel etc since CeraKote is way too expensive to get up here.
Link: Arma-Coat Kits

By spring I hope to have the stock stock glass bedded and done in a coyote brown colour with a iron sight better than the stock on the rear, front blade sight filed done to .05 from .08.

·
Registered
370 Posts
From what I can tell it looks almost like Brownells Aluma Hyde , has the same colors as aluma hyde just not as many. Its an epoxy and should do the job.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
binrat, glad your Mini project is coming together. You'll like the Ultimak hand guard.
The Arma-Coat should do the job for you. If you wanted me to help you Cerakote your Mini, you'd now have to travel a lot farther than Montana. I came down to Arizona for a while, got to go shooting with Misfire this morning. You can't beat 65 degrees in December for good shooting weather!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased a 582 series mini-14 early this year to use as a plinker. After the initial outing I knew that the as delivered rifle needed some help.

First, I replaced the stock rear aperture sight (.095 that you can drive a truck through) with the .065 aperture Tech Sight. It has proved much easier to adjust and more accurate.

Second, I purchased the set of replacement gas bushings along with the spring and buffers. I have replaced the spring and added the buffers. I tried the .045 bushing which was a great improvement over the stock bushing. The brass now travels 10-15 ft between 2 and 3 o'clock. I tried the .040 bushing but experienced several FTE. I can live with 10-15 ft and returned to the .045 bushing.

Yesterday, my brother and nephew shot 10 round groups at 50 yds, scoring 95 and 93 respectively using 55 gr FMJ and 26.0 gr of H4895 (and yes that is a compressed load!).

At this point I don't see a need to add a stabilizing gas strut. It doesn't seem to help that much on the 58x series.

I calling my year long project a success!

I hope your improvements work out as well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts