Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I buy the cool one? :D

So, poking around on my free time, I have been looking at stabilizers- Accustrut, Har-Bar, Mo-Rod, and a few others. I have decided to go with Accustrut.

Now, I need opinions and help with which Accustrut to buy. I have the new series Mini with the tapered barrel. Both struts look nice, but I really like the SOCOM strut.

So, what is the better choice here? Am I sacrificing potential for looks? Can I get the Socom since I have a heavier barrel or should I go all the way and get the two-clamp strut?

Feel free to add your thoughts. You can even suggest alternatives. I am not stuck on buying the AccuStrut brand. The price, appearance, and reviews seem to favor this brand.

Also, feel free to post pics- who doesn't like seeing Minis and mods? :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You know I'm on the fence I have two 580 series so I'm in the same dilemma , "most" of the reviews say that the accu strut/ har bar do little or nothing for (our series).I know they look great and kinda tie in the whole M1 look especially on an older model... but at aprox 100+$ are they really worth it?! IDK that's up to each of us. like the AR platform ,if there are ways to improve both looks and function then i say why not .I like the SS Socom model too its a little shorter and I think looks better with the new tapered barrels .If you get it let me know what YOU think.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Neon, Kevin, the guy who makes the Accustrut, did extensive testing and found only the two clamp model showed a significant improvement in accuracy. And make sure you drill the little dimples on either side of the gas block to tie it in at the back and further stiffen things up. I don't have any experience with the H-Bar or Mo-Rod, but the stainless Accustrut does match the SS Mini pretty darn close. My Mini and strut aren't stainless anymore, they're now FDE Cerakote.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I have the Socom 4" on my Mini 14 Tactical but it only has the 16" tapered barrel and it does nothing for the accuracy of the shorter barrel. It does help with heat and it looks really cool but if I had it to do all over, I could think of something better to put the money into. Like ammo.

If you have the 18" tapered barrel you might do better with the 2 clamp version over the single 4 or 5" Socom single clamp.

It does look cool but that's about all it does.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both your guys' Minis look awesome. Well so far I am thinking I will get the longer strut. I still appreciate input.

·
Registered
488 Posts
1) go 2 clamp if you are seeking ANY accuracy improvement. 1 clamp models have not been proven to help accuracy at all.

2) accu-strut is the brand i always recommend. it was the first mass produced and the owner put much effort and expense into testing his product. he also stands behind his product and supports his customers.

3) the accu-strut stainless match is PERFECT. (if applies)

4) you might see a small accuracy improvement from the strut (i did), but i am sure you find your barrel handles sustained firing and remains much cooler.

here's a link to my mini w/ accu-strut. :) i feel it was a good investment

ruger mini 14 - Ruger Forum

Can I buy the cool one? :D

So, poking around on my free time, I have been looking at stabilizers- Accustrut, Har-Bar, Mo-Rod, and a few others. I have decided to go with Accustrut.

Now, I need opinions and help with which Accustrut to buy. I have the new series Mini with the tapered barrel. Both struts look nice, but I really like the SOCOM strut.

So, what is the better choice here? Am I sacrificing potential for looks? Can I get the Socom since I have a heavier barrel or should I go all the way and get the two-clamp strut?

Feel free to add your thoughts. You can even suggest alternatives. I am not stuck on buying the AccuStrut brand. The price, appearance, and reviews seem to favor this brand.

Also, feel free to post pics- who doesn't like seeing Minis and mods? :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
i never drilled dimples, i used purple loctite. i has held tight for years now. but you should either use the loctite OR drill the dimples, it will slide otherwise.

Neon, Kevin, the guy who makes the Accustrut, did extensive testing and found only the two clamp model showed a significant improvement in accuracy. And make sure you drill the little dimples on either side of the gas block to tie it in at the back and further stiffen things up. I don't have any experience with the H-Bar or Mo-Rod, but the stainless Accustrut does match the SS Mini pretty darn close. My Mini and strut aren't stainless anymore, they're now FDE Cerakote.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, hawkguy! Your Mini looks impressive! What stock is on that? It looks incredible!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Neon Horse;1406164]Thanks for the input, hawkguy!
your welcome. all my opinion of course.

Your Mini looks impressive! What stock is on that? It looks incredible!
thank you. i got really lucky on that stock and got an old factory wood stock (curved butt) for $38 brand new. it is really a nice looking piece of wood, but it dings very easily, so i have to baby it a bit. best thing i ever did for it, i just wasn't a fan of the original black plastic stock.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your welcome. all my opinion of course.

thank you. i got really lucky on that stock and got an old factory wood stock (curved butt) for $38 brand new. it is really a nice looking piece of wood, but it dings very easily, so i have to baby it a bit. best thing i ever did for it, i just wasn't a fan of the original black plastic stock.
What a deal! It looks excellent. I like the sling, too

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, it is a bit pricy. I have a sling on mine that I'm content with for now... but yours looks cooler! And isn't that what it's all about? :D

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
NH,

Have you put the rails on your stock yet, that also adds to the cool factor you know. :p

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NH,

Have you put the rails on your stock yet, that also adds to the cool factor you know. :p
Haha :D No, I wad just thinking as I saw your Mini that I have failed to do half pf the things I want to. I need to tinker with the Mini, Takedown, and a few shotguns... all put on the backburner. I finally cleaned my main carry pistol today! Haha. I plan to order some Magpul rails for the Mini and my AR.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't think any of the stabilizers look cool. If they do work, it's too bad the Minis need these to be accurate. I shoot my stock Minis and accept them for what they are. I am not a fan of add ons for the cool factor.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bvd1;1407089]I don't think any of the stabilizers look cool.
of course beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. :) i am one of a minority that find the looks of the AR-15 to be somewhat generic and bland. (not a judgement on the gun, just the looks). and as said, i realize that is a minority opinion.

i think the struts make the mini 14 look a bit more M-14(ish), and i like that. but i have heard others who don't like the look as well...different strokes for different folks. :cool:

If they do work, it's too bad the Minis need these to be accurate. I shoot my stock Minis and accept them for what they are. I am not a fan of add ons for the cool factor.
only the pre 580 series mini 14 NEEDS the struts imo. 580 and after you are only squeezing a bit extra out of them with a strut and controlling barrel heat up. even on the newer 580+ series, there are benefits of a strut, but they are not "needed." consider a comparable modification to be a trigger job. needed? no. but it can sure help.

and personally, i think "add ons" are one of the best parts of firearms ownership. its your way to customize your gun to your specific look and feel. the first thing i do with half my guns and begin to think what i can do to make it my own through subtle changes. (but i do agree that some guns are meant to be left alone and remain simple to be their best). :)

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think any of the stabilizers look cool. If they do work, it's too bad the Minis need these to be accurate. I shoot my stock Minis and accept them for what they are. I am not a fan of add ons for the cool factor.
I hear ya! :)

I am partily joking about it being cool. I think the shorter struts look nicer (to me). I am really just asking if they accomplish the same job and if I can get the more appealing version.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am partially joking about it being cool. I think the shorter struts look nicer (to me). I am really just asking if they accomplish the same job and if I can get the more appealing version.
The Mo-Rod comes in three different lengths, and has the the most secure mounting system, bar none... ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts