Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, new to forum and first post.. I have a mini 14 model 5846 that came with the ATI strike force stock. I'm not sure I like this stock and thinking about switching to a hogue overmolded regular ranch rifle looking stock.
Now my question, after getting the new hogue stock, is there anything else I will need to get? fore arm liner ? new heat shield? Thanks in advance..!

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
Welcome aboard from Central Virginia!

Ditto what Kame said, except I would describe the Choate hand guard as "inexpensive" rather than "cheap". They're very sweet.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Welcome aboard from Central Virginia!

Ditto what Kame said, except I would describe the Choate hand guard as "inexpensive" rather than "cheap". They're very sweet.
Forgive me, that is what I meant. It is 04:00 a.m. here and the chickens got me up. ;)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Good for you for wanting to ditch the ATI stock. The Hogue has a nice grippy feel to it, almost too grippy, as it tends to snag your shirt as you bring the rifle up. And the Hogue is noticeably heavier than the Ruger synthetic stock. I sold my Hogue and replaced it with a Ruger synthetic or I could weigh the two ( and a wood stock) to show the difference.
If you are a really big guy, the Hogue might feel better, as it is a bit fatter to grab.
I am 6 foot and 210 pounds, and I really like how the Ruger synthetic feels trim and slim. I did not like the black color, so I painted the Ruger stock grey.
+1 on the Choate handguard, way better than the Ruger factory hand guard.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Since you need a handguard, check out Ultimak and Amega handguard. Theyre more expensive, but it's another option worth knowing about. :)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Since you need a handguard, check out Ultimak and Amega handguard. Theyre more expensive, but it's another option worth knowing about. :)
Agree with that. Most people don't care to put out $140 for a handguard, but besides being a great place to mount a scope or red dot, they help stiffen the barrel and also diffuse heat, just like a strut.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The factory Ruger Syn Stock in my opinion is the best way to go. Now I have the Hogue and I have a Factory wood , The Syn is the lightest and I get the best fit with shimming the receiver with the Syn. The Syn can be had at Midway for 59.99 and a Choate handguard from 13.00--15.00. I like the looks of my other stocks but whan you figure weight , fit , comfort , price and overall durability the Ruger Factory Syn is bullet proof.

Now on to the Choate handguard, very well made, great price , great ventilation , appearance is that of the M1A/M14 which gives the gun a slim look . All in all a better looking carbine with better air flow across the barrel.

The Ultimak and Amega handguards, although pricey they give you way more options for mounting optics and lights as well as stiffening the barrel and the look is right in line with the the stock. Slim and trim.

While the ATI strikeforce is a nice stock , if I was going to put that style of stock on my Mini it would be a Sage EBR but, those are over 500.00 buks and for that kinda money , I'll buy another Mini.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks again guys for the info!, Does those hand guards come with screws or any hardware needed to install. or does my ati hand guard stuff transfer over? Also I heard about a forearm liner, does mine already have that? I'm sorry I seem stupid , I've not had time to break it down yet, thanks again!
Also which hand guard allows for easiest/unblocked view of manual sights ...?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've got a redfield counterstrike I may use on this mini with a Hougue over- molded . any experience / or opinions on counterstrike? Ended up buying a hogue fall timber camo stock..

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
thanks again guys for the info!, Does those hand guards come with screws or any hardware needed to install. or does my ati hand guard stuff transfer over? Also I heard about a forearm liner, does mine already have that? I'm sorry I seem stupid , I've not had time to break it down yet, thanks again!
Also which hand guard allows for easiest/unblocked view of manual sights ...?
Molto, don't feel stupid! We all have to start somewhere. I was in your shoes just a year ago.

I have an ATI stock pretty much like the one you got, only in dark earth color. I also have a factory wooden stock and a very old Choate folding stock they no longer make.

There are three key ingredients to a stock, other than the stock itself: the liner, the stock reinforcements, and the butt plate. Your ATI, since it was molded for the Mini, doesn't require the stock reinforcements and, of course, it comes with the liner and butt plate.

I don't have a Hogue overmolded stock, but I understand they pretty much come complete - a simple matter of pulling the receiver/barrel assembly and the trigger housing of your Mini from your ATI stock and putting into the Hogue stock, That is how it worked for my Ruger factory wood stock. The only additional thing you will need is a hand guard, and most folks agree the Choate hand guard is the best looking and provides the greatest ventilation - unless you go for an Ultimak or Amega ($$$, but depending on your desires and intended use, worth it).

The Choate hand guard does not require any screws - it clips on, much the same as an original factory Ruger hand guard would. Nothing you need to add.

If you go for an UltiMak or Amega scout rail (which replaces the hand guard), they come complete with all the hardware necessary to do that. But you'll need to remove the gas block, which requires a 9/64" allen wrench.

The ATI hand guard only works with the ATI stock, and the ATI stock will not work with a Choate (or any other) hand guard without some Dremelling, which you probably don't want to do.

There is nothing you need to transfer over from the ATI stock.

These pics are an evolution of what I went through with my 1978-vintage Mini. It came with an after-market Choate folding stock and Ruger hand guard (top right), last year I wanted an "upgrade" to the ATI stock (I really wanted an adjustable length-of-pull stock and pistol grip, which it had) (bottom right), and then sanity prevailed and I got a Ruger factory wooden stock (with a Choate hand guard) to get it much more "traditional" (left). As others have said, the Hogue is a nice stock but a bit "grippy" and perhaps a little heavier than the synthetic stock from Ruger. It is up to you what is more important - weight or grip. If you're a traditionalist, then the factory wooden stock (available usually at MidWay) is the way to go, and it comes with all the "hardware" necessary, except the hand guard. I switch between all three of my stocks depending on my mood, but far prefer the traditional wooden stock now.

Whichever route you follow, enjoy your Mini! We're here to help guide you to Mini bliss!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
To the OP my Mini-14 188 series I took the original wood stock off. I ventured into Hogue stocks & eventually went with the Ruger Factory composite stock. I'm glad I did the fit & feel of the Factory Composite stock is very nice especially in the pistol grip area. Plus weight was a factor with me might not be with you. I do like the options with the Hogue stocks with the different colors etc. Something that you cannot do with the Ruger Composite stocks. I did notice a difference in felt weight when I had a scope mounted on my rifle. My factory hand guard fit just fine with either the wood or composite stock. Why not just get a Ruger Factory hand guard?? No matter the hand guards mentioned also look very nice. But yes get the necessary metal liners to make this work. When I was in the process from wood to composite I called Ruger they actually sent me some metal liners needed to complete my transformation wood stock to composite. There are advantages to the Factory Composite over the Hogue over mold in one factor the grippy feeling and possible catching of the Hogue stock. But not enough to stop from buying one. Good Luck with your project, gotta luv the Ruger Mini-14!!!:D;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts