Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a suppressor on the mini-14? If so does it have the gas problem the M-14 has.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not sure about the mini-14, but I needed to utilize a Schuster adjustable gas plug on my M1A to run suppressed.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about the mini-14, but I needed to utilize a Schuster adjustable gas plug on my M1A to run suppressed.

I also have a M1A (SOCOM) which I would like to put a can on. Is that all you had to do was the adjustable gas plug?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, apart from the appropriate suppressor mount, all I needed was the gas plug to compensate for the added back pressure.

Only downside to using the adjustable gas plug is that you don't have a suppressed or non-suppressed setting. You have to tune it for use strictly with a suppressor, without, or somewhere in the middle. I set mine to somewhere in the middle where it would cycle fine (almost to the point of short stroking) with the can off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, apart from the appropriate suppressor mount, all I needed was the gas plug to compensate for the added back pressure.

Only downside to using the adjustable gas plug is that you don't have a suppressed or non-suppressed setting. You have to tune it for use strictly with a suppressor, without, or somewhere in the middle. I set mine to somewhere in the middle where it would cycle fine (almost to the point of short stroking) with the can off.

Good info. Think I will be ordering one. As far as my mini-14 guess I'll mount a can on it and see what happens! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,236 Posts
Sorry if I am late to the party. I had to dig up the email I got from Ruger a few years ago when I inquired about using my Rugged Surge suppressor on my mini 30. Here was Ruger’s reply

“Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10275839

We haven't done any testing with the Mini-14 or Mini-30 with 30 caliber sound suppressors "can". While it is possible to put a sound suppressor on our Mini-14 or Mini-30, they don't have the larger barrel diameter and shoulder like the 300 blackout version. Therefor if you choose to put a "can" on your rifle, there should be extreme care taken to ensure the "can's" bore truly lines up with the axis of the barrel bore to prevent a fired bullet from hitting baffles inside the "can" and destroying it.

Ruger Customer Service”

So, based on this, make sure you get an alignment rod for your suppressor. As for overgassed and back pressure, you are kind of on your own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply, brnwims. Good info. Think I might still try one. If it does not work good I can always put it on my 5.56 rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts