Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey -

I was wondering if anyone has experience shooting the Mini 14 Target model with the black Hogue overloaded stock. If so, how accurate is this model and how easy is it to mount optics?

JC

·
Banned
513 Posts
I dont own a target mini, but I did build one, and it is a tack driver. My Mini is pretty much the same thing with out a barrel tuner. I have read other reviews here about the target mini and I haven't seen anything bad about them. Mounting a scope on it is a cinch, Ruger supplies scope rings and 2 mags with the rifle. If you want to shoot bullets holes inside bullet holes and have the ability to tune in any load, then this is the rifle for you.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
I dont own a target mini, but I did build one, and it is a tack driver. My Mini is pretty much the same thing with out a barrel tuner. I have read other reviews here about the target mini and I haven't seen anything bad about them. Mounting a scope on it is a cinch, Ruger supplies scope rings and 2 mags with the rifle. If you want to shoot bullets holes inside bullet holes and have the ability to tune in any load, then this is the rifle for you.
I am with kb, i have the factory mini 14 target with the laminated stock, circa 2007, or 2008. It is very well balanced. I worked up a reload with the 40 grain vmax and h335 powder and it shoots sub moa at 100 and 200. It easily will match or one up my custom built ar15's at the same range. The rifle is chambered in .223 not 5.56. Only downside is that you must keep an eye on the barrel weight to make sure it stays tight, jt has 4 set screws. The manual says to check it every 100 rounds. You will know if it gets loose because you will have a point of impact shift. I really love mine, by far the most accurate I own, or have shot compared to my standard mini's. I mounted a nikon prostaff bdc on mine believe its a 4x12x40, with factory rings, its a great match up. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info - one more question - what is the barrel tuner and how does it function? Thanks, JC

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
Thanks for the info - one more question - what is the barrel tuner and how does it function? Thanks, JC
Its designed to be adjusted forward or backward via a thread on the barrel to be able to tune it to the round your using, or dial it in. It changes the harmonics of the barrel, when the barrel is flexing during firing. I believe that is the best way to describe it. ;) it does work well. You just have to fire your round of choice, then tune the weight / rifle to, that round.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
Similar to the BOSS that browning offers
Kinda except the ruger does not have holes like the boss. The boss is tuneable, but also reduces recoil, the ruger does not. I own a winchester 70 in 7mm rem mag with an adjustable boss.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Had anyone removed the tuner and worked up a load to see how it shoots without the extra weight on the muzzle? I'm just curious if getting rid of the tuner might lighten it up enough to make a less heavy carry rifle for varmints/predators.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
Had anyone removed the tuner and worked up a load to see how it shoots without the extra weight on the muzzle? I'm just curious if getting rid of the tuner might lighten it up enough to make a less heavy carry rifle for varmints/predators.
I have never fired mine without the tuner, but that does bring up an interesting idea. Mine is strictly a bench gun for precision hole, punching, but removing the barrel stabilizer really wouldn't cut that much weight. On the laminated version like mine the rifle balances very well, the hogue version seems muzzle heavy to me. I am not sure how removal of the stabilizer would effect accuracy, could be positive or negative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts