Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What parts would I require to convert a Mini 30 to fire 5.56 mm? My problem is that I can buy a Mini 30, but can not find a Mini 14 for sale. Thanks William M!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Keep looking for a 14, but the mini 30 is a more versatile caliber. Buy an AR if you want 5.56, that is what I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have an AR 15, but Binen/Harris want to ban AR's and if the Democrats win the majority in the US Senate that is a real possibility. If I have a 5.56 Ruger Mini I can use my 5.56 ammo.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The mini design is not conducive to a caliber switch like an AR is, with multiple uppers etc. It might be done, but my money says keep looking for a mini 14. I bought my mini 30 for the same reason in the Clinton years.Then bought the stock. But the old stock has been retained.
Gun Line Trigger Air gun Beige

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I called and checked the online gun websites, none of them have a Mini 14 in stock.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You will need a new barrel, bolt and magazines, and a larger gas bushing for starters.
The magwell on a Mini-30 stock will be too wide at the back for a Mini-14 magazine.

So about the only thing you'd be able to use off the Mini-30 would be the action and op-rod.
You will have a very expensive Mini when you are done.

If all you can find is a Mini-30, buy it, shoot it, and enjoy the heck out of it.
When I bought my first Mini-30, my Mini-14 gathered dust, I finally sold the 14 and don't miss it one bit.
Mini-30s are awesome !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I have an AR 15, but Binen/Harris want to ban AR's and if the Democrats win the majority in the US Senate that is a real possibility. If I have a 5.56 Ruger Mini I can use my 5.56 ammo.
If you are concerned, buy a Ruger bolt action gun in 5.56. If they get your AR, they will get your Mini.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try posting on your local gun/outdoors forums. I'm sure that you can find someone locally who wants to trade you a Mini 14 for your Mini 30. If you're in GA, I might be interested.

·
One Star
10,502 Posts
I went Ruger AR 556 & Ruger Mini 30,I couldn't find a Mini 14.

·
Super Moderator
4,912 Posts
There are a bunch of new mini 14’s for sale on gunbroker. Just get one there and you will be a lot better off.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
If you are concerned, buy a Ruger bolt action gun in 5.56. If they get your AR, they will get your Mini.
Did you pay attention to the last 2 assault gun bans?

The mini lacked the offending number of attributes and was not banned either time. That is the main reason I bought mine back in the 80"s. It wasn't banned.

·
Banned
348 Posts
I found a mini 14 about a month back at Big R. They just wanted full MSRP. I would check on some places like that.

I'm waiting for a new Deerfield if bans hit.

I would also love to have a Mini 30 handi too more than I would a mini 14 since I would be able to hunt with it in my area.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
348 Posts
The mini design is not conducive to a caliber switch like an AR is, with multiple uppers etc. It might be done, but my money says keep looking for a mini 14. I bought my mini 30 for the same reason in the Clinton years.Then bought the stock. But the old stock has been retained.
View attachment 149133
Sweet hardware!...looks too fancy for me.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I found a mini 14 about a month back at Big R. They just wanted full MSRP. I would check on some places like that.

I'm waiting for a new Deerfield if bans hit.

I would also love to have a Mini 30 handi too more than I would a mini 14 since I would be able to hunt with it in my area.

That is why I bought a Mini 30 in the first place. I had a preban Colt HBAR already and wanted a utility gun that was NOT on the evil gun list. Having a 5.56 already and a bunch of 7.62x39 ammo left from previous affairs with AKs, I thought why not. So glad I did. The 30 shoots better than most early 14's and makes a fine short range deer blaster. I use my M77 for bucks and long range but my mini is great for does in close.

My mini was left pretty much stock til the ATM stock became available, I bought one of the first ones. Along the way I bought a half dozen Ruger 20 clipizines to go with the flush mounted 5 rounders I use for hunting. I can get around 1.5 moa out of my mini, discounting the occasional flier.

They will throw 3 guns in the hole with me when I'm dead. My M77 30-06, my Red Label, and my mini 30 (all of the stainless variety). All 3 stay on the front row of the safe and get used extensively every hunting season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts