Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took out the mini-30 today and broke in a new 5 round mag. The 20 round mag is nice but gets in the way of a rifle mount for sighting and a bit obtrusive while hunting. We had a little trouble at first, I think the mag got mashed a little during shipping somewhere down the line. Got it sorted out and it's fine now.

We normally shoot WPA hollow point. Today I had some Silver Bear soft point ammo. It performed well, seemed a little hotter and it generated less smoke that the WPA. It cost about $180 for 500 rounds vs. $199 for 1000 rounds of the WPA.

My son admits it is not his favorite rifle... but he is a vintage rifle guy, hard to complete with the Mosin Nagant, Lee Enfield etc...

Here is today's video...
Mini-30 -2 - YouTube

If you're interested we also shot the Beretta Mini-Cougar 8040F today. You can jump to our channel from the video above to see it.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I use a Ruger 10 round mag as a good compromise for field and bench (porch-rail) shooting. I will admit I prefer my CZ 527 in 7.62x39mm over the Mini-30 for any shooting that allows bolt-action speed over the semi-auto Ruger. But there are times when getting that second (and others) round 'downrange' is important too.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Thanks for the video. You did a great job on it. It certainly looks like you and your son had s great time at a very nice place to shoot. I wish I had family around to go shooting with them.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Any mag over 10 rounds gets tough to bench rest the rifle. Ruger doesn't make 10 rounders, so I bought ten rounders for my Mini 14 and Mini 30 from Promag. The mag for the 14 works fine, but the mag for the 30 wouldn't fit in the rifle. I sent it back and got the 20 rd factory Ruger mag for the Mini 30. that one works perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts