Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far the older (189 series) M-30 I bought a couple months ago has had a trigger polish, smaller ( .060") gas bushing to replace the factory .100" one, split down Wilson buffers fore and aft, replaced the old short birch stock with a synthetic one, replaced the fat blade front sight with a new winged one, and put on an Ultimak railed hand guard with a Burris FastFire III with the Picatinny Protector base for it. I shot it yesterday at my 200 yard target, it was shooting low and right at that distance, but I was pleased with the group, 1 1/2"-1 3/4".

That was fired with my hand load of a Hornady 123 grain .311 diameter SST over A2015 powder in PPU brass. It groups sub inch ( scoped at 100 yards) out of my blue/wood stock Mini-30. I did not work up a different load for the stainless M-30 as it seemed to shoot fine with the load I first tested in the blued one.
The FMJ does almost as good, slightly more than 1 MOA.
I was back at the range today to test some loads for the GSR, and shot the Mini again, this time with the FMJ ammo. It still needs to go more left and up, but accuracy with the FMJ load is still decent for it's purpose, plinking.

A neighbor lady wanted to go shoot with me, she had fun with the Mini, light weight, mild recoil, what's not to like ?

I really like how the Fastfire is out away from the action, and is well protected with the new mount. The Fastfire III is a great little sight, tiny, weighs less than an ounce, great battery life, rugged, easy to see dot with several manual brightness settings and an auto brightness setting if desired.

On the way back home, I didn't see a 2 foot rattlesnake laying on the side of the road and the edge of my tire ran over his middle section and blew out some intestine. I happened to look back in my mirror after I went by and saw the movement, and put him out of misery with a shot from my Rock Island 1911 in .22 TCM. I didn't quite decapitate him with the shot, so finished it up with the knife.

Next for the stainless Mini-30 is an Accustrut Socom and Tech rear sight like my blued M-30 has,, thread the muzzle to 5/8"x24 TPI, and a side mounted sling.

·
Registered
488 Posts
nice work on that dead snake...er, i mean what a shame! :eek:

so is this another mini 30? looks like a clean, effective set up imo. that ultimak looks to be the lowest of the scout mounts for the mini.

any thought about painting the stock?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
You really dress up those Minis well. I'm impressed with the groups you're getting. Do you thread the muzzle yourself or have a smith do that?

What a shame the snake had to depart you... ;)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My neighbor said she would keep the skin and rattles and wanted to cook up the meat. Nothing goes to waste! Except maybe the bones, i don't know what use there would be for those.
Yes hawkguy, I do want to paint the stock. I love the Ruger synthetic stock, it is noticeably lighter than my wood stock M-30, is slimmer and the checkering for your hands is nice. I'm just not into black stocks ( or black guns).
Later this week a blasting cabinet I ordered form Harbor Freight will be in. My buddy has been saying he would make one out of a big plastic drum, but he's been saying that for 6 months. I figured I'd plunk down $200 and get one all ready to go. Also have some Cerakote on it's way.
The stainless on this Mini is a bit bright, so I'll Cerakote the metal parts and mags in a medium grey and, after blasting, do the stock in a darker grey.
I will thread the muzzle myself, still have to get a 5/8-24 TPI die and handle, and the alignment rod to start it off centered.
My blued Mini-30 will stay like it is, but at a later date I might also put a FastFire II on it as well. I hate to get rid of the wood handguard it has for an Ultimak, but could Cerakote the Ultimak in a brown color.

·
Registered
488 Posts
just my opinion, but I think that wood stocked mini 30 is perfection as it sits. I love the entire look of that gun. I would keep it classic (as is) for the variety in a set up. it could be your "open sight" go to gun.

I am seeing your new mini 30 in something like a coyote tan w/ that OD sling. something earth tone could be pretty cool imo. grey could look good also. of course, I even think it looks good as is. and I do also like like the stainless, normally the mini 14 is a matte/dull stainless...both of mine are not shiny at all. hard to tell from your pics.

did you change the front sight yourself? was it a pain?

My neighbor said she would keep the skin and rattles and wanted to cook up the meat. Nothing goes to waste! Except maybe the bones, i don't know what use there would be for those.
Yes hawkguy, I do want to paint the stock. I love the Ruger synthetic stock, it is noticeably lighter than my wood stock M-30, is slimmer and the checkering for your hands is nice. I'm just not into black stocks ( or black guns).
Later this week a blasting cabinet I ordered form Harbor Freight will be in. My buddy has been saying he would make one out of a big plastic drum, but he's been saying that for 6 months. I figured I'd plunk down $200 and get one all ready to go. Also have some Cerakote on it's way.
The stainless on this Mini is a bit bright, so I'll Cerakote the metal parts and mags in a medium grey and, after blasting, do the stock in a darker grey.
I will thread the muzzle myself, still have to get a 5/8-24 TPI die and handle, and the alignment rod to start it off centered.
My blued Mini-30 will stay like it is, but at a later date I might also put a FastFire II on it as well. I hate to get rid of the wood handguard it has for an Ultimak, but could Cerakote the Ultimak in a brown color.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the tan green two tone blends in to a wide variety of terrain, but I don't want all my guns like that, as my Min-14 has that color theme, and my green stocked Remington M700 and 870 Tactical 12 ga. will be tan soon as well, also my Rock Island 1911. I don't want to overdo the green/tan thing, so that's why I was thinking the two shades of grey.

·
Registered
488 Posts
makes sense. I expect the grey will look awesome with the stainless, if you keep the stainless that is.

I think the tan green two tone blends in to a wide variety of terrain, but I don't want all my guns like that, as my Min-14 has that color theme, and my green stocked Remington M700 and 870 Tactical 12 ga. will be tan soon as well, also my Rock Island 1911. I don't want to overdo the green/tan thing, so that's why I was thinking the two shades of grey.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kwg, I got it from Lee Hadaway of Colorado, who sort of took over the reins from Gundoc when he retired. I told him I needed one for a .625' barrel, and he sent one for a .560" barrel. It took me a good 3 hours of Dremel work to open it up.

·
Registered
613 Posts
kwg, I got it from Lee Hadaway of Colorado, who sort of took over the reins from Gundoc when he retired. I told him I needed one for a .625' barrel, and he sent one for a .560" barrel. It took me a good 3 hours of Dremel work to open it up.
I want a .625 as well but I don't want to spend 3 hours with a dremel tool.

kwg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts