Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount a Weaver K4 , 4X38 scope on my mini 30 ,but don't know what rings I need . I want to use Ruger rings that fit the factory mounting on the rifle keeping the scope as low as possible without interfering with ejection of spent casings. Thanks for helping .

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Do you have the rings that came with your rifle ? I'd try those before thinking about getting lower ones. You shouldn't have any problem.
But if your rings are unused, Ruger would probably trade you for lower ones.
Mounting a scope over the receiver doesn't make for the lowest option, due to having to clear the rear sight, get the bolt out for cleaning, and have some room for ejecting brass. But using the Ruger rings is the cheapest and easiest method.

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
Hi there, tjh, and welcome to the best Ruger forum on the web!! If you are even a remedial searcher you can find about anything that has to do with Ruger firearms and accessories by using the onboard Search function! Anyway, welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome , ..... I bought the rifle used from a guy .it had a crappy cheap folding stock . I changed it out to a laminit wood stock , No rings came with it . its an older mini 30 . .. Not much good on a computer ,... Do you think a standard high ring would work ok ???

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I want to mount a Weaver K4 , 4X38 scope on my mini 30 ,but don't know what rings I need . I want to use Ruger rings that fit the factory mounting on the rifle keeping the scope as low as possible without interfering with ejection of spent casings. Thanks for helping .
The Mini-30 would have shipped originally with high rings (Ruger part number 5B for blued or 5KHM for stainless), which enable mounting of optics with up to 52mm front objectives. Medium rings (4B and 4KHM) allow up to 42mm front objectives.

The Weaver K4 4x38mm is specified to have a 46mm front objective, dictating that it's too large diameter for medium rings, and will require High rings.

So you should need High rings, 5B for blued or 5KHM for stainless. You'll have a few millimeters of excessive clearance, but that won't hurt anything. Unlike most Ruger models that use two different ring heights, the Mini-30 uses two rings of the same height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts