Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a Mini 30, tactical, with the original bird cage flash hider. I have to change it out to a muzzle brake or compensator to be legal in Maryland (since I have an ATI folding stock). Any recommendations?

I called Ruger and they said that the Mni 30 uses a 1/2 x 28 threads, and an AR 15 brake/comp would work. But it doesn't make sense. The 7.62x39 is larger I thought and wouldn't clear properly. Thoughts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
If Iam not mistaken, the Mini30 barrel is a 5/8 x 24 thread for the stock flashider .

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yes, 5/8x24 TPI is correct for the Mini-30, whomever you talked to at Ruger should get their story straight. I threaded my Mini -30 to 5/8" x 24 and installed the stock Ruger bird cage flash hider that Misfire gave me. The Mini-14 is 1/2" x 28 TPI.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
PWS makes excellent brakes which will virtually eliminate muzzle rise.

The FSC30 and PRC are two good options. And not as expensive as some other brands.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
PWS makes excellent brakes which will virtually eliminate muzzle rise.

The FSC30 and PRC are two good options. And not as expensive as some other brands.
Seconded. They also don't blow back at you as much as some others.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When I was shopping for a muzzle brake for my AR-10, the PWS was the first one recommended by several guys. I will be looking to replace the Ruger birdcage flash hider on my Mini-30 and GSR before long, and will get the PWS.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just put the Shrewd varmint brake on mine. I bought the brake last year and just got around to putting it on. The Shrewds are gunsmith brakes , they have to be turned down and the end needs to be sized. I went 40 thous. over I would have liked to have gone 15 0r 20 . If we would have threaded the barrel then we could have , but seeings as how it was factory we opened it up a bit to be safe. The tighter the exit hole the better the brake works. This thing is awesome the muzzle hardly rise's at all , getting back on target for a follow up shot is quick, kinda like an AR. The brakes come from Brownells and need to be fit, the only reason I went this direction was because my gunsmith builds alot of long range weapons and he assured me that it would be the way to go. Now a varmint brake has the top and bottom closed so when your prone position the brake will not blow dust and dirt upward. A regular muzzel brake has the ports 365 degrees . Iam very happy with this set up and my Mini14 Tactical handles so much better. The Shrewd Varmint Brake in Chrome Moly is the one I used , they come in SS also. I had my Smith turn it down to the same size as the factory flashider.

Attachments

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
On my 1998 mini 30 I machined my own flashider since none fit the m14 pattern closely, which is what I felt it needed, so I machined mine on a lathe, 416 stainless, and happy with it, unique. But another good choice in 5/8×24 is the compensator, very inexpensive and works very well, I have one on my 6.5 grendel, 6.8spc and one on a 5.56 ar. It does a good job at keeping the muzzle centered when rapid firing.

This my pereonally machined mini 30 hider..

Here is the stainless comp I used on my 6.5, 6.8, and 5.56

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Competition-Muzzle-Device/dp/B00GBHQ7GC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1449754840&sr=1-1&keywords=grg+stainless

·
Registered
370 Posts
Tacky, thats still my favorite flashider for the Minis. You did a great job on that one...

·
"The Real Deal"
7,069 Posts
Tacky, thats still my favorite flashider for the Minis. You did a great job on that one...
Thanks, I could not find one for the mini 30 like that, so I machined my own using m1a's factory hider, its very close, except the barrel nut the m1a has. Being its pedigree, I felt it needed a suitable business end like its father.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts