Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the mini-30 has a bore dia. of .308. Can it safely shoot the eastern bloc stuff marked 7.62x39?? I think most of it is .310. 'Mo

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i had a mini 30 back in the 90's and it fired surplus with no problem. Accuracy however with it or .308 handloads was poor. Perhaps a call to ruger will help to give a definate answer to your question.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't have any problems with it. I primarily shoot Lapua and S&B brass cased 7.62x39 through mine but I do have some steel cased Wolf that it happily digests as well and is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What am I doing wrong, my mini 30 will not feed anything but factory brass ammo. I bought new mags and the same thing.

Richard

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm seriously considering a Mini-30 as a deer rifle for my wife. I used to own one that was not real accurate or reliable. I sold it and apparently it was no better for the guy who bought it. I'm hearing better things about the new ones..

I'm also thinking about the new Remington semi-auto in 308 or a BAR in 308 for her. Most of the deer hunting here in the Ozarks is inside of 50 yards so the Mini-30 should be more than enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mini 30 bore diameter is .310. When the 30's first came out they they had a taper bore that started .310 in front of the chamber and squeezed down to .308. Reason was all of the surplus ammo would tear up the guns due to pressure. They long ago switched to a 310 and shoot that diameter great as they were designed for it. "Gets nice 1" groups at 200yds". Ha HA is that a one shot group? Should measure .310 if youre using wolf jjfunk. Or .155 to center. Sorry first post and already calling BS on that one.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
jjfunk

is your mini 30 one of the newer series?
any reccomendations as far as good solid 10rd (+) mags now-a-days for the mini 30?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! .5 MOA 5 shot groups out of a Mini 30 at 200 yards. Let me guess open sights? Gotta go jesus is at the front door. Thats jesus for those of you that are bilingual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts