Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at the range I shot ten rounds of 40 grain Golden Bullets out of my 10/22. The next magazine I had was loaded with 40 grain Mini-mags. There was a noticeable difference between the two kinds of ammo. The Mini-mags made a sharper report, more of a crack, and made a noticeably louder ping when they hit the steel targets.

I thought this was quite strange. Again, both were 40 grain projectiles, and both have advertised muzzle velocity of slightly more than 1200 fps.

I had more of both kinds of ammo, and follow up shots continued to confirm what I was experiencing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome to the world of. 22 ammo! With over 2500 rounds through my grandson's 22/45, I have never had a failure to fire (bad primer); however, I have had failures to eject (weak or inconsistent powder charges) and failures to load due to hollow point bullet shapes.
CCI mini-mags are the standard of .22s and I have never had a failure for any reason; this is also true for Aquila super extra rounds. The only problem with this latter ammo is that due to ely priming it is odorifous and smells like a used cat box when fired.
Federal rounds are sometimes inconsistently loaded and may fail to eject. I won't use Remington or Winchester ammo due to faulty construction that may cause failure to load; due to my personal problems with this ammo I won't purchase it in centerfire pistol configuration..
Although I have a large stock of CCI standard loads, the velocity is too low for my pistol and sometimes doesn't provide enough impetus to operate the slide (bolt).
If you can find it, stick with CCI mini-mags. Just my biased opinion.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Today at the range I shot ten rounds of 40 grain Golden Bullets out of my 10/22. The next magazine I had was loaded with 40 grain Mini-mags. There was a noticeable difference between the two kinds of ammo. The Mini-mags made a sharper report, more of a crack, and made a noticeably louder ping when they hit the steel targets.

I thought this was quite strange. Again, both were 40 grain projectiles, and both have advertised muzzle velocity of slightly more than 1200 fps.

I had more of both kinds of ammo, and follow up shots continued to confirm what I was experiencing.
As for me, I have quit using Remington (especially thunderbolts) because it is just such a PITA to clean up after) goldens are much more consistent, but give me CCI (any kind ) any day, they are cleaner burning, more consistent and seem to go bang better. Just came back from a varmint hunt (killing ground squirrels in Oregon) and minimags tore them up!.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I just did a comparison at the range today. Minimags are of course the gold standard, but I was also shooting some 30 year old Winchester Wildcats ($9.50 a brick when I bought them)that I've had in my basement forever. Anyway, nary a bobble with the old Wildcats, and I'd have to say that they are at least as good and probably better than most of the junk you can find today.

All the bullets were tight in the cases, with no oxidation or tarnish, and were obviously better made than today's bulk ammo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree that mini-mags are the standard. I have, however, had great success with Remington Golden in my SR22p, at one time firing about 700 consecutive rounds without a failure of any kind. Winchester, on the other hand, is awful stuff....FTFs, FTEs, duds, etc. Saw some today at Wallyworld for $17.00 for a box of 333 and kept walking.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that mini-mags are the standard. I have, however, had great success with Remington Golden in my SR22p, at one time firing about 700 consecutive rounds without a failure of any kind. Winchester, on the other hand, is awful stuff....FTFs, FTEs, duds, etc. Saw some today at Wallyworld for $17.00 for a box of 333 and kept walking.
I have no complaints at all about Golden Boogers. They've always been very reliable for me. I'm just surprised that they advertise them as having the same velocity as Mini-mags, but they apparently are not as fast.

Meanwhile, my experience with Winchester .22 ammo has been a nightmare. Super-X is over priced and dirty. It's the only ammo that has ever jammed in my 10/22 or my Marlin 60. It doesn't want to feed well in my Henry lever gun. This puzzles me. I have bought and shot numerous boxes of Super-X .30-30, and as far as I'm concerned it's a premium ammo, equal to Remington and Federal. Why they put that name on poor .22 LR is beyond me.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I've shot over 200,000 rounds of Remington Gold Bullet - at least that much of which I've kept track. Just over 50,000rounds of Mini-Mags, and about 22,000 Eley Club's, and a very expensive, albeit smaller volume of Eley Match (blacks).

The Thunderbolt stuff is dirtier than a hog's bedroom.

All 22LR will have ignition issues at a certain percentage, as will all centerfire rifle primers too. No production process is perfect.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I have no complaints at all about Golden Boogers. They've always been very reliable for me. I'm just surprised that they advertise them as having the same velocity as Mini-mags, but they apparently are not as fast.

Meanwhile, my experience with Winchester .22 ammo has been a nightmare. Super-X is over priced and dirty. It's the only ammo that has ever jammed in my 10/22 or my Marlin 60. It doesn't want to feed well in my Henry lever gun. This puzzles me. I have bought and shot numerous boxes of Super-X .30-30, and as far as I'm concerned it's a premium ammo, equal to Remington and Federal. Why they put that name on poor .22 LR is beyond me.
Super-X .22LR used to be really good ammo (back in the 90s), almost as good as MiniMags. I haven't tried any made in the last few years, so it might just not be as good as it was in "the good old days".

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A guy that shoots at the range I go to has a bunch of old Super-X and he really likes it. It apparently used to be really good stuff.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When it comes to accuracy in my Ruger MKIII Hunter the Mini-Mags are king. Does not matter if it is HP or solid. The Second most accurate are Remington Goldens. The bulk hollow points are accurate and function perfect in my pistol; and cheaper. :) The Remi solids in the 50 round box or 100 round plastic box are almost on par with the CCI Mini-Mags in my MKIII and cost about the same. And this is strange but the Remi solids are the most accurate of any 22 LR in my Remington 597 rifle. :confused:
Winchester bulk is great practice ammo. Why; you ask? Well it will always have fail-to-fire and I can see if my trigger pull is moving the gun off target. It is as good as snap caps. :D
That said WW bulk, Wildcats and Federal AutoMatch are not accurate in my automatic pistols. Federal Champions are better and American Eagle are good. With all that said, I enjoy shooting whatever I can get to plink with. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
CCI Mini-Mags are the "gold standard" of .22 long rifle ammo, at least in my opinion. But I still have 6 or 7 bricks of pre-Obama Winchester Super X Power Point 40 gr hollow points that work extremely well and rival the Mini-Mags in performance. Don't know how the current Winchester rimfire ammo stacks up, since I only buy CCI now whenever I find it at an acceptable price. I have picked up some Federal Auto Match, and while it is okay, it isn't anywhere near as good as the CCI stuff.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
CCI, Federal, Aguila, and Eley. Absolutely no Remington or Winchester junk.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I agree with many others CCI Mini Mag is the standard. I try to keep those in stock and use when I can. I had some issues with golden bullet in a M&P 15-22 so after those were gone I have not gone back.

If you can find Mini Mags at the price you are willing to pay and shoot, I would suggest you stay with them, I have had no issues in Ruger 10/22. 22/45 Lite, Buckmark and S&M M&P. Mini Mag is my choice.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I've fired several thousand rounds of the Remington Golden bullests (40 gr) wil very few issues. I agree that the MiniMags are better but they usually cost more.

I bought a brick of the Winchester Super X that came in a wooden box. It was a special commemorative edition thru Cabelas.

(I use the wooden box for my empty cases of the different caliber rounds that I've fired over the past 50 years. the box is nice enough I can keep it in the family room rather than out in the garage.)

I will never buy any of the Super X again...there were times when 5 of 10 rounds would not fire thru my Ruger SR22 or my neighbors Ruger Mark 4 (or whatever it is) pistol. Load a mag of other stuff and both pistols worked OK.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
I love the Remington Golden bags. There was much discussion on these other forums. I used them a lot in my Bersa which requires a hv round. I have seen reports on certain guns where they actually perform better. I had a shell casing explode and others did as well, and then Remington acknowledged the issue and launched the "NEW" Remington Goldens. Regardless of which one is actually better, there is a give and take to all things and the cost of the Rems has always out performed the Mini.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the Remington Golden bags. There was much discussion on these other forums. I used them a lot in my Bersa which requires a hv round. I have seen reports on certain guns where they actually perform better. I had a shell casing explode and others did as well, and then Remington acknowledged the issue and launched the "NEW" Remington Goldens. Regardless of which one is actually better, there is a give and take to all things and the cost of the Rems has always out performed the Mini.
Well...? I'm not so sure about that. Cabela's frequently sells boxes of 100 Golden Boogers for $9.99. Mini-mags at Cabela's tend to be $7.99 or $8.99 per 100.

As for bulk ammo, there it gets murkier, because Mini-mags in bulk are not as common. Golden Boogers in 525 round boxes and even the 1600 round buckets 'o bullets, or whatever they call them, are common and priced attractively. CCI, meanwhile, sells the 325 (?) round Troy Landry Swamp People, and the CCI Tactical boxes, but 500 round boxes of Mini-mags are not very common.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
My results are different than yours

I just finished running a bucket of the New Goldens thru my SR22P and my M&P15-22. I had a few....maybe 20 failures. I can't ever remember a failure with a MiniMag.

On the other hand, I will continue to but the Goldens cuz they are better than many of the other oprions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Remington Goldens will sometimes not load into my single six. Yesterday and today I let some folks use some CCI and Federals because their automatics would not feed the Remington 22s. I will not buy Remington 22s.

·
Super Moderator
16,278 Posts
For plinking the golden bullets (as well as the bulk packs of Winchester & Federal) generally work fine in all my .22 pistols. Being a bit more dirty is really of no concern as all of my guns get cleaned when they return from the range. When I'm concerned about group size, I will generally shoot CCI minimags or Eley Target (bought 2,000 rounds of Eley back in '06 when it was cheap by today's standards and still have about half of it sitting on the shelf.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts