Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of posts about the different sizes of gas bushings for the mini, a thought came to mind, among all these bushing changes, has anyone had what would be described as gas/fire cutting of the bushing that causes any change in performance? The ruger bushing is .085, the set I ordered has the largest at .050, then .045, .040, .035. For you that have changed them, which is the preferred for overall improvement?

·
Registered
370 Posts
The bushings Ive always used were from Gun doc , hes retired though. Hadaway took over for hum and is making them to his specs ( The Arms Room ) The ASI bushings seem to be a one size fits all, the fit is important. Check out the post above , go there and search for gas port bushings. Theres more info there than I could possibly give you. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sandog, thanks, now that's the kind of info I'm looking for, very informative, I'll know what to look for when my bushings arrive, by the way, ASI now makes two different size bushings depending on model, so maybe they'll be ok, I will be doing a lot of measuring. Will post again later when I get all this done.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have a set from GunDoc, I put the 060 in mine and it throws brass 15'+ at about 2 O'clock ...

When I tear it down at the end of the season for the annual scrubbing, I may throw the 050 in and try it with a variety of ammo just to see what difference it makes

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got the bushing in last week, still havent changed any due to the fact my 3/8 drive hex wrenches are too short, gotta order some from amazon. Did put a 1911 buffer on the rx side of the op rod,shot it this morning with the new Truglo red dot sight, seems to be ok for my type of shooting, only fired 40 rds so will keep an eye on the scope and mounts which are the GgG rail type, More later................

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I've installed both the .045 and the .050 bushing and I think the .045 will stay in the rifle. Tosses brass about 8 feet at two o'clock.

Much better than the 30 feet at two o'clock!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still haven't got the correct length of hex for the gas block, did install the 1911 buffers on both ends of the op rod, also with the GgG mount the top hand guard will not come off but I can work around that I think. Next is to see if the buffers allow full movement of the op rod.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you considered your most likely ammo? For instance I run the .045 because I shoot a mix of .223/5.56. If you're shooting just the 5.56 you may want to go all the way down to the .035 and see how that works. I also use 1 buffer cushion on the op rod end. Very controlled recoil and zero failures with any ammo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I dont think the gun will cycle with a .035 bushing, on the Mini14 the smallest bushing I have herd anyone using is a .040 and the gun has to be well broken in for that to work. I've run the .045s before, now I run the .050 . It throws the brass alittle farther but its dead nutz dependable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the bushing change out is complete, installed a .045, never did use the torque wrench, my ex Marine neighbor said just crank it down and measure the gaps. Gun functions great, throws about 10ft with the 62gr and the 55gr, accuracy seems good for me, ain't no tack driver but it'll do well on armadillos, possums and other assorted critters, the buffers I believe keep the cases from being dented.......So I'm calling this over till something else comes up to make changes on.....To all who replied..Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
365 Posts
Been following your thread as I purchased a new mini a few weeks ago. Had many over the years and sold them. Always missed them once gone. This one I'm hanging on to. I ordered a bushing set from Lee Hadaway Home

I think he was mentioned in one of the links in your thread. Still waiting to get it. I wanted to ask if your ammo was full power factory. I reload and run 25.3 grains of Varget with a 69 gr Sierra HPBT. A bit less than full power. I'm thinking of running the .050 to insure reliability. Trying to get this right the first time. Thanks for your post.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
Bepe, Just a word to the wise .... different guns function differently. A .050" gas bushing may be too tight for one gun, to open for another, and just right for still a different Mini.

Yes, reliability is important but so is wear and tear. My suggestion is to buy the bushing kit and experiment with the ammo you plan to shoot. Select the gas bushing that causes your Mini to fling spent cases about 3~5 feet. This applies the minimum bolt thrust for reliable cycling yet does not beat the rest of the gun to death. If you change ammo, repeat your experiment to find the optimum gas bushing. If you plan to change ammo frequently, it's worth the extra bucks to buy a variable gas bushing ..... good ones have 5 settings. Merely start at the highest and adjust the knob until you get optimum ejection.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Eye-Oh,
Thanks for the advice. I did buy the enhanced bushing set that offers 5 different sized bushings. The Varget load is the only load I shoot with my AR. I have noticed in the past when shooting Factory ammo, in the AR, ejection is more violent than with my Varget load. Though the .045 seems to be the go to bushing, I think it may be a bit small for my reduced load. I'm hoping I can get lucky and be spot on with the .050. The 1x9 twist on the new Mini should work perfect with the heavier Sierra so I'll be using that load exclusively in the Mini also. Testing will tell.
Regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts