Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just an enjoyable afternoon at the 50-yard line, first with the original iron sights, and then with a Steiner fixed 4X IR. Fun!
Same front sand bag rest for both instances. I guess the scope's advantages were two-fold: The 4X magnification and the big shoot-n-see.
Only the second time I've shot this rifle. Next: 100-yards. 馃槑

Registered
Very nice. Looks like you did a respectable job with the irons as well.

Registered
Very nice. Looks like you did a respectable job with the irons as well.
I agree as the stock sights aren't the best. I love my Mini and as I only use irons, I've gone with a better set of sights than the stock ones my 583 Series came with. The TechSight Mini200 rear sight with a target aperture (.042") plus I thinned down the front blade from .077" wide to .050" wide giving me 'NM' sights. With those, some cheap (many free) tweaks to tighten the accuracy, and my handloads I shoot bowling pins at 200yds with mine.

Registered
I agree as the stock sights aren't the best. I love my Mini and as I only use irons, I've gone with a better set of sights than the stock ones my 583 Series came with. The TechSight Mini200 rear sight with a target aperture (.042") plus I thinned down the front blade from .077" wide to .050" wide giving me 'NM' sights. With those, some cheap (many free) tweaks to tighten the accuracy, and my handloads I shoot bowling pins at 200yds with mine.
This is great to hear. I just picked up a new mini and I'm looking forward to longer range shots. Only 50 yards so far.
I've been looking at the TechSight, and possibly glass bedding in the future.

Registered
I get that same accuracy at 50 and 100yards on my mini14. The accuarcy you got at 50 yards probably wont change much. I shoot 100 yards with iron sights alot. Mine are the stock factory ones. Enjoy your rifle.

Righteous Dude
I get that same accuracy at 50 and 100yards on my mini14. The accuarcy you got at 50 yards probably wont change much. I shoot 100 yards with iron sights alot. Mine are the stock factory ones. Enjoy your rifle. View attachment 145042
I particularly like the stainless Minis with wood stocks. They really stand out to me... Makes me think I should put one of mine in a wood stock!

Nice rifle!

Registered
Nice mini, nicely done!

Exalted One
alamo, if you haven't already done so, check the gap between the upper and lower parts of the gas block. It should be even fore-aft and port-starboard. It you have an inch-pound driver, about 28-30 inch-pounds is about the right tightness for the four screws. Tighten in a cross pattern gradually. Inconsistent gaps can affect accuracy. I had to correct on both of my factory-new 583s...

Registered
With whatever COSteve said, "CoachSteveInMemphis" totally agrees. I haven't trimmed-down the front-sight blade on my 300BLK Mini, but I did change out the stock rear iron ring for the TechSights upgrade. (Had already had happy experience with my 10/22TD upgrades ... and they are nice folks at TS.)

For the 300BLK version, that thick/heavy barrel has no real upgrade options, so, I've experimented with some backyard engineering,one of which is illustrated in the pic'. I think these little test-pins on the front of the blade in combo' with the TS rears have been beneficial. Like COSteve, I'm also old-school about irons.

However, I did buy a nice Vortex red-dot last fall, now mounted on the Ultimak rail, on a riser ... so I can still use the irons. However, between no pre-COVID-19, much less post-COVID-19 shooting opportunities, I haven't been able to verify the zero or been able to have some fun at 100yds or more. That said, my arguably better born-to-shoot daughter and I have agreed that it looks pretty good L-R/3-and-9-oclock, but we might need to adjust a bit H-L/12-and-6-oclock.

Anyway, I also added the pic' of the rifle, pre-red-dot, and a pic', with comments, about my first ever 100yd shots, with the Mini; I only started shooting in 2015, at the age of 54.

Now, FWIW, I shot my brother's 243 AR-platform and another fella's 6.5CM RPR at 100yds and, I gotta' say, both were so sweet that I felt like I was cheating. Those pix attached, also.

That said, I did and still do love my Mini, as well as my 10/22TD.

Hope you have fun with your's.

Attachments

Registered
Oh, because "Coach Dad" (I was her Cross Country/Track Coach and she was fast) is proud of her, some examples of my-helped-me-learned-to-shoot daughter, at the firing line ...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts