Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys just bought my first mini 14 looked at ar's and minis and because ive enjoyed owning other ruger firearms i went with the mini. So far after running about 60 rounds thru it I'm starting to get worried! At least 10 to 12 jams using hornady Steel match52gr bthp ammo. This ammo was fired using both the 5 and 20 round factory clips. Sometimes the spent casings would get hung in the bolt and other times it would eject but not feed the next round. This happened with both clips. I'm no gun expert so any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Sorry you are frustrated with your new rifle. Did you take it apart and clean/lube it before going to to the range? If not, you need to try that. Also, try some different types of ammo to see if they run better.

If all else fails, call Ruger. They will fix you up.

Lastly, just a word about terminology. Your Mini-14 actually has magazines, not clips.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
What the others recommended. And you might also try a heavier load. Make sure the ejector is free and clean.

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Plus one on the cleaning prior to shooting.

· Registered
77 Posts
Most of us has been there, new firearm, issues, what to do...

Is it a new out of the box Mini, or used?

If it is new, I bet a cleaning is in order. If it is used a super duper cleaning is in order.

Let us know the model, if new, etc. Watch a youtube video on field stripping and be patient getting the bolt back in there. It took me a few tries and heck it has been a few months now and I probably forgot the proper way to hold the bolt to get it in easily.

· Registered
719 Posts
Hi, I just bought 2-Ruger Mini14's 3 weeks ago too...
Sorry that you having feed problems...
I have shot mine 2 times in the past 3 weeks, running about 150-200 round each time respectively through it then....

I had a 5 round "Ruger" factory magazine that came with the rifle new in the box...
I had bought a new "Ruger" factory 30 round extra magazine and 20 round "Ruger" factory magazine because that was all the extra Ruger factory magazines the store had...
I also bought a 30 round a 20 round "ProMag" magazines from Academy Sports...
I also was gifted 2-used 20 round magazines from a friend...

All the "Ruger" factory magazines worked fine with no hickups running CHEAP .223 Tulammo rounds, as well as some American Eagle, Remington and even 45gr Winchester in 5.56mm NATO...

EVERYONE OF THE non-RUGER MAGAZINES HAD SEVERAL MISS FEEDS/JAMS ! ! !

IF you were using any "aftermarket" magazines, I'D MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING RUGER FACTORY MAGAZINES ONLY IN THE FUTURE is my advice...

FYI= My friend who had gifted me the used magazines owns 3 older Ruger Mini14 and did NOT have that problem with the magazines in his though...
However, (I do not recommend this,BUT->he had gotten some "ProMag" magazines for his that were catching the rim of the casing when being rammed by bolt into the barrel...
He ever so slightly bent the lip open and lightly filed the lip of magazine, and he said THAT solved the problem with a couple of the other "ProMag" magazines that he had and was using...

IF you, like me, have a series #581 or #582 Mini 14, then stick with "Ruger" factory magazines, as in the newer series have been refined with better/tighter tolerances as well as thicker/heavier=tapered barrels as well as other upgrades over the #180 and older series# production Mini 14...

Otherwise, as others have suggested above try a good cleaning & if that does not solve the problem, I then would contact Ruger Customer Service about repairing your Rifle....

By the way, WELCOME to the forum, from the Florida panhandle near Pensacola...
Merry Christmas & GOD bless...

· Registered
219 Posts
I then would contact Ruger Customer Service about repairing your Rifle...
When you call them, and report what you posted here, you're going to get scolded for using steel-cased ammo in your new Mini-14. Ruger advises against it. Try some brass rounds through that rifle...a Mini-14 is known for going bang every time without hiccups, so you should expect better performance than what you've had thus far.

+1 on the clean & lube suggestions...;)

· Banned
163 Posts
Never say never. I am on my third mini-14. The one I have now was made in the 90's and it is the current one. I have never had a fail to fire, or a fail to feed, or a fail to eject, USING RUGER MAGAZINES!!!!!!!! I have experienced some fail to feed with after market mags, but no other abnormalies. Again, anything made by man can and will eventually fail, but I have NEVER had a problem with the 3 mini-14's I have owned.

Reb

P.S. You don't need to clean that thing if it is good, you can pour sand in the action while it is running and it will keep running, just like the M14 that I carried briefly, and the M1 Garands.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok folks I gave it a good cleaning although it looked fine to me! I also picked up 50 rounds of better quality ammo. I didn't get a chance to fire it today but I should tomorrow guess we'll see what happens. The box it came in says its a model 5848 . Its not the one I really wanted but its what was available and after waiting 20 years I figured it was time. My mags(not clips) are factory so you would think everything is good to go!

· Registered
3 Posts
Ok guys just bought my first mini 14 looked at ar's and minis and because ive enjoyed owning other ruger firearms i went with the mini. So far after running about 60 rounds thru it I'm starting to get worried! At least 10 to 12 jams using hornady Steel match52gr bthp ammo. This ammo was fired using both the 5 and 20 round factory clips. Sometimes the spent casings would get hung in the bolt and other times it would eject but not feed the next round. This happened with both clips. I'm no gun expert so any help would be appreciated.
I had the same issue after running about 100 rounds through it. My NCO (he is armour in the Army Im a 88M a driver said it was cause of the carbon build up in the weapon. Plus a possibly the type of ammo I was using.

· Registered
69 Posts
I had the same issue after running about 100 rounds through it. My NCO (he is armour in the Army Im a 88M a driver said it was cause of the carbon build up in the weapon. Plus a possibly the type of ammo I was using.
I love it (My NCO). I miss hearing that.

Thank you for your service!

Back on task, my mini goes bang when I pull the trigger. I only use brass ammo and clean it after firing.

RC

· Registered
2,760 Posts
With the Ruger factory magazines and occasional cleaning, the Mini shouldn't be too picky about ammo. Hornady makes some excellent products, but I've never had the urge to shoot steel cased ammo, except out of an AKM. As others have said, try some brass cased ammo.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Just re-read the OP's "symptoms", it sounds like it feeds o.k., but then doesn't have the force to eject very far ( empty case hung up on the bolt) and not enough force to strip another round. I'd take apart the gas block and inspect the gas bushing and tube for obstruction/restrictions while you have it apart to clean. Normally the Mini's are so over gassed that they are super reliable, for one not to be, given good magazines and good ammo, seems like it might not be getting enough gas to cycle the action. Much less likely but something that might cause it to be slow in stripping another round is a weak recoil spring, but I've never heard of a spring being that weak. And also a possible cause of malfunctions could be using buffers that are too thick, but again, not as likely as the carbine not getting enough gas.

· Registered
740 Posts
When I bought my Mini, Ruger didn't sell Hi- cap magazines, but my Mini functioned perfectly with 20 Rnd. no name mags. However, I've never fired anything but brass cased 55 Gr. ammo. This includes Reman ammo and cheapo imported ammo as well as quality name brand ammo. BTW I lube my mini the same way I lube my Garand and I've never had an FTF or FTE. I hope you get the kinks worked out as I feel the Mini is one of the more enjoyable weapons out there. I hope you end up enjoying your Mini as much as I do mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.