Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got a chance to take my mini-ranch 14 (.223) to the range, but I was unable to get the round(s) to chamber from the factory magazine (20 round clip). Thought the mag might be defective, so I bought another with the exact same result. I'm sure both mags were fully seated. When I pull back on the bolt and observe through the ejection port, it looks like it just slides over the top of each cartridge by about a 1/16th of an inch. While I'm not Clint Eastwood, I'm not totally new to firearms (three years active duty in the Army a while back...anyone remember Grenada?), though this is my first Ruger product. It's got to be something simple I'm missing...does anyone out there have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Insert and lock your mag in place. Place butt of stock on your hip to hold rifle in place. grasp mag with left hand at bottom of mag and pull back and up on mag bottom. Use right hand to release bolt and let fly forward. If round will feed and chamber then you have a mag locking lug that is out of spec. That would be that raised portion of metal located on the rear upper part of the mag. I had this problem with one Ruger mag in the past and had to replace the mag.

If it still does not feed. I would look at sending the rifle and both mags back to Ruger for evalution and repair.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you do have to send it back its not a big deal. I recently had to send my 22/45 back for a minor repair. It was about a 2 1/2 weeks and I had it back. This was during Christmas and New Years so I was very pleased with the customer service.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can definitely see the round hole in the front of the magazine locked onto the small stud in the receiver/magazine well? This is visible with the bolt locked open as you insert the mag. I've certainly had magazines that were definitely inserted correctly into my Mini, that weren't... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts