Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started having FTF issues and tried several things such as polish the feed ramp, all new OEM mags, many many types of ammo. I have the majestic arms bank vault and TK extended mag release I bought a recoil spring kit that I haven’t started to experiment with yet. I have attached a couple pics of where it misfed and a pic of ammo after. Notice where the bolt is trying to pick up the round. Will a different recoil spring fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Have taken the mags apart and cleaned/polished the insides? That fixed my 22/45s FTF issues. Looks like the round is getting hung up in the mag. I shoot mini mags and that wax stuff really had my mags gummed up. After cleaning it all out and polishing the internals the wax doesn't seem to stick in the mags like it used to.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Some possibilities:

As mentioned, polishing the mags and lightly oiling the inside/front where the bullet noses rub will let the rounds feed up faster. Especially important with waxy lube ammo.

The steel and aluminum frame models need the bumper to keep the upper tight to the frame. The polymer models (22/45s) do not. So you shouldn't need the bank vault. It may be pushing the upper too high. Try again with it removed.

The TK mag release may not be holding the mag as high as the original. If the first 2 suggestions don't fix the problem, try again with the Ruger release. If that fixes the problem, call TK. I'm sure they will work with you to get you an extended release that doesn't have the problem. They stand behind their products.

You shouldn't need a different recoil spring. It looks like your bolt is cycling back far enough to pick the top round up. It's either starting out too low, or the second round isn't lifting the top round's rim fast enough.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
Some possibilities:

As mentioned, polishing the mags and lightly oiling the inside/front where the bullet noses rub will let the rounds feed up faster. Especially important with waxy lube.
NO, NO, NO! Never use oil on the inside of a magazine! It is guaranteed to attract unburied power and other debris and WILL cause feeding problems!

If you feel compelled to lube a magazine, use a DRY lube such as dry graphite or silicone spray.

Polishing the inside of the magazine is a much better solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had done the TK video polishing trick. I bought the VQ polished follower buttons. After having issues, I went and bought five new Ruger oem mags.
I do not use oil and have tried a very light dry silicone, but in the polished and new stock mags, there was no difference.

I did buy that bank vault when ordering the trigger on the phone. Wasn’t sure if I needed it, but they said it was an upgrade. I did give up and put the original back in with no change.

As I said, I have the spring kit and extractor I had never installed. Maybe I’ll trouble shoot the TK mag release avenue before adding things into the mix. There is a small bit of play, but I’m not sure how much was acceptable.
Oh, I had the TK bumpers on and swapped to original too.
I kinda wished I had saved my $$ and left this thing stock when it ran flawless.
I’ll report back after I try the release.

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I first got my mark iv hunter, I had feeding problems. The bullets would be bent to the point that they looked like they would fall out of the cartridge. However, I never had any dented cases. Turns out the cause of all of this, was the feed lips on the magazines. I bent them in with a pair of needle nose pliers, and all my problems ended.

I am not saying this is your problem, but it is worth a check. With the magazine full, the feed lips need to be tight enough so the top round comes out the front of the magazine, and not out of the top. If they are too loose, the front of the round will lift out of the magazine and screw up the geometry needed to successfully feed a round into the chamber. There are some very knowledgeable guys on here when it comes to the mark series pistols, much more than me, so I am sure you will get it straightened out. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
for mag issues, I like to polish the insides of the mag body and the follower with Meguair's Auto Polish. makes the insides slick but doesn't hold debris like oil will.

Used this technique to resurrect an 80-year old HiStandard magazine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
NO, NO, NO! Never use oil on the inside of a magazine! It is guaranteed to attract unburied power and other debris and WILL cause feeding problems!

If you feel compelled to lube a magazine, use a DRY lube such as dry graphite or silicone spray.

Polishing the inside of the magazine is a much better solution.
Sorry, but between my MKII and MKIII, I've shot well over 100k rounds since I've experienced any missfeeds. I suppose if you are one of the people that subscribe to the idea of "don't clean until you experience problems", then your claim of debris collection would hold some merit. Most powder residue collects on the front feed lips - not down inside where the bullets ride. I just run an oily patch down the front of the mag whenever I have my cleaning rod out to clean my chamber. And I take the mag down for a complete cleaning whenever residue has built up on the front feed lips.

I can't say that oil is any better than dry lube for this application, but I can tell you that my can of One-Shot sits in the same box of stuff I don't use any more as the old Hoppes #9. Deep Creep penetrating oil is my CLP and cleaning is easy peasy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have had feed problems. I've had my new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 target about a month and have fired maybe 400 rounds. I've been shooting several different types of ammo trying to check for tightest groups, as we start a new Bullseye league in about 2 weeks. If I start with a full mag of 10 first round loads fine, ejects, but doesn't pick up next round without me racking the slide. I usually have to tap the mag in then it cycles. So mag seems to drop a little when I fire. The difference in the mag lowering is barely noticeable like it slips off. I also occasionally get a round partially inserted and it will dent the shell and stick. But it is avout once or twice out of 50 rounds (shot a 100 today and it happened twice). I've been cleaning and polishing, it still hangs up a few times, but the scenario with the first round chambering and second not continues. Today my shooting buddy showed up with his, new to him, slightly used Mark III 22/45 and he gets the same issues with his gun. So we got this issue with 4 mags on two different guns. Any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Today my shooting buddy showed up with his, new to him, slightly used Mark III 22/45 and he gets the same issues with his gun. So we got this issue with 4 mags on two different guns. Any ideas?

Did you try bending the feed lips on the mag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I first got my mark iv hunter, I had feeding problems. The bullets would be bent to the point that they looked like they would fall out of the cartridge. However, I never had any dented cases. Turns out the cause of all of this, was the feed lips on the magazines. I bent them in with a pair of needle nose pliers, and all my problems ended.

I am not saying this is your problem, but it is worth a check. With the magazine full, the feed lips need to be tight enough so the top round comes out the front of the magazine, and not out of the top. If they are too loose, the front of the round will lift out of the magazine and screw up the geometry needed to successfully feed a round into the chamber. There are some very knowledgeable guys on here when it comes to the mark series pistols, much more than me, so I am sure you will get it straightened out. Good luck!
I would second this recommendation. Although I have not had issues with my Ruger MK pistol magazines, I have had the same problem with my Marlin 881. Pinching the feed lips on the cartridge carrier fixed it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi All,
Lots of folks talk about the feed ramp, at the same time the nose of the bullet slides up the ramp, the base of the cartridge must slide up under the extractor whilst bearing on the bolt face. I have been known to use a pencil with an eraser and very fine emery paper to slick up the bolt face. I'd recommend sliding the emery paper in the same direction the base of the case travels so up and down would be the direction.

Don't think about removing any metal, just polish it. Let us know if it works, I'd sure try this before bending any feed lips on my magazine. I don't think you can hurt anything unless it is really over done, be sure to use a very fine emery paper.
Best,
Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts