Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working an evening shift with the police department last Saturday when my partner and I were called upon to assist a fish and wildlife officer with a "difficult" offender.

We arrived to find the "fish and feathers" agent in a hot argument with a pair of guys in hunting camouflage over whether or not the cow elk in the back of the truck had been taken legally. I'm not an elk hunter, but the gist of the argument seemed to be whether the elk had been shot in the Hood game unit (where the elk season just opened) or the adjacent Santiam unit (where the season ended October 23rd).

Apparently, the game warden had spotted them on a back road in the Santiam unit with the animal in the bed of the truck; they, on the other hand, claimed that they had shot the elk in the Hood unit and were just driving through the Santiam unit (which doesn't actually make a lot of sense, given the roads).

Since we were just there for moral support, and since I had nothing of any consequence to add to the "discussion", I got out my flashlight and examined the carcass. Now, in fairness to the game warden, it gets dark pretty early and the two hunters were claiming that it was a cow elk, but what I found completely changed the nature of the discussion.

I'm not a wildlife biologist - my license only covers a single species - but I'm pretty sure that cow elks don't wear horseshoes and aren't typically branded.

Yep. Those two intrepid hunters had shot and field-dressed a mule (or maybe a donkey).

I gestured to my partner, who came over to see what I had found. After a brief whispered conversation, he asked the game warden to step over to the truck for a second. When he got a good look at the carcass, he shook his head and muttered something under his breath; then he motioned for the hunters to join him. My partner and I withdrew to a discrete distance (within easy TASER-shot) and pretended to not hear while the game warden chewed them out.

I'm not sure how this will eventually play out, since shooting a mule isn't exactly a violation of the game laws. I suspect it will end up as a civil case, with the owner of the mule suing the hunter for the cost of the animal. In addition, his elk tag is gone, which may hurt more than anything else.

Jim

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Now that's funny :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
He doesn't deserve to have a license if he can't tell the difference between a cow elk & a mule!!

BW

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
I remember reading of a dairy farmer in Vermont spray painting "Cows" on the both sides of a few in his herd. Not sure if it worked or not.

Sounds like the guy in Oregon made a jackass out of himself.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
That is a shame, someone lost an animal I am sure they where fond of to a couple of nimrods that were probable hunting with beer goggles on. Even if you made the mistake before you shot you should be able to tell the difference in species when you walk up on the animal. They didn't see the shoes when they loaded their kill into the truck?

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
Sure seems like the Game Warden would've looked at the body, right off the bat.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Sounds like stories we used to hear the old timers around here tell of NYC and New Jersey hunters(I'm assuming they were "city-slickers")coming up this way and doing similar.
No offense meant to current day NYC and New Jersey hunters(hopefully much more informed).

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Sounds like stories we used to hear the old timers around here tell of NYC and New Jersey hunters(I'm assuming they were "city-slickers")coming up this way and doing similar.
No offense meant to current day NYC and New Jersey hunters(hopefully much more informed).
No offence taken. :D

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a shame, someone lost an animal I am sure they where fond of to a couple of nimrods that were probable hunting with beer goggles on. Even if you made the mistake before you shot you should be able to tell the difference in species when you walk up on the animal. They didn't see the shoes when they loaded their kill into the truck?
It's a puzzle. I think that the comment about "beer goggles" may have been the explanation, although they seemed sober when I saw them.

Sure seems like the Game Warden would've looked at the body, right off the bat.
My thought was that he had followed these fellows from where he first saw them and they had refused to stop until they were in our jurisdiction (which isn't a hunting area); I'm still not entirely sure how this ended up in our town. Anyway, it was dark and there was an elk tag on the body and the hunters were argumentative (they were arguing that the game warden didn't have the authority to search their truck), so the game warden probably didn't get a good look at what was in the bed of the truck. I'm certain if he had, he would have recognized what it was faster than I did.

Jim

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Some "hunters" should not be allowed to have any device capable of killing more than a fly.
Some years ago a "hunter" went to the local corner store/bar to brag about his 60" 6 point Blacktail deer that weighed 800#. He bragged to one to many people though, a local Fish & Game warden, who quickly arrested him for taking a Tule Elk, which at the time were protected.
The stupid condition is not limited to the East coast.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hunters are supposed to be 100% absolutely sure about what the "target" is that they have in their sights and what lays behind it. Unfortunately, there's the folk that just shoot if something comes in their cross-hairs, and there's those who forget about the basic rules once they get all excited about a possible kill.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Funny how the term Nimrod went from "Mighty hunter before the Gods" to complete imbecile/blockhead by a mere cartoon character, Bugs Bunny, calling Elmer Fudd a "Nimrod."
First let me say that some of you are under the impression that because someone takes a firearm into the woods to kill things, that they are hunters.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. They are imbeciles/blockheads.

Illinois allows you to harvest a spike buck if the antler is longer than 3 inches.
Those that do, are not hunters. In my book.
A fork buck must be a real wall hanger for some of these so called "hunters."
People that take their AR into the woods simply to unload a full mag of FMJ rounds on an animal because it won't stop, and then kick it into the brush because it's now too shot up to eat...are not hunters.
People that shoot an 800# Tule Elk claiming it was a "massive" 60" Columbian Black Tail (that BTW, if you get a big one, CBT don't get much over 110# dressed. Like big dogs.) are complete idiots.
They are not to be considered hunters. In any conversation.
They did not go there with intention of embarking on a time honored tradition of hunting.
They went there just to kill stuff. Nothing more.
Didn't know what they were going hunting for, just something.
Those are not hunters.
Please don't lump those people, just because they have guns and go into the woods to kill things, in with those of us that don't take hunting for granted.
I would much rather harvest a crippled doe and eat my buck tag, than shoot a year old spike buck. Legal or not. Won't even take the bow off the rest or the rifle off safety.

Hard to believe some of the deer that are harvested when I stop by the butcher to drop stuff off.
Some still have spots. That's the hard one. Some are Button Bucks. A lot don't even look old enough to be out on their own. Much less large enough to take and call yourself a "Hunter."
Legal bag antlerless deer in Illinois. What a shame.
That is not hunting. They just like to shoot stuff. Whatever comes close to them. Different animal all together.
Don't care what they call themselves, these people are not hunters.

OK. End of rant.

Off Tuesday night to some private land around Lake of the Ozarks in Camden County, Missouri, to finish the last few days of Archery Deer and Turkey.
Burn some carbon and see if I can score that big whitetail before the big noise starts up on Sat.
Then start off Sat A.M. at first light, with Firearm Deer opener for the rest of the week.
12 days of pure Rut Heaven. Maybe even poke a bird for Thanksgiving. :cool:
Hopefully, have some pictures when I get back. Some with arrow holes. (Bear Domain tossing Carbon Express Maxima Reds and 100 gr. Rage Chisel tips)
Some with bullet holes big enough to toss a cat thru. (.308 Gunsite Scout with 180gr Remington core lokt. Lays 'em down hard! No tracking.) :D
If anything, I will have a bunch of clothes to wash. Seems I always get misted with deer urine. The mysteries of the wind.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hunters are supposed to be 100% absolutely sure about what the "target" is that they have in their sights and what lays behind it. Unfortunately, there's the folk that just shoot if something comes in their cross-hairs, and there's those who forget about the basic rules once they get all excited about a possible kill.

Fortunately, it's only a small minority of hunters who are idiots like these two. As with every other group of people, it's 2% of the group who cause 98% of the problems. Unfortunately, that 2% gets the vast majority of the media attention.

Jim

·
Registered
571 Posts
I can't help but suspect that they didn't stop for the ranger because they knew what their tag was attached to .... I can see one of them getting excited and pulling the trigger convinced that he was shooting at an elk .... unless a whold lot of beer was involved, there is no way I can see them field-dressing it and not figuring it out .... it did make a good story though

·
Registered
686 Posts
JEBar;1840009I can see one of them getting excited and pulling the trigger convinced that he was shooting at an elk .... unless a whold lot of beer was involved said:
I'm sure you are correct with part 1, but I guess the best solution they found to cover up the ****-up (they were hunting in the wrong region as well) was to field-dress the mule and remove the evidence.
They were just unlucky to run into a patrol.

Anyone here ever ate mule? How does it taste? Like horse?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts