Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mk 1 5.5 Bull Barrel circa 1980 that has never been fired until now, or I should say fired little and never cleaned until now.

First time I am pulling it apart and I for the life of me can't get the Main Spring Pint down. It rotates fully to the rear and up as the assembly should. I even tried a plastic punch on top to drive it south and no avail.

I have two other Ruger Mk II's and have had others in the past with some being a bit stiff, but this is crazy. I have never had the nightmare issues others have had disassembling these guys when the time comes for a deep clean.

Is there anything particular to the Mk I am not aware of?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got lucky and the pin was loose enough to move it with just a few bumps in the hand. Mind you this is after trying to figure out which way it needed to go with a .002 feeler gauge. There is no room in there so if you have to do this it's going to be time consuming and tedious as Bullseye indicated. I am going to check all of my Mk II's for this same thing to be sure.

Thanks for the info on the other post, saved another persons sanity!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
One way to prevent this from happening is to stake a few dimples in your MS housing, in very close proximity to the bolt stop crosspin, with a sharp pointed punch as a preventative measure. The pin itself is fairly hard and staking it directly on the end may result in a dulled punch point in just one or two staking attempts. The metal adjacent to the pin is a bit softer and will take the dimple more readily. All you are doing is increasing the friction on the pin to prevent slippage inside the frame. This is not a major occurrence in this model of pistol but it does seem to be happening with more frequency in the past several years. When it does happen it can be quite a chore to correct.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some pictures of the pin and the area would be nice. Its hard to understand exactly what is going on here. Very interesting.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One way to prevent this from happening is to stake a few dimples in your MS housing, in very close proximity to the bolt stop crosspin, with a sharp pointed punch as a preventative measure. The pin itself is fairly hard and staking it directly on the end may result in a dulled punch point in just one or two staking attempts. The metal adjacent to the pin is a bit softer and will take the dimple more readily. All you are doing is increasing the friction on the pin to prevent slippage inside the frame. This is not a major occurrence in this model of pistol but it does seem to be happening with more frequency in the past several years. When it does happen it can be quite a chore to correct.

R,
Bullseye
My new Mk III had the problem and I fixed it the way you suggested (figured it out myself). I used a sharp little punch and put a dimple on 2 sides (it doesn't take much-a light tap). One dimple firmed it up but I added a second for insurance.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If all this is just to clean the assembly couldn't you just soak it in kerosene or Ed's Red for a few days? Would there be a down side to this? I've never had my Mk I torn down to that level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts