Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone installed a Clark steel trigger and did a trigger job on my MK I. Now it is so light I can't shoot it. Where can I get drop in parts to get back to factory pull, and what do I need?

I've been reading about people putting MK I hammers in MK III's, but I can't find where to get them or triggers.

TIA!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've installed VQ sears, hammers, bushings, and triggers, and also Marvel triggers to good effect. I bet that just changing the sear and hammer to stock will get your pull weight up.

The sear and hammer from a Mark II or III should work.

Just in case you don't already know, the early guns have an e-clip that retains the trigger pivot pin, and they are really hard to spot. I had a tough time figuring that out the one time I did trigger work on an early gun.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Get a Mark II hammer and sear (and spring) from Ruger. But a Mark III hammer will not work on your Mark I; it is a different design due to the Mark III magazine safety.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
A Mark III hammer will work in a Mark I, but use it with the a Mark III sear, not a Mark I sear, and the original Mark I bushing. I've done it. Don't mix the old with the new when it comes to hammer and sear, though, on a Mark I. Use a Mark II/III sear with a Mark II/III hammer. Change both, not just one.

You can order a Mark II hammer and sear from VQ, but that will still be quite a light pulling trigger. If you want something heavier (and grittier) you will get heavier with Ruger OEM Mark II hammer and sear. Lots of those around from folks that have done VQ kits on their Mark IIs and IIIs. If that is too heavy, you can lighten and smooth quite a bit with some judicious stoning.

I'd try the new hammer and sear, first, before tackling the trigger. On a Mark I, the trigger can be a bugger to get out due to Mark I having a snap ring on the pin that holds the trigger. Of course, that may have been modified when someone put in the Clark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Take

I've modified my Mark III's. A Mark III hammer works just fine with a VQ Mark II sear and Mark II hammer bushing. I prefer the Clark Custom hammer bushing as it requires just a tad of fitting and tightens thing up a bit for a cleaner pull. Oddly I get a cleaner, better breaking trigger with the Mark III hammers than with the VQ's which are very pricey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts