Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mk. II that I've had for nearly 20 years. The gun ran flawlessly for years, but in the past few months, I am having repeated problems with light-strikes on the rounds.

All the internals are original, so I was thinking that the Recoil Spring Assembly (part # KA-57 on the Mk. II parts list) might need replacing.

Anything else that I should be considering?

Thanks for the help,

Jim

·
Registered
947 Posts
You should first check the firing pin channel in the bolt for accumulated build-up. Also in the bolt is the firing pin rebound spring, which have tended to kink or break over time causing the failure you've described.

A good bolt disassembly and cleaning may clear up your problems. When finished use a few drops of oil applied to a clean cloth and lightly wipe the parts with the cloth. Heavy oil application will cause powder residue to build-up more quickly.

Here's a link to bolt disassembly/reassembly http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm#bolt

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should first check the firing pin channel in the bolt for accumulated build-up. Also in the bolt is the firing pin rebound spring, which have tended to kink or break over time causing the failure you've described.

A good bolt disassembly and cleaning may clear up your problems. When finished use a few drops of oil applied to a clean cloth and lightly wipe the parts with the cloth. Heavy oil application will cause powder residue to build-up more quickly.
Bullseye,

Thanks for the response. I stripped the bolt down tonight, and it was rather ugly in there. Spring looked good, but the area needed some major cleaning.

I'm taking the gun to the range tomorrow to see if this solved the problem.

Thanks again,

Jim

·
Registered
947 Posts
That build-up was likely the problem. It was imparting drag on the firing pin and slowing the pin's momentum. I don't usually mess with cleaning the firing pin channel until I start getting light strikes. This usually takes about 5,000 rounds to gum up for me.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the range today. No light-strikes at all. I did have multiple jams due to the empty brass not clearing the ejection port before the start of the next round being chambered. This, in turn, trapped the empty brass between the new round (which had been only partially chambered) and the wall of the receiver.

I'm going to strip the bolt down again, but this time remove the extractor and get in there to clean thoroughly.

So, one problem down, one more to go.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,671 Posts
If you want to make your MK II functin flawless with almost all 22 LR ammo, try this or just install an "exact edge" extractor by Volquartsen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Went to the range today. No light-strikes at all. I did have multiple jams due to the empty brass not clearing the ejection port before the start of the next round being chambered. This, in turn, trapped the empty brass between the new round (which had been only partially chambered) and the wall of the receiver.

I'm going to strip the bolt down again, but this time remove the extractor and get in there to clean thoroughly.

So, one problem down, one more to go.
Usually when I have that problem, it is due to firing residue combining with oil on the bolt face to make sticky areas on the bolt. Happened faster when I had too much oil on the bolt. I'd also get it in the receiver. If you just went through a thorough bolt cleaning, that wouldn't appear to be the culprit.

I've also had the problem with some types of ammo (RGB's, heavily lubed Aquilla). Sounds like the VQ extractor would cover a few more bases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts