Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main spring pin was a pain to remove during disassembly. Had to drive out with a wooden dowel. Confirmed the hammer wasnt cocked before dpoing so. After a few good firm taps, it came right out. Cleaned the gun and now cant get the pin to fully insert on reassymbly..gets hung during last 0.25inch. Just wont click in.

I think this is the first time this gun has been apart.

Double checked..hammer is up and hammer spring is down and free and not blocking main spring, and bolt is fully closed.

Multiple attempts to jiggle, push, pull, confirmed receiver is mounted to barrel fully, oiled everything, etc. Just can't get pin to click in for the final 0.25 inch. The pin is just below the top of the barrel.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
689 Posts
There are several possible things that can cause problems inserting the bolt stop pin. I know you have verified some of these, but please bear with me.

1) The receiver needs to be fully back on the frame. It should protrude about 1/16" beyond the rear of the frame.
2) The receiver needs the mounting holes to be in line with the hole in the rear frame lug.
3) The hammer needs to be up in the forward/fired position.

Try inserting the pin without the bolt installed. If it goes in easily, these things are okay. If not, make the needed adjustment.

4) The pin needs to move up behind the half-moon shaped piece on the recoil spring.

Try inserting the pin with the bolt installed, but with the recoil spring assembly removed. It should install just as easily as with the bolt removed.

What I found is not all Ruger stop pins are made right. My Mk2 pin would insert fine, but my Mk3 pin had too much flat area on top and would hit the bottom of the recoil spring piece and push up against it. It took a hammer to get it in until I figured out the problem. Also - using the hammer made the front of the recoil spring guide rod peen the breech, and that in turn flared and split the end of the guide rod. Look at this pic:

The Mk3 pin is on the left. Notice how much bigger the flat area on the end is compared to the Mk2 pin on the right. My fix is the flat area outlined in the blue box. The other flat area above the blue box was intended to end the breech peening, but it's really not needed since I don't need a hammer to install the pin any more.

I hope this helps you get your problem fixed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Main spring pin was a pain to remove during disassembly. Had to drive out with a wooden dowel. Confirmed the hammer wasnt cocked before dpoing so. After a few good firm taps, it came right out. Cleaned the gun and now cant get the pin to fully insert on reassymbly..gets hung during last 0.25inch. Just wont click in.

I think this is the first time this gun has been apart.

Double checked..hammer is up and hammer spring is down and free and not blocking main spring, and bolt is fully closed.

Multiple attempts to jiggle, push, pull, confirmed receiver is mounted to barrel fully, oiled everything, etc. Just can't get pin to click in for the final 0.25 inch. The pin is just below the top of the barrel.

Any suggestions?
Kel3,

Hello and welcome to the RF!

I assume you are referencing the Main Spring "Stop" pin! Yes, it can be difficult to remove...had to do the same (dowel rod) on my "New MkII 6" Standard" the first time, both in dis-assembly and re-assembly. After that, it was snug but don't have to hammer on the stop pin anymore. Same situation with a used Mk Standard that had never been cleaned before my purchase.

If you have the hammer all the way up (in the fired position) and visually verified the "Hammer Strut" has cleared the sear spring pin, then possibly the upper receiver has slight play side to side when installed on the lower. My MkII SS Standard has to have perfect alignment for the stop pin to reinstall, then all goes well!! After getting the lowers front lug secured to the receiver, the back bolt ear's cut out on the receiver end should line-up horozontially and even with the grip's top flared ears, then I can slip the stop pin home, including the last 1/4"! Yours might vary slightly either way from "level".

Any burs or rough areas in the stop pin diameter could also be an issue...very fine 600-1000 grit abrasive could take care of that possibility?! Good news is, after a few dis and re assemblies, all goes together smoother and easier! (y)

Ted

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
The first couple times removing and re-installing the stop pin are very tight. It becomes a lot easier after it has been done a few times.

·
Exchequer
4,913 Posts
OP, welcome aboard.

Reassembly of the Standard and Mark I, II, and III can be, shall we say, challenging. And you are not the first to have some issues.

Assuming that there is no damage to any parts that might make the main spring impossible to get in, my guess would be that the hammer strut is not in the right position.

Not being a wise guy here, but I think your Mark II owners manual has a really nice, illustrated guide to reassembly. (That's what I used when I was struggling with my Standard.) It shows the steps to go through to get that hammer strut just right so you can insert the main spring easily.

If you do a search of this forum, you will see plenty of others who have had the same problem ...and plenty of advice on how to make it right.

Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also think the MkII instruction manual is excellent. I would download it and print it out, and READ it. I still keep my copy handy and refer to it when things don't go just right. I think it's page 22 that gets me out of trouble every time.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! First, I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I thought I would share my solution becuase it was something different than what was posted above. Test Engineer's suggestion to insert the pin without the bolt was a good one. I couldn't insert the pin from the bottom without the bolt but could fully insert from the top. So I thought I had a frame alignment issue. After confirming the receiver and barrel was fully seated....still couldn't get the pin in from the bottom but could from the top.

So I took a step back. Then I noticed a very small scratch in the frame where the main spring housing opening is located. Inspected the main spring and found a pin that had walked out ever so slightly. Inserted the main spring housing while focused on the pin and yup...it was catching the frame and preventing the pin from fully inserting. A good tap with a punch to seat the pin and bingo...pin snap in fully seated without much effort at all. So, my problem all along was a pin in the main spring housing was slightly out and needed to be reset.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts