Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gun is new to us as we just got it from the gun show. we did clean it and take it to the range. it shoots fine the only thing it wont lock the bolt back on the last round. it will lock it back if you put the empty magazine in
:confused:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from West Virginia

Does this happen every time after the last round is fired? What type of ammo are you using and does this problem occur with all types?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it had factury grips we just added hogue# 82060 grips to it and ordered a gunsmithing dvd for it. we called ruger they wanted me to overnight to them at $85.00 then they would let me know if they would fix it or not.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is it possible that the bolt stop is worn from improper use? If the bolt isn't held back while pressing down on the bolt stop when chambering the first round out of a fresh magazine the bolt stop will eventually wear down and not work correctly. This has not happened to me but I've seen pictures of worn bolt stops on rimfire central. If you check that site I'll bet you get the answers you're looking for. I did the slingshot mod on my 22/45 so all I have to do is pull the bolt back and release to close the bolt instead of having to press the bolt stop down, that is an easy and free mod, just pull out the bolt stop spring and detent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we have a spring kit on the way. but now it may be the bolt stop Ok we will get her rite. the bolt stop is that hard to change out?

·
Registered
947 Posts
No the bolt stop is not hard to change out, but is it worn? How about the lower front of the bolt face, is there wear there?

All you may need to solve this problem is to take out the bolt stop and the bolt release lever and thoroughly clean behind them. Any powder residue that has found its way back behind these and the timing of the bolt catch will be affected, causing a failure to lock under normal firing conditions, but you can manually lock open the bolt on an empty magazine.

R,
Bullseye

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,069 Posts
An issue I have found several time is ... too much oil was applied to the stop bolt and over a period of time it turned gummy between the frame and bolt stop. This makes the bolt stop sluggish and won't respond fast enough to autolock the bolt, yet it will still lock by manually holding the bolt back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to start with the oil. The first thing my wife said was too much oil.
How will a new spring kit benefit the gun?
Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Too much oil can attract powder residue much faster and gum up the stop. Remove the grip panels, then the trigger, and you can remove the bolt stop and bolt release for cleaning. Here's how to remove the trigger in your pistol. detailstrip

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
An issue I have found several time is ... too much oil was applied to the stop bolt and over a period of time it turned gummy between the frame and bolt stop. This makes the bolt stop sluggish and won't respond fast enough to autolock the bolt, yet it will still lock by manually holding the bolt back.
I am having this problem with a very new Mark III which I have a tendency to over-lubricate -- I've cleaned it up and off to the range to see if that solves the problem!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts