Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 4.5" threaded barrel model with fixed sights. Just dropped in a Volquartsen accurizing kit and saw my group size shrink dramatically! Just hit my first 10 consecutive shots in the 10-ring at 50 feet last week. :D

As for as accuracy goes, I'm hitting nickle size groups out to 12 feet and am pretty consistent inside the 9-ring at 20 feet on a 3" bullseye target. The front post is just too darn big at 50 feet, covering too much of the sight picture. Wish my eyes were getting younger, that's just not the case.

Taking it to the next level... Many posts include pictures with various red dot optics. I'd prefer an adjustable red dot or 3 MOA red dot, but am open to all suggestions.

What do you recomment that maintains the balance of the pistol?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have the 4.5" threaded barrel model with fixed sights. Just dropped in a Volquartsen accurizing kit and saw my group size shrink dramatically! Just hit my first 10 consecutive shots in the 10-ring at 50 feet last week. :D

As for as accuracy goes, I'm hitting nickle size groups out to 12 feet and am pretty consistent inside the 9-ring at 20 feet on a 3" bullseye target. The front post is just too darn big at 50 feet, covering too much of the sight picture. Wish my eyes were getting younger, that's just not the case.

Taking it to the next level... Many posts include pictures with various red dot optics. I'd prefer an adjustable red dot or 3 MOA red dot, but am open to all suggestions.

As for using the factory iron sights on a bullseye, use a six o'clock hold with the bull sitting on top of the sight, rather than the front sight cutting into the bull. Allows for more precise aiming. That's why bullseye competition shooters use a six o'clock hold with iron sights.

I love red dots. Most are small enough not to change the balance of the gun. The 3 MOA Bushnell TRS-25 is a dandy - small and very compact. For a red dot that will probably outlast you, try any of the Ultradots. Base models have a 4 MOA, but the Matchdots have adjustable dots and are very popular on the shooting circuits.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I love red dots. Most are small enough not to change the balance of the gun. The 3 MOA Bushnell TRS-25 is a dandy - small and very compact. For a red dot that will probably outlast you, try any of the Ultradots. Base models have a 4 MOA, but the Matchdots have adjustable dots and are very popular on the shooting circuits.
I have a MatchDot with the choice of 2, 4, 6, or 8 MOA dot. I immediately found I loved the 4 and simply leave it there, so same as if I had no choice.

The Ultradot Four offers choices of 4, 8, 12, or 16 MOA -- Why?:confused: I'm totally stumped as to what use 12 & 16 could have. I suppose larger dots would be useful for close quarters combat, but I don't imagine a 5" long tube is going to be used by a SWAT team.

They also have the Pan A-V: so what's the advantage/disadvantage of a flat panel vs tube style?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have a MatchDot with the choice of 2, 4, 6, or 8 MOA dot. I immediately found I loved the 4 and simply leave it there, so same as if I had no choice.

The Ultradot Four offers choices of 4, 8, 12, or 16 MOA -- Why?:confused: I'm totally stumped as to what use 12 & 16 could have. I suppose larger dots would be useful for close quarters combat, but I don't imagine a 5" long tube is going to be used by a SWAT team.

They also have the Pan A-V: so what's the advantage/disadvantage of a flat panel vs tube style?
I'm also one to keep things simple. I have no use for a 12 or 16MOA dot, either and I could care less about optional reticles and so on. I suspect that for some types of shooting and tactical work, all the options could be useful, but I like a simple, single dot. I suspect the flat screen gives you a bit wider view, but I do fine with several of my Ultradot 25s with their 4 MOA on various rifles and pistols. I do have one red dot with a 2 MOA on a 22 rifle that I find useful for precision shooting at 50 yards. Covers up just a bit less of the target. I find the 3 MOA on the TRS-25 to be a great compromise size.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been looking at red dots for my 22/45 threaded too. Ultradot Matchdot II is looking real good to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
North Country Gal - Appreciate both suggestions on Bushnell and Matchdot. Been considering the Bushnell and glad to see it gets a couple of thumbs up.

Have posted any pics of your pistol wih optic? Saw your handiwork in another post - nice shootin!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have on my MKIII target a TRITON™ 30MM TRI•COLOR RED•DOT, love it. Great field of view, 3 colors for different light settings, and not to expensive.

Was never a big "dot" kind of guy, but I am now!!

Well worth the money!

Great addition for me, anyway

M

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
North Country Gal - Appreciate both suggestions on Bushnell and Matchdot. Been considering the Bushnell and glad to see it gets a couple of thumbs up.

Have posted any pics of your pistol wih optic? Saw your handiwork in another post - nice shootin!
You are very welcome. Here's a pic showing my MKIII Hunter (lower gun) with the Bushnell TRS-25 and my Comp (upper gun) wearing a standard 2x pistol scope. You can see how much smaller and more compact the Bushnell is. What you can't see is how much lighter the TRS-25 is than a pistol scope. I think that lighter weight and size of the Bushnell would be a great match for a 22/45, which already feels a little top heavy compared to a Mark Hunter or Target, thanks to its polymer grip frame.

Here's a pic of a Mark III Hunter, 4.5" barrel with an Ultradot 25. Still a very light red dot and, of course, superb quality.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Not sure what your budget is, but I've used a couple of different red dots on my 22/45 Mark III Hunter and my favorite and most recent purchase is the Burris Fast Fire III with Ruger Dovetail Mount.

Prior to that, I was using an UltraDot 30mm and it was a really nice optic. It now lives on my 10/22.

The Burris carries a pretty hefty price tag, but it's a really nice piece.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Where did you purchase the Volquartsen accurizing kit? Do you have a part#? I just purchased the same 22/45.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lite

i have the LITE, with a ncstar holo type red dot, works great! just be sure to blue locktite the rail screws AND the front sight screws! they WILL SHOOT LOOSE!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what your budget is, but I've used a couple of different red dots on my 22/45 Mark III Hunter and my favorite and most recent purchase is the Burris Fast Fire III with Ruger Dovetail Mount.
What did this optic set you back? I'm in favor of buying right the first time, even if it means waiting a while to squirrel away a few nickels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is no rail on my MKIII 22/45. For those who have mounted optics, did you go to Ruger or aftermarket? I'd prefer to maintain my fixed sights if possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been looking at red dots for my 22/45 threaded too. Ultradot Matchdot II is looking real good to me.
Do you have a rail? Trying to see which ones fit this 4.5" with the threaded barrel. Also looking at adjustable sights, but not all front sights fit due to the threaded barrel. This is what I read on another forum somewhere.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is no rail on my MKIII 22/45. For those who have mounted optics, did you go to Ruger or aftermarket? I'd prefer to maintain my fixed sights if possible.
The Picatinny top rail will fit with fixed lights. Ruger sells the rail. You should still be able to use the fixed sights over the rail.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you have a rail? Trying to see which ones fit this 4.5" with the threaded barrel. Also looking at adjustable sights, but not all front sights fit due to the threaded barrel. This is what I read on another forum somewhere.
I put the Williams Firesights and the Ruger top rail on my 4.5 Threaded. Everything fits. Now I'm saving up for the MatchDot II while the ATF is sitting on my Form 4.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts