Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't put many rounds through the barrel yet maybe 125 but, was just wondering if the barrels come from the factory with the bores a little rough. Also, I haven't tried any mini mags yet just some Fed. Champion #510 and Win. Dynapoints the Dynapoints seem to group the best and most consistent. What's a good range to shoot at to first, make sure I have a good barrel? I don't have much experience pistol shooting mostly rifle shooting. The distance I shot from was about 10 yards with 10 rounds grouping around 1.5" bracing, across a porch rail. The star pattern on the crown looks very good and even should this be a pretty good indication that the barrel and crown are in good condition? I know I need lots of practice and need to find the ammo the gun prefers just like with rifles. I have some SK Standard plus I shoot with my Anschutz rifle should that perform fairly well and be strong enough to cycle the action properly? I just mainly want to make sure I have a decent barrel and if not, send it back to Ruger. Thanks for all info/ suggestions. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just shoot it and clean it once in a while. Run a brick thru it and give it a thorough cleaning. Buy several mags and get an Ultimate Clip Loader. I shoot only Fed bulk out of my Marks and have almost zero issues. Maybe one out of a brick will be a light fire/dud. I have been shooting these pistols for almost 30 years now and have yet to find a bad shooter.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Each new handgun should be disassembled, inspected and cleaned thoroughly prior to shooting.
This not only orientates you to the workings of the gun, it also gets rid of any factory debris/excess lube ect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
go 25 and 50. yds from a rest
use big sheets of paper if needed, shoot it a lot, wind will affect groups. I have m2 10" and made it to class AAA ihmsa with it
on a good day gun will hit an airgun chicken @75 meters about 50% of the time,iron sites. no you cant really see the target @75. u aim just above the post its sitting on. I also bought ammo buy the case to get same lot# than weighed them on bal. beam scale to help find the light or clunkers instead of finding them during compition. win super X shot best in it. evrn thunderbolts shoot good in it
and it seldom has jammed while shootin for score unlike some high priced target guns that will only shoot pricy ammo and jam several times during a 40 round timed event. the more u shoot a ruger the more u like them

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I usually start out with HV ammo with a new Mark for about 500 rounds, then start to feed it standard velocity stuff when things have loosened up a bit. Both of my Hunters love the HV loads, especially CCI min mags, anyway.

As for a "bad" barrel, forget it. That would be a very rare situation on a Mark, basically unheard of.

A lot of rimfire pistol competition is done at 50 feet, but to start, 7 or 10 yard is fine. Move out farther as you develop your skill.

Get a good bag/rest and head to a bench and go to work. If you haven't much experience pistol shooting, it is safe to say you haven't even scratched the surface of what a Hunter can do, especially if you are using iron sights. Takes a long, long time, years, in fact, to develop enough skill with a pistol to actually put the accuracy of any pistol to a test. Until then, the limiting factor is you, not the pistol. Pistol shooting is a much different game than rifle shooting.

Here's a sample of what a typical scoped Hunter can do at 50 feet from a rest. Target is a 7/8" orange stick on dot. 10 shots. My first range session with my latest Hunter. I know it can do even better if I work at it.

Keep the faith. You have one of the most accurate pistols made in a Hunter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually start out with HV ammo with a new Mark for about 500 rounds, then start to feed it standard velocity stuff when things have loosened up a bit. Both of my Hunters love the HV loads, especially CCI min mags, anyway.

As for a "bad" barrel, forget it. That would be a very rare situation on a Mark, basically unheard of.

A lot of rimfire pistol competition is done at 50 feet, but to start, 7 or 10 yard is fine. Move out farther as you develop your skill.

Get a good bag/rest and head to a bench and go to work. If you haven't much experience pistol shooting, it is safe to say you haven't even scratched the surface of what a Hunter can do, especially if you are using iron sights. Takes a long, long time, years, in fact, to develop enough skill with a pistol to actually put the accuracy of any pistol to a test. Until then, the limiting factor is you, not the pistol. Pistol shooting is a much different game than rifle shooting.

Here's a sample of what a typical scoped Hunter can do at 50 feet from a rest. Target is a 7/8" orange stick on dot. 10 shots. My first range session with my latest Hunter. I know it can do even better if I work at it.

Nice, looks just like mine minus the scope I plan to get one but, it won't be a Leupold though a little out of my price range. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Nice, looks just like mine minus the scope I plan to get one but, it won't be a Leupold though a little out of my price range. Thanks! :)
Plenty of other scopes at a more affordable price that will work for rimfire just fine. Let us know when you want to take that step and we'll help you find something.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plenty of other scopes at a more affordable price that will work for rimfire just fine. Let us know when you want to take that step and we'll help you find something.
Sure will, I had my Cataract removed finally but, I'm so used to scopes on my rifles for target shooting that would probably help me alot with my pistol also. Thanks again! :)

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Stainless bores are usually a little rougher than blued guns when new. All I do as a "break-in" is not to shoot the barrel hot for the first few hundred rounds. A little cooling off between mags or cylinder fulls, at least.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

North coutry gal you get any better there's only going to be one hole. Good greif Charlie Brown I wish I could shoot like that. :eek: :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks no here in Vegas we're still eating outside as long as we're in the sun. But hope in the car and in 45 mins we're sking.Got to love it. And plenty of desert to go shooting if you know the right places. Plus we've got a world class county range 2500 acres. We'll be able to shoot from horse back in the near future. It was written up in the NRA magazine when it opened and that's about 25 mins away. Best of all worlds.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Shooting from horses would scare me, to spooky the way they are. I saw an Amish shoot a shot gun from a horse one time and he pert near lost his seat. Barely hung on. Funny after it happened and over with.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes I agree it's not my bag either. But I guess some people want to see what it's like to be like on the plains when the buffalo roamed. Got me but they've get 2500 acres to play with. I'll stick to shooting my Hunter at paper from a bench.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I would think when they were on the plains even back in the day they would have been off the horse and shooting in a rest or prone position, but maybe not. Shooting off a horse is a very good way to get crippled up for life. Yes with you also I will stick to the bench.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shooting from horses would scare me, to spooky the way they are. I saw an Amish shoot a shot gun from a horse one time and he pert near lost his seat. Barely hung on. Funny after it happened and over with.
Heck, the first and only, times I was ever on a horse I spent more time on the ground than I did the horse. :D Good thing I was younger then cause it looked more like a rodeo. :)

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I've never worried about any Mark barrels. They're just too good to be of concern.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts