Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should the springs be replaced? Are there other parts that are considered to be “wear” parts that should be replaced? I’m guilty of just running box after box of ammo through my MK III without thought to maintenance and yet I swap out my 1911 springs as needed.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Marks are not like 1911s, where periodic spring changes are needed.

I have two Standards from the 60s and early 70s that shoot fine with their forty year old plus springs. Also have a Mark I from the 60s that had been so heavily used that one ear was missing from the recoil spring assembly and it still shot without a hitch. Still, for $18, I just replaced the recoil spring assembly and I expect it will go another forty years without any issues. Those springs on a Mark III will probably outlast you.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know springs wear out from being compressed and released over and over again so I thought maybe they needed to be replaced every so often. And I'm not sure if the bolt would ever where out. I've read that use of CCI Stingers will wear that or something else pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've read that use of CCI Stingers will wear that or something else pretty bad.
Just curious, why would anybody run lots of CCI Stingers through an MK?:confused:

Per Ruger's manual you're not supposed to use hyper-velocity ammo. I can only see doing so for pest control & hunting, but how many pests can you possibly have? It would seem the use of hyper-velocity would be pretty limited. This isn't like bulk pack ammo where you might well consume 500 rounds every time you take the gun out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Shoot them up, you're not shooting a vintage Hi Standard or a Model 41 Smith, you're shooting a Sherman Tank that doesn't know how to break. Honestly all I've ever heard of was an extractor needing replaced and I don't know how many 1000's of rounds it took to do that.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I couldn't possibly even estimate how many rounds I have put thru my MkII's & MkIII's, & they're still working 100%. I've used CCI Hyper Velocity sparingly, for a few groundhogs, but not on a regular basis. What purpose would they serve otherwise, that a standard .22LR wouldn't handle ??

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, I'm a massive user of Federal bulk. I only mention Stingers because they would be a quick way to see just what is going to wear out first or at least I would assume.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just curious, why would anybody run lots of CCI Stingers through an MK?:confused:

Per Ruger's manual you're not supposed to use hyper-velocity ammo. I can only see doing so for pest control & hunting, but how many pests can you possibly have? It would seem the use of hyper-velocity would be pretty limited. This isn't like bulk pack ammo where you might well consume 500 rounds every time you take the gun out.

Hi

As per Ruger CS CCI stingers should not be used in MK's

·
Registered
396 Posts
This one made in 1953 has a new finish, but has never had any parts replaced.
It still shoots and functions very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts