Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)

Hello:

If this is a terribly naïve question, please be gentle. I did an extensive pre-post search to hopefully not be redundant, but I may have missed something. I am getting back into shooting after some thirty plus years, and I have a new MK III Target. I installed the Weaver rail after talking to Ruger, correctly aligned with the unidirectional hole spacing and using red Locktite. I was super careful to solvent clean the screws and holes, dry them, put the rail on loosely first to ensure correct alignment, which looks perfect for the rail. Then I installed a Millett three dot sight using the Millett-supplied rings. The ring athwart clamp screws are solidly within the rail cutouts, and the ring bases are flat across the rail. But visually, it appears the rings are skewed or canted to one side. Definitely not a show-stopper, since obviously I rotated the scope to the pistol plane. But I wonder if I did something goofy and am just missing it. Can anyone more in tune offer insight?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Pwilson1204

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
First, I use blue loctite on my guns, in case I want to remove the scope and go back to iron. Red is probably overkill on a rimfire, but it will sure anchor that scope base!

Now and then, I do get a Mark or other semi-auto and I'll put a scope base on a notice that things look a bit canted to the eye. Sometimes this is actually a result of the way I'm holding the gun and not a matter of the rings being true to the action. I've also had cases of the scope mounting holes not being drilled top dead center to the action. The important thing is to make sure that the scope/red dot reticle adjustments are level when shooting the gun.

Unless things are radically off, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Canted red dot

There is nothing wrong with your installation. The problem is that the barrel/receiver is canted. There is enough play in the MSH pin to receiver fit to allow a small amount of cant to the barrel depending on how it is installed.
You may be able to move the receiver by pushing on the mount or if too tight,pull the pin and reinstall. Some put an index mark on the bottom of the Receiver and frame.It does not affect accuracy as the barrel and mount are still aligned.I just wear one slipper and one cowboy boot and everything looks in alignment.
Stew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello:

Just an update. Thanks for the kind input. I took it to the range, and it works great! The only downsides are using Position 9 to see the dot (sunny day), and the dot sure magnifies shakiness. I guess when you are aligning rear and front sights, you do not notice movement like seeing the dot skitter around.

Best regards,

pwilson1204

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Hello:

Just an update. Thanks for the kind input. I took it to the range, and it works great! The only downsides are using Position 9 to see the dot (sunny day), and the dot sure magnifies shakiness. I guess when you are aligning rear and front sights, you do not notice movement like seeing the dot skitter around.

Best regards,

pwilson1204
Glad we could help.

You're right, the apparent steadiness of iron sights compared to a red dot with no magnification is an illusion. Red dots just offer a more precise aiming point with everything in the same plane of focus, so the red dot makes those shakes a bit more obvious. It's worth it, though, because most folks shoot better with a red dot. Not to worry, you'll get used to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts