Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are new to the gun world. Our first purchase was a Sig Sauer P229, Sig Sauer Mosquito, and a Ruger .22 rifle. He is in the process of joining a local gun club in central New Jersey, so that we have a place to go target shoot, but it is a 3 month process. In the meantime, we went to an indoor shooting range in neighboring Pennsylvania. I have learned to shoot these guns and had fun. I have since started the process of applying for my own handgun permits (NJ is slow on this whole process). In the meantime, I have gone to our local sporting center and have picked out two guns of my own (who knew that I could get excited over a gun!) I have picked out a Ruger MK III .22 for my target shooting gun and have also picked out a Springfield XD 9mm for my home defense gun. They have been put on hold, and now I just have to wait for the permits to come in! I was warned that the Ruger isn't as easy to field strip, as the Springfield. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom!

Thanks!
Ann

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Ann...Greetings from SE South Dakota! I don't take the Rugers apart in my little gun shop; I tried a couple of times 30 years ago, but I am sure some of the members can help you. The Mark I, II and IIIs are great .22LR pistols. Last a lifetime! I also like the Springfield XD pistols with the safety on the backstrap. Some of the local PD do too. I have ordered a few for my customers, but in .40 and .45ACP. I am sure you will like your 9mm.

My wife is a NATURELOVER also. Flowers, birds, old windmills and old barns in the country, covered bridges that we see when we visit Iowa, turkeys, squirrels, raccoons, etc. She oil paints country scenes and also photos a lot of the same, and then sometimes paints what she photoed. Welcome to the forum! Regards...Ron.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
welcome glad to have ya with us

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome aboard,glad your here. Glad to see such a positive interest in firearms--proud of you and your husband. Jump right in anytime and share your knowledge with us.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome from another Jerseyite! I have a number of Rugers and others that I enjoy at my club. I invite you to shoot at my club with your husband if you can make the trip to Carteret. Let me know. There's a wealth of info here.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Welcome from Texas. What got me in trouble with the mk II dis-assembly was failure to read the manual. I find that if i take my time, read the instructions slowly one sentence at a time and do EXACTLY WORD FOR WORD doing the procedure as i read it, i can tear one down and put it back together. If i get too comfortable doing it or get in a hurry, i will leave out a minor half-step--such as correct position to hold the gun on a step which leads to trouble.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Read the take-down/disassembly portion of your manual, and have at it 3 - 4 times. Just like shooting, repetitive practice is all it takes. The MK series are great little .22's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Welcome here!

It is a good idea to join a club, not just to use a range but experienced shooters make great teachers and good instructions are a shortcut to becoming a good shooter.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy the site which is a lot of fun. Enjoy the shooting which is even more fun. Clubs are great places that are usually full of people happy to help new shooters with lots of advice and tips for better shooting.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome and enjoy! The MKIII will make a fine target gun. Waiting periods suck! Anticipation.... Dang! Now I got that song stuck in my head!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Greetings NATURELOVER,
Warmest of welcomes from Connecticut where the permit process is also a long one. Hope you enjoy the fellowship here and are active in the forums, great people and great guns, once again welcome.
peace

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Greetings and welcome to you NATURELOVER. Glad to have you on the forum. I think you will like the MKIII. One of our members here has made an instruction e-manual available that has a lot of information. You will have to e-mail Iowegan for his Mark IBOK. The Mark series can be a challenge but as 2Late45 says, practice makes it easy. I also like the Springefield XD, but prefer 45 over the 9mm. Good feel to those guns and they look great. Enjoy the sport. Which 22 rifle did you get? The 10/22 carbine? Great guns too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts